Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black & Tan 332iT

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Bry5on
    replied
    Alright I’m happy with V3. Just 1mm shorter than V2 and feels right. Time to figure out SLA printing​
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8388.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	351637 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8389.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	351638 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8390.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	351636

    Leave a comment:


  • Bry5on
    replied
    V2 is looking much better
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8383.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	351562 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8382.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	351563

    Leave a comment:


  • Bry5on
    replied
    Alright not super happy with v1, it's a little long and it repeats a problem that XTRONS themselves designed in where the button underlaps the fascia at the bottom:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8378.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	351481

    v2 in the printer now, the button itself is 3.5mm shorter and 1mm larger OD at the tip transition. Also easier to print as a bonus:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2026-04-12 at 9.51.38 PM.png
Views:	322
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	351479 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2026-04-12 at 9.57.02 PM.png
Views:	301
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	351482 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2026-04-12 at 9.50.54 PM.png
Views:	304
Size:	777.0 KB
ID:	351480

    Leave a comment:


  • karter16
    replied
    Excited to see how the knobs turn out - that will be a very nice upgrade!!

    Leave a comment:


  • Bry5on
    replied
    Since the weather has been nice and gas has been getting expensive, I've mostly been driving the electric jag. But today, the e46 finally got a little bit of love.

    Borrowing from karter16's method, I decided to re-do the screen protector on my XTRONS head unit so that it's continuous and the seam hidden under the bezel. I managed to do it without braking any of the electrical connectors which were potted into place.

    Here's how it started:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8367.jpg Views:	3 Size:	119.5 KB ID:	351463

    And the closest thing I got to a finished photo:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8368.jpg Views:	3 Size:	73.9 KB ID:	351464

    After that, I decided that I hate these chrome knobs enough to finally eliminate them. The plan is to 3D print (first one will be done in 45 mins) some knobs similar to the CD53 and factory nav head units. If I like this geometry, then I'll break this into two parts: A plastic inner structure and an SLA elastomer/resin or an SLS TPU grippy surface. This is probably the easiest way for me to mimic the stock knobs with a fun little project that also means trying out a new print process.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2026-04-12 at 7.04.26 PM.png Views:	3 Size:	102.3 KB ID:	351462 Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2026-04-12 at 8.08.43 PM.png Views:	3 Size:	436.3 KB ID:	351465
    Last edited by Bry5on; 04-12-2026, 07:26 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Bry5on
    replied
    Originally posted by Obioban View Post
    Agreed the late model cars got higher— but didn’t the specific springs vary by car spec?
    Allegedly, although I’ve only been able to find two different colors in my Internet sleuthing - convertible v coupe.

    Leave a comment:


  • Obioban
    replied
    Agreed the late model cars got higher— but didn’t the specific springs vary by car spec?

    Leave a comment:


  • Bry5on
    replied
    No big updates, still slow rolling the super knuckle..

    In the meantime, the car has been absolutely fantastic, suspension and is super quick and tight. A few years back I removed aftermarket springs to put on Heinz’s original M3 springs from his early model car (thanks man!) but they were pretty rusty in the rear and I’d always heard that late models sat higher. Since I like me some ground clearance, I installed 6mm front spacers to raise the height with the stock early M3 springs.

    So today I replaced those springs with a set of late model ones from a ZCP car. Early springs have 1/4 yellow stripes F/R and late model springs have 1 blue front and 4 green rear. Caliper measurements had them within .5mm diameter of each other (honestly within margin of error and powdercoat thickness) and the same coil count. So on first blush it looks like the springs are the same rate. The front springs free length are about 20mm taller on the late model, and I forgot to measure the rears.

