Black & Tan 332iT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black & Tan 332iT

I've been putting off starting this thread for a long time, and each time I work on the car I wish I had a place to drop updates. I'll start off here and fill in the details as I go along.

Background: I grew up working at my father's indy BMW/Mini shop, owned many BMWs, several Porsches and one 50 year old jag that's now electric. I'm an engineer, a couple different types by degree and trade and can't seem to leave my cars alone.

I was previously driving a '21 Taycan cross turismo 4s, which is a fantastic car, but it just didn't have the spirit of something fun and playful like some of the older cars with lower limits. I'd toyed with the idea of building an s54 e46 touring for years, and finally decided to plunge in. I called an old friend (Kaiv on the forums) who has gotten pretty good at these and asked about whether he knew of a clean black chassis wagon for sale. *Fun fact, I used to program some of Kaiv's s54 swaps some ten plus years ago, when I owned an e46 M3* Kevin did me one better and hooked me up with one of his already swapped and BAR'd cars from years past! It needed a lot of work but the engine and driveline were all in great running condition, and it saved me a lot of effort.

I picked it up in May this year as a black/grey swapped touring, lowered on soft springs (mostly bump stops) and it needed a significant amount of work to make it proper. Many invested hours later, it's now black/natural brown and has been completely gone through and drives about as close to a new e46 as any I've driven since I worked on them when they were new. It's my DD, so it must be smooth and quiet.

Some details:
    2002 Sapphire black/natural brown/black cube 332iT
    206k miles (time of post)
    s54 engine with ~160k miles - vanos, bearings, cooling system, hoses, etc all replaced
    M3 driveline, MK60, subframe, diff, suspension
    ZCP+996 brakes (fit under 17s)
    square 17x9 et46/et40 ARC-8 wheels (et52 with spacers)
    245/40/17 PS4S tires
    CSL airbox conversion, with working flap, and both sets of ducting routed to the brake duct (pre- and post-flap)
    SS V1 headers + catted section 1 (joined both pipes together to keep the tubes from resonating/vibrating at idle)
    Stock section 2 with welded e36 M3 muffler
    Spare* SS dual 2.5" resonated section 2 and dual 2.5" e46 non-m swap muffler
    ZHP bumpers and ZHP/M3 ducting

Other OEM-like retrofits:
    Wavetrac diff, new CV joints
    M-track mode, DSC button wired to wiper stalk "S" intensive wash button
    TPMS and sport button both function correctly (all console buttons I guess)
    Recaro sportster CS seats, trimmed in natural brown with OEM compatible heating and electric fore/aft + memory
    Retrofitted auto headlights & wipers + quad blink turn signals
    AVIN Android/CarPlay head unit
    BavSound speakers
    Reverse camera
    Alarm siren for lock/unlock
    Lighted M3 shifter/boot
    M3-like sedan dead pedal
    Koni shocks for the stock springs
    e89 Z4 stock RTABs + outer limiters and poly subframe bushings
    ECS extra-adjustable lower control arms
    All other bushings everywhere are M3 and new
    Low profile roof rack with two mountain bike capable bike racks [since removed]
    Every piece of plastic that touches something has been felted, there are no squeaks in this car
    CSL alignment specs but -2.1 camber in front
    Auto-dim e46 style mirror with late-model, F10 rolling code homelink buttons and short grey clown nose
    Hotchkis front sway bar with CSL bushings
    CSL rear sway bar
    19lb lithium antigravity battery
    Cabrio steering column Bluetooth microphone
    Custom DME tune
    OEM gloss black shadowline window trim (a la 330i ZHP)
    Rebuilt 712 14.5:1 steering rack
    LPSR solid steering shaft
    Stealth vincebar RACP reinforcement
    Black headliner reupholstery with OEM thickness material
    Custom Stealth hitches trailer hitch mount using factory BMW hitch adapter
    OEM M3 washer fluid reservoir setup + check valve
    Roof rack/rail delete
    Slon front strut/cowl brace, new windshield cowl cover​
    M3 rear v-brace

I think that's the most of it, stick here for updates as they come. On to a random selection of pictures..

