Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tyler's 04 slicktop 6spd Silvergrey MCS/Brembo/CSL/Karbonius/Nogaros/Supersprint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice touch on the hood vent. Just purchased one earlier today. For $37 and an FCP lifetime guarantee it's hard to say no.

Comment

When the last Supersprint groupbuy started up, I contemplated the idea of getting the best cats (HJS) so that I would no longer have to swap headers/sect 1 every 2 years for CA SMOG. I also contemplated just having some cheap cats welded into my straight pipes, but I wanted top quality and HJS cats barely lose any power. The retail price of the HJS is eye watering, but the GB discount was hefty enough, I pulled the trigger.

Despite the groupbuy taking a while, and issues with QC both in the manufacture and shipping of items, mine arrived in perfect condition, just in time for me to swap them in for my smog test that was due in a few weeks.

Beauts

Car up - I had noticed the giubo (OE, replaced in 2014-40k ago) had some new cracks forming, so I bought a new one (FCP warranty) ahead of time since you have to drop sect 1/2 to access D/S.

SS "S" pipes out

One of my other goals on this job, was to extend my muffler out a it more, especially (mostly) on the right side, to even the tips out. You can see how uneven it was, below. Yes, my tips are adjustable, but the factory metal piping that my tips attach to, are very short and there's no more room for me to bring the tips out further. (Only an issue with CSL diffuser)

Next, dropped v-brace and sect 2

Need to drop heatshield in order to reach CSB. Have to loosen CSB to push D/S back enough to get giubo out. You can access giubo without dropping sect 2 and heatshield, but then you're stuck.

You can see cracks on the giubo. Made it almost 40k of hard driving.

Click image for larger version  Name:	silvergHJSgiubo06.JPG Views:	0 Size:	73.3 KB ID:	147807

Giubo removed. Inspected the shift linkage. I had done it all recently enough, though, so still well lubed and everything looking as it should. (pictured is UUC DSSR & RE tranny bushes)

Click image for larger version  Name:	silvergHJSgiubo07.JPG Views:	0 Size:	77.6 KB ID:	147806

40k giubo vs. new. You can buy the cheaper Febi brand, and in the package will be a factory SGF. Save yourself like $100. (also pictured is a factory corteco centering bush that wasn't actually needed [don't waste your time/$])

Click image for larger version  Name:	silvergHJSgiubo08.JPG Views:	0 Size:	130.9 KB ID:	147808

Don't forget to push the CSB forward when torqueing, before you finish up.

Click image for larger version  Name:	silvergHJSgiubo09.JPG Views:	0 Size:	115.6 KB ID:	147809

Put copper paste on the new SS hardware and the O2s. O2s (post-cat) were replaced like 7 years ago for when I was passing smog with the euro headers/cat setup. Didn't use them with my v1s, so these are still pretty new.

Click image for larger version  Name:	silvergHJSgiubo10.JPG Views:	0 Size:	54.2 KB ID:	147810

New pipes ready to go in:

Click image for larger version  Name:	silvergHJSgiubo11.JPG Views:	0 Size:	172.9 KB ID:	147813

New gaskets:

Click image for larger version  Name:	silvergHJSgiubo12.JPG Views:	0 Size:	82.4 KB ID:	147811

Before installing the sect 1, I routed the O2 plugs through a hole in the heatshield (made when I had euro cats) and run along the tunnel, driver side

Click image for larger version  Name:	silvergHJSgiubo13.JPG Views:	0 Size:	101.1 KB ID:	147812

Hello

Click image for larger version  Name:	silvergHJSgiubo14.JPG Views:	0 Size:	179.2 KB ID:	147815

Once the pipes are installed, I pulled the O2 plus as far forward as possible, to meet the harnesses that need to be run behind the airbox and down tranny/clutch line area (already done in 2014). They'll reach a bit past the tranny brace. It's actually a good area for them to meet the harnesses as there are already some clips for the wiring of the tranny sensors.

Click image for larger version  Name:	silvergHJSgiubo15.JPG Views:	0 Size:	39.4 KB ID:	147814

Before removal, I had marked (sharpie) where the S pipes settle on the header outlets. I wanted to install the new pipes about 3/16-1/4" further back:

Click image for larger version  Name:	silvergHJSgiubo16.JPG Views:	0 Size:	145.7 KB ID:	147816

I also shimmed the passenger side hanger with some rubber blocks. This helped push this side out a little more.