    Because they measured taller, I took a chance by removing my 6mm spring spacers. After removing the spacers and installing the late model springs, I’m measuring 2mm higher in front and 9mm higher in rear. From this I can conclude that at least in this instance, the late model springs are 8mm taller in front and 9mm taller in rear. Glad to have swapped them out!​
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7994.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	344192 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7995.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	344191 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7997.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	344195 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7998.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	344194 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8002.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	344193 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8003.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	344189 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8005.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	344190

    Leave a comment:


  • Obioban
    replied
    Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post
    I'm not going to say what it looks like but...I know you know that I'm thinking lolololol

    Strange resemblance to superfastMatt’s dry sump system?

    Leave a comment:


  • bigjae46
    replied
    Originally posted by Bry5on View Post
    If you want to order/recreate this on your own car, click this link and get a set for yourself! https://cart.sendcutsend.com/chn7orju3zid
    Somehow I got confused and ordered 2 left side plates. Now that I look at it again, the cart opens up with 2 plates for each side. It is only a couple dollars more for a 2nd pair so why not?

    Just wanted to warn my fellow morons...lol

    Leave a comment:


  • bigjae46
    replied
    Originally posted by Bry5on View Post
    While driving my wife's car on a roadtrip this weekend, it dawned on me that I hadn't checked to see whether my spare tire in the trunk actually fits over the M3 brakes. So once we got home, I pulled it out of the trunk and took a couple measurements of the 16" donut spare that verified, no, it will not clear the M3 brakes. I've been carrying 26lb of dead weight for no reason. Gone now.

    This got me thinking about weight some more, and particularly how it relates to roll couples (much of your roll stiffness is dictated by roll center height and CG height) so I decided to add a quick calculation of roll degree change to my weight calculator since I've already modeled the roll center height (of the front at least) here. I assumed 4" for the rear and entered 3" into the calculator as it would average at the CG. While I was at it I ordered an 18.5lb 60Ah antigravity battery.

    Playing around with the numbers yields some interesting things! Removing the sunroof on an e46 touring means your car will roll almost exactly 3% less in a corner, these numbers should be almost exactly the same as a regular e46 coupe/sedan with the non-m sedan having the most benefit from the change (taller roof, lighter car). My roof rack setup makes the car roll almost 5% more alone! Anyway, it's attached if anyone is interested in doing their own math. Mine points to a pretty easy 150lb weight removal opportunity which results in 49.8/50.2 F/R weight distribution (again, with a full tank. 51/49 empty), assuming I can make a hitch mount for the bikes that doesn't add a bunch of weight.

    Click image for larger version Name:	Screenshot 2023-02-26 at 7.49.13 PM.png Views:	0 Size:	606.4 KB ID:	207523
    Holy shit...I feel like I've been missing out on life not following this build thread. This is the exact answer to the question I am pondering! I run 200lbs of ballast for NASA. I will likely need to run another 25 lbs and I can run 25 more lbs if I run lower fuel loads. The advantage is the ballast can help optimize static weight distribution.

    I want to start from zero when I get the FCM suspension installed, optimize the ride heights and then figure out the best place to locate the ballast. This spreadsheet will make life WAY easier!

    Leave a comment:


  • bigjae46
    replied
    Originally posted by Bry5on View Post
    Well I've been busy for the past few weeks as my wife and I had our first child! Apologies if you've PMed me and I haven't gotten back to you yet - I will! I'm typing this one handed with a baby in the other arm..
    Belated congrats! Hopefully your wife is getting some sleep!

    Finally had a chance to go through this whole build thread. Fantastic!

    Leave a comment:


  • bigjae46
    replied
    I'm not going to say what it looks like but...I know you know that I'm thinking lolololol

    Originally posted by Bry5on View Post
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4258.jpg
Views:	670
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	288042

    Leave a comment:


  • Bry5on
    replied
    Originally posted by Obioban View Post
    I feel like the screen resolution is part of the charm. Have a similar wireless CarPlay situation in my 100 series, and love it 😜
    You’re a crazy man, hah

    Leave a comment:


  • Obioban
    replied
    I feel like the screen resolution is part of the charm. Have a similar wireless CarPlay situation in my 100 series, and love it 😜

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X