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2448.jpg Views:	3 Size:	159.2 KB ID:	195929 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2024.jpg Views:	3 Size:	168.7 KB ID:	195930 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2629.jpg Views:	3 Size:	89.2 KB ID:	195931 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2995.jpg Views:	3 Size:	138.9 KB ID:	195932 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3272.jpg Views:	3 Size:	136.6 KB ID:	195933 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3302.jpg Views:	3 Size:	131.9 KB ID:	195934 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3128.jpg Views:	3 Size:	133.0 KB ID:	195935 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2016.jpg Views:	3 Size:	141.8 KB ID:	195936 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3130.jpg Views:	3 Size:	143.3 KB ID:	195937 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2433.jpg Views:	3 Size:	202.1 KB ID:	195938 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2355.jpg Views:	3 Size:	239.6 KB ID:	195939 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3008.jpg Views:	3 Size:	237.0 KB ID:	195940 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2050.jpg Views:	3 Size:	231.0 KB ID:	195941 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3026.jpg Views:	3 Size:	334.2 KB ID:	195942 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3218.jpg Views:	3 Size:	313.7 KB ID:	195943 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3217.jpg Views:	3 Size:	321.4 KB ID:	195944
    Last edited by Bry5on; 11-18-2023, 06:32 PM.
    ‘02 332iT / 6 | ‘70 Jaguar XJ6 electric conversion

Nice, the front seats came out great!

Originally posted by Bry5on View Post
    Install solid subframe bushings (*maybe, I need rides in cars*)
    You're welcome to drive mine whenever. Decently similar to yours. Only big differences I can think of are poly diff bushings and the springs.
    2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
      Nice, the front seats came out great!

You're welcome to drive mine whenever. Decently similar to yours. Only big differences I can think of are poly diff bushings and the springs.
      Thanks, yeah the seats really worked out. I ended up having to modify the EEPROM data in the switching console to get all the heat levels to be the correct temp, but it's all gravy now.

Those diff bushings really invalidate the test I remember that you have more diff whine than I do and I'm sure it is mostly due to the poly bushings. Diff whine is my main concern for this car..

Comment

Yeah thought that might be a bit of a deal breaker. Been meaning to swap in a stock diff cover, but I don't really drive my M3 too much on the street anymore, so it's not high on the priority list.
        2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

Comment

Yeah thought that might be a bit of a deal breaker. Been meaning to swap in a stock diff cover, but I don't really drive my M3 too much on the street anymore, so it's not high on the priority list.
          Well come on over if you ever do get to it. I also just got a set of quick jacks, so if you ever need a little bit of working room beyond your miniature garage..

Comment

I was feeling motivated last night, so I finally signed up for OnShape and designed up some seat mount brackets for the recaros that still use the OEM electric sliders. There are a couple really tight clearances under there so I added two different mounting options. I'm hoping that one of them clears as I'd love to sit just a little bit lower (~3/4").

One option is biased to the center of the car like stock, but my legs max out the slider travel in this position. The other trades clearance to the bottom of the recaros by bringing the seats 4mm toward the door but gives me a half inch of extra rearward travel. Hopefully I'll get some time in the shop this weekend to knock these out, otherwise it'll be a while before I have free time.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-12-13 at 9.51.59 PM.png
Views:	1830
Size:	286.8 KB
ID:	196253

Comment

Awesome build!

Comment

Got some time on the machines, first articles are done. Test fit to come this weekend, these will be as low as possible with the OEM sliders.

Name:	F0389E93-DE29-47B7-B232-65536723209F.jpg
Views:	1779
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	196518 Click image for larger version

Name:	3CFA6D0A-E307-4664-8BA8-DD1F5B87536A.jpg
Views:	1720
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	196519 Click image for larger version

Name:	8A2600CE-D0E7-42C1-BD29-6552F931D3E2.jpg
Views:	1761
Size:	220.7 KB
ID:	196531
                Last edited by Bry5on; 12-16-2022, 10:35 PM.