Click image for larger version

Name:	silvergHJSgiubo17.JPG
Views:	913
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	147821

Here's the end result:

Name:	silvergHJSgiubo18.JPG
Views:	914
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	147823

Name:	silvergHJSgiubo19.JPG
Views:	931
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	147824

For me, this is perfect. While I miss having some more exhaust noise sometimes, I don't think I'll touch this setup now that I have it exactly how I want. I'll put a muffler on my other M3 to enjoy those sounds.

Name:	silvergHJSgiubo20.JPG
Views:	928
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	147822

In the wild:

Name:	xmaseve2111.JPG
Views:	924
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	147825

Name:	HiddenValley10.JPG
Views:	939
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	147826

Impressions: Shit, the cats eliminated all the drone and rasp 😭 Bright side - the airbox is even "louder." Power-wise, I've always noticed an increase in responsiveness when going catless, then a bit less when I would swap back. I have to say, these HJS are incredible. No perceivable loss at all, and zero smell, I mean zero. Seems like even less than stock, from memory.

Overall, the engine/exhaust sound is a little too calm for my tastes (I like a little drone and overall raspy nature). The airbox is the shining star, and that makes up for it.

in a perfect world, I'd have an electronically controlled "dump" installed at the end of sect 2, and open it up as desired. Maybe one day.

Next up is swapping the airbox back to stock, stock tune, and getting a smog test. We'll see if the cat/o2 monitors go green
      🤞
      Last edited by Tbonem3; 01-12-2022, 02:01 PM.
      DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
      /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
      More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Holy smokes, your attention to detail, process, and sophisticated taste is inspiring. I thought I was OCD about my car, but I'm like a fat kid ( cause I am ) who plays Sunday football in the park compared to you . . . 250 LBS NFL Linebacker. And as you know, I have already stolen some of your ideas, like the Sportline wheels But, I still have so many questions, mostly related to the actual wrenching, as I am always so nervous I'll mess up 5 things to work on one This is my favorite thread, thank you for all the hard work and effort!

Comment

Ha thanks! I guess it just comes naturally because I've always done this sort of stuff since I was a little kid. But that doesn't mean you can't learn! Almost all mistakes can be fixed too. I'm also spoiled by having 2 garages, lots of tools, time, desire, etc... Oh and covid cash / trump/biden bucks I shouldn't have gotten 😂

Comment

Cleanest stock muffler I have ever seen hands down!

Nice update bro.
            2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
            2005 BMW ///M3
            Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
            2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
            2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
            2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

CA Smog time

As you saw, I put quality cats into sect 1, partly for smell, but mostly so that the car would be pretty smog ready at any given time. Now all I have to do is swap out the airbox and ECU tune, and I'm ready to test after.

Unfortunately, the entire strut bar must be removed, so keep the car on the ground and fixed so that alignment (camber) isn't lost. Though, I did mark my camber on my towers since I just got an alignment.

Name:	smog221.jpg
Views:	857
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	152999

Airbox off

Name:	smog223.jpg
Views:	880
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	152996

Looks stock to meeeee

Name:	smog222.jpg
Views:	828
Size:	178.9 KB
ID:	152998

After stock tune, I'm able to get monitors to pass pretty quickly. The HJS cats ain't slackin.

Name:	smog224.jpg
Views:	813
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	152997

Passed with ease. My guy does a quick look in the engine bay, makes sure I've used my scanner to confirm readiness so we don't waste each other's time, and he's done in 5 minutes. With the HJS, there's no smell, so there's no thought that the car isn't stock underneath either.

Name:	smog225.jpg
Views:	832
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	153000

Back home, do the reverse

Name:	smogback2201.jpg
Views:	825
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	153002

Name:	smogback2204.jpg
Views:	820
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	153001

Name:	smogback2205.jpg
Views:	826
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	153003 Click image for larger version

Name:	smogback2206.jpg
Views:	817
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	153004

Name:	smogback2208.jpg
Views:	821
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	153006

Did a little polish/wax

Name:	smogback2210.jpg
Views:	823
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	153005

Till next time...