Comment

Nice, those look great. What did you make them out of?

Comment

This build is awesome! Absolutely everything about it - the chassis, attention to detail and thought that went into it are all amazing. Thanks for taking the time to post details about it.

I also very much like that you have something with knobbly bit tires on top of it Mountain biking is my number 2 interest behind the automotive drug, so always love it when I see people combining the two hobbies like this.

Have a few questions for you're willing.

Every piece of plastic that touches something has been felted, there are no squeaks in this car
                    How did you felt them? Is there a cloth tape you used (easy) or are you doing something similar to flocking a dashboard and apply adhesive + small fibers (more involved) on the hidden, overlapping areas?

SS V1 headers + catted section 1 (joined both pipes together to keep the tubes from resonating/vibrating at idle)
                    Have any pics of this? Curious how you joined section 1.

This pic below - what are the small holes for? For a x-mas tree clips to secure wiring or do they have another function? Those Recaros look spot on in the car, BTW.

Name:	Recaro brackets.jpg
Views:	1772
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	196536

Install the M3 brake master and booster (I hate bleeding brakes)
                    Especially MCs. Brakes aren't so bad, but bleeding MCs and the ABS unit... one of my least favorite things.
                    Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Nice, those look great. What did you make them out of?
                      Went with 11ga A36 steel. Easy to bend, not a lot of spring back, cheap and plenty strong.

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post
                      This build is awesome! Absolutely everything about it - the chassis, attention to detail and thought that went into it are all amazing. Thanks for taking the time to post details about it.

I also very much like that you have something with knobbly bit tires on top of it Mountain biking is my number 2 interest behind the automotive drug, so always love it when I see people combining the two hobbies like this.

Have a few questions for you're willing.

How did you felt them? Is there a cloth tape you used (easy) or are you doing something similar to flocking a dashboard and apply adhesive + small fibers (more involved) on the hidden, overlapping areas?

Have any pics of this? Curious how you joined section 1.

This pic below - what are the small holes for? For a x-mas tree clips to secure wiring or do they have another function? Those Recaros look spot on in the car, BTW.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Recaro brackets.jpg Views:	4 Size:	132.9 KB ID:	196536

Especially MCs. Brakes aren't so bad, but bleeding MCs and the ABS unit... one of my least favorite things.
                      Thanks, glad to hear someone else is into mountain biking! My friends got into gravel riding recently so I’ve finally built one of those up just to be able to keep riding with my buddies. It’s pretty good too, not the same though.

I’ll try to hit all the questions one by one:

For the squeaks, I’m basically using five things(in order of quantity); 3/4” tesa tape, 2” tesa tape, cut to size adhesive backed felt sheets, cut to size adhesive backed 3/8” closed cell foam, and 1” x ~1/8” butyl rolls. Between those five, you can get just about everything.

Version 1 of the SSv1 bracket, which didn’t pass the fatigue test after 1 week of driving (.032 titanium):
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	7540E299-AE5B-4979-8B31-B105209F9A78.jpg Views:	0 Size:	108.4 KB ID:	196560 Click image for larger version  Name:	7D7D032D-FA76-41E3-A8CB-9A4DD43114EB.jpg Views:	0 Size:	106.1 KB ID:	196561

Version 2, which has been going strong for several weeks now, dead simple, and I’m confident it’s good (.063” stainless):
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	20F377B9-CDBB-4B2C-AA4D-6F39B30A6827.jpg Views:	0 Size:	129.1 KB ID:	196562 Click image for larger version  Name:	6DB4ADF4-1BB8-42DD-9126-1F7ED0A1C40B.jpg Views:	0 Size:	130.1 KB ID:	196563

Nice eye. The small holes are for the yet to be designed Mount for the fwd/aft seat motor switch. I haven’t really decided if that’ll be sheet metal or 3D printed yet.

not loooking forward to bleeding that master. I think I’ll back bleed it by removing the calipers, compressing them with the pedal (filling the pistons), swap MCs, then back bleed by compressing the caliper pistons again. I’m hoping that will get most of the job done, but MCs can be a real bitch.
                      Last edited by Bry5on; 12-17-2022, 07:29 AM.