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                When the last Supersprint groupbuy started up, I contemplated the idea of getting the best cats (HJS) so that I would no longer have to swap headers/sect 1 every 2 years for CA SMOG. I also contemplated just having some cheap cats welded into my straight pipes, but I wanted top quality and HJS cats barely lose any power. The retail price of the HJS is eye watering, but the GB discount was hefty enough, I pulled the trigger.

Despite the groupbuy taking a while, and issues with QC both in the manufacture and shipping of items, mine arrived in perfect condition, just in time for me to swap them in for my smog test that was due in a few weeks.

Beauts

Car up - I had noticed the giubo (OE, replaced in 2014-40k ago) had some new cracks forming, so I bought a new one (FCP warranty) ahead of time since you have to drop sect 1/2 to access D/S.

SS "S" pipes out

One of my other goals on this job, was to extend my muffler out a it more, especially (mostly) on the right side, to even the tips out. You can see how uneven it was, below. Yes, my tips are adjustable, but the factory metal piping that my tips attach to, are very short and there's no more room for me to bring the tips out further. (Only an issue with CSL diffuser)

Next, dropped v-brace and sect 2

Need to drop heatshield in order to reach CSB. Have to loosen CSB to push D/S back enough to get giubo out. You can access giubo without dropping sect 2 and heatshield, but then you're stuck.

You can see cracks on the giubo. Made it almost 40k of hard driving.

Click image for larger version Name:	silvergHJSgiubo06.JPG Views:	0 Size:	73.3 KB ID:	147807

Giubo removed. Inspected the shift linkage. I had done it all recently enough, though, so still well lubed and everything looking as it should. (pictured is UUC DSSR & RE tranny bushes)

Click image for larger version Name:	silvergHJSgiubo07.JPG Views:	0 Size:	77.6 KB ID:	147806

40k giubo vs. new. You can buy the cheaper Febi brand, and in the package will be a factory SGF. Save yourself like $100. (also pictured is a factory corteco centering bush that wasn't actually needed [don't waste your time/$])

Click image for larger version Name:	silvergHJSgiubo08.JPG Views:	0 Size:	130.9 KB ID:	147808

Don't forget to push the CSB forward when torqueing, before you finish up.

Click image for larger version Name:	silvergHJSgiubo09.JPG Views:	0 Size:	115.6 KB ID:	147809

Put copper paste on the new SS hardware and the O2s. O2s (post-cat) were replaced like 7 years ago for when I was passing smog with the euro headers/cat setup. Didn't use them with my v1s, so these are still pretty new.

Click image for larger version Name:	silvergHJSgiubo10.JPG Views:	0 Size:	54.2 KB ID:	147810

New pipes ready to go in:

Click image for larger version Name:	silvergHJSgiubo11.JPG Views:	0 Size:	172.9 KB ID:	147813

New gaskets:

Click image for larger version Name:	silvergHJSgiubo12.JPG Views:	0 Size:	82.4 KB ID:	147811

Before installing the sect 1, I routed the O2 plugs through a hole in the heatshield (made when I had euro cats) and run along the tunnel, driver side

Click image for larger version Name:	silvergHJSgiubo13.JPG Views:	0 Size:	101.1 KB ID:	147812

Hello

Click image for larger version Name:	silvergHJSgiubo14.JPG Views:	0 Size:	179.2 KB ID:	147815

Once the pipes are installed, I pulled the O2 plus as far forward as possible, to meet the harnesses that need to be run behind the airbox and down tranny/clutch line area (already done in 2014). They'll reach a bit past the tranny brace. It's actually a good area for them to meet the harnesses as there are already some clips for the wiring of the tranny sensors.

Click image for larger version Name:	silvergHJSgiubo15.JPG Views:	0 Size:	39.4 KB ID:	147814

Before removal, I had marked (sharpie) where the S pipes settle on the header outlets. I wanted to install the new pipes about 3/16-1/4" further back:

Click image for larger version Name:	silvergHJSgiubo16.JPG Views:	0 Size:	145.7 KB ID:	147816

I also shimmed the passenger side hanger with some rubber blocks. This helped push this side out a little more.

Name:	silvergHJSgiubo17.JPG
Views:	913
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	147821

Here's the end result:

Name:	silvergHJSgiubo18.JPG
Views:	914
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	147823

Name:	silvergHJSgiubo19.JPG
Views:	931
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	147824

For me, this is perfect. While I miss having some more exhaust noise sometimes, I don't think I'll touch this setup now that I have it exactly how I want. I'll put a muffler on my other M3 to enjoy those sounds.

Name:	silvergHJSgiubo20.JPG
Views:	928
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	147822

In the wild:

Name:	xmaseve2111.JPG
Views:	924
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	147825

Name:	HiddenValley10.JPG
Views:	939
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	147826

Impressions: Shit, the cats eliminated all the drone and rasp 😭 Bright side - the airbox is even "louder." Power-wise, I've always noticed an increase in responsiveness when going catless, then a bit less when I would swap back. I have to say, these HJS are incredible. No perceivable loss at all, and zero smell, I mean zero. Seems like even less than stock, from memory.

Overall, the engine/exhaust sound is a little too calm for my tastes (I like a little drone and overall raspy nature). The airbox is the shining star, and that makes up for it.

in a perfect world, I'd have an electronically controlled "dump" installed at the end of sect 2, and open it up as desired. Maybe one day.

Next up is swapping the airbox back to stock, stock tune, and getting a smog test. We'll see if the cat/o2 monitors go green
                🤞
                could I get the part number for hJS cats plz?

I fed up from the smell of exhaust

Comment

Originally posted by Rudbari View Post

could I get the part number for hJS cats plz?

I fed up from the smell of exhaust
                  Here's one for sale:

You can go on Turner or ECS's website to get the SS part #. I don't recall.

Comment

Hey T i was thinking of welding in some HJS cats into my SS catless 044012, would you happen to know the size of the pipes?

Comment

if it's for the v1 stepped like me, it's 2.5" or 63.5mm o.d.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                        if it's for the v1 stepped like me, it's 2.5" or 63.5mm o.d.
                        it is, Thank you buddy. looking at the prices might have to invest in a new set of pipes from SS. Might wait for a good sale this year.

Comment

Getting ready for 2022 now. No big plans, I still have a rear seat delete to get to, but am just doing a maintenance polish and seal with Mother's CMX protocol to get the car to its glossiest.

This is CMX polish with green (light polish) CSS pad, then CMX sio2/tio2 "ceramic" sealant applied.

Name:	CMXrd209.jpg
Views:	662
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	159011 Click image for larger version

Name:	CMXrd203.jpg
Views:	679
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	159012 Click image for larger version

Name:	CMXrd201.jpg
Views:	682
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	159013 Click image for larger version

Name:	CMXrd206.jpg
Views:	696
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	159010

First meet of the year for me (end of Jan), in Malibu

Name:	20220127_105145.jpg
Views:	677
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	159014

Name:	20220202_224813.jpg
Views:	671
Size:	223.2 KB
ID:	159015

I missed having some exhaust noise too much, and put the OM SCORZA muffler back on. Kind of a shame, because I got the stocker perfect with the lemans tips, but oh well. The tips on the the og scorza are already perfect. Just needed a little polish.

Name:	SilvergScorza1.jpg
Views:	670
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	159016 Click image for larger version

Name:	SilvergScorza2.jpg
Views:	686
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	159017 Click image for larger version

Name:	SilvergScorza3.jpg
Views:	685
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	159018 Click image for larger version

Name:	SilvergScorza5.jpg
Views:	707
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	159019

Name:	SilvergScorza6.jpg
Views:	693
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	159020

Name:	SilvergScorza7.jpg
Views:	669
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	159021

I got some videos I'll have to upload to youtube and link here. Car sounds so good. I think it was a little too much last time, being catless, but with the HJS cats now, it sounds so good. The HJS cats do calm it just a tiny bit, but not that much. The HJS are not "stuffy" sounding like most cats.

Comment

Comment

Sounds great. Car looks beautiful as always.
                              Past: '99 Hellrot/Dove M3 | '97 S14 1JZ | '06 Triumph Daytona 675 | '01 330I M-Tech I '99 Silvia S15 | Current: '96 Estoril/Black M3

Instagram

Comment

Thank you!

OP updated with mods list

Comment

Working...
                                X