Comment

This touring couldn't have gone to a better home! ☺
                        IG: @limited.slip

Imola Red E46 330i ZHP Sedan S54 6MT
                        Alpine White E90 M3 6MT
                        Alpine White 1 Series M
                        A̶l̶p̶i̶n̶e̶ W̶h̶i̶t̶e̶ E̶4̶6̶ 3̶2̶5̶i̶ T̶o̶u̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ S̶5̶4̶ 6̶M̶T̶
                        T̶i̶t̶a̶n̶i̶u̶m̶ S̶i̶l̶v̶e̶r̶ E̶3̶9̶ 5̶4̶0̶i̶ M̶-̶S̶p̶o̶r̶t̶ ​T̶o̶u̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ S̶6̶2̶ 6̶M̶T̶

Comment

Thanks, glad to hear someone else is into mountain biking! My friends got into gravel riding recently so I’ve finally built one of those up just to be able to keep riding with my buddies. It’s pretty good too, not the same though.
                          Thankfully my buddies out here all are chunky dirt fiends Though, I used to road ride and can see the appeal of not being out on the open roads with people who text and drive, but still get the same kind of burn you can only get with road-bike geo and flatter terrain (i.e., not singletrack or downhill).

For the squeaks, I’m basically using five things(in order of quantity); 3/4” tesa tape, 2” tesa tape, cut to size adhesive backed felt sheets, cut to size adhesive backed 3/8” closed cell foam, and 1” x ~1/8” butyl rolls. Between those five, you can get just about everything.
                          Brilliant. Wish I would have known about this when my car was in a 1,000 pieces earlier this year. When I redo the interior, I'll tackle this. Appreciate the details, just dumped this into my OneNote.

Version 2, which has been going strong for several weeks now, dead simple, and I’m confident it’s good (.063” stainless)
                          Wow, that is MUCH simpler than I envisioned, lol.

Nice eye. The small holes are for the yet to be designed Mount for the fwd/aft seat motor switch. I haven’t really decided if that’ll be sheet metal or 3D printed yet.
                          Those brackets are pretty slick. Love the ingenuity.

Can't wait to follow along with these updates.
                          Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

not loooking forward to bleeding that master. I think I’ll back bleed it by removing the calipers, compressing them with the pedal (filling the pistons), swap MCs, then back bleed by compressing the caliper pistons again. I’m hoping that will get most of the job done, but MCs can be a real bitch.
                            Yeah, I'm pretty sure mine still isn't fully bled after doing the MK60 swap. Have done multiple power bleeds and pedal still feels kinda weird in the first part of its travel.

Might try what you described next

Comment

Got a chance to install the driver's side bracket today, and learned everything I needed to learn. Next version will be 4mm higher, 8mm to the center of the car (same as Brey Krause), and I've figured out a better way to do the fwd/aft electric motion, so I'll delete those little mounting holes.

As measured, I'm currently sitting 18.5 (~3/4") lower than the Grey Krause mounts, which was exactly my target. I'm pretty stoked. V2 will be coming in soon

Also, I caught the car in really good light and snapped a photo of the interior front/rear seat color match. Photos always show up looking so much nicer on my phone..
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3366.jpg Views:	0 Size:	140.8 KB ID:	196600
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3365.jpg Views:	0 Size:	205.3 KB ID:	196596 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3370.jpg Views:	0 Size:	160.9 KB ID:	196597 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3381.jpg Views:	0 Size:	130.5 KB ID:	196601 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3362.jpg Views:	0 Size:	177.0 KB ID:	196598 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3359.jpg Views:	0 Size:	249.9 KB ID:	196599
                              edit: v2, this should do it

Name:	Screenshot 2022-12-17 at 9.04.41 PM.png
Views:	1739
Size:	550.2 KB
ID:	196612
                              Last edited by Bry5on; 12-17-2022, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X