2003 UK M3 CSL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2003 UK M3 CSL

This is a car that I have owned since 18 March 2013. I was fortunate to have purchased it long before the current crazy price hikes, where the intention was to use it as BMW intended. So although the car is pampered and wants for nothing, it does get used on trackdays in the UK as well as at the Nurburgring (my favourite circuit). Because of how I predominantly use the car, it has gradually been tweaked and developed into a beatifully balanced machine that suits my driving style. As you all know, the E46 M3 is one of the greatest ever platforms to start with and the CSL takes that and turns it up to 11.

Many crticisims are levelled at the SMG gearbox (especially from you lot ​ ), but other than being a bit boring and un-involving (if driven below 7/10ths) on the road and somewhat clunky if used in auto (but anyone that drives it in this mode and complains needs their head testing - that is not what the CSL is about), it absolutely suits the car and comes into it's own on track, when the car is pushed hard and revved out. With consistantly fast gear-changes, the SMG was fitted to ensure that the repeated 80ms gear-changes allowed the car to go sub 8 minutes around the 'ring, compared to the standard M3, where it achieved a 7.50 vs 8.22. Many people seem to think that is not that fast compared to some of the recent times achieved, but it should be noted that due to the constant improvements to the track over the last 20 years, it is acknowledged by people who have driven the circuit in all it's iterations that the current surface improvements are worth a reduction of 7-10s compared to when the CSL achieved it's time.....

The fact that the SMG doesn't feel like it handicaps the car may in part be down to the amount of weight removed (which is significantly more than 110kg BMW quote, as that figure is comparing it to the lightest iteration of the M3 (a zero option car with a slick-top). When you compare it to a sun-roof equipped / fully optioned standard M3 (whiere some are getting closer to 1600kg (3527lbs) than they are to 1500kg (3307lbs)), the weight difference is even higher.

There is a common misnoma about the weight of the CSL though, as only the zero optioned cars are 1385kg (which is measured with only 10 litres of fuel). To show you how much of a Unicorn one of those is, of the 422 UK cars (plus the 8 that went to Ireland making 430), only 9 came specced with absolutely zero options, so very few cars are at the 1385kg (3053lbs) figure everyone seems to quote for the car. A fully optioned CSL is actually 1425kg (3142lbs with the same 10 litres of fuel), where the biggest difference is in the aircon, which the majority of cars have, even if they are missing the audio side of things, so non-zero-option cars vary in weight depending on what they come equipped with from 1390-1425kg (3064 to 3142lbs)

In addition, there is a further issue for the RHD cars (which is the same with the standard M3) and that is that sadly these are not as good as the LHD cars when it comes to weight distribution. This is because the perfect set-up is optimised for LHD cars (where the fuel tank is on the right of the car to off-set the driver weight, but on the RHD cars is also located in the same position, so the side to side distribution is not as good for us (you wiill see this in the corner-weights below).

I have concentrated on chassis improvements as the CSL is really a momentum car (and is why it does so well even against more powerful and lighter rivals - the 996.2 GT3 was only capable of a 7.54 and the Ferrari 360 CS a 7.56), so other than the exhaust, the engine is completely stock. Both the standard M3 and the CSL use flat ride spring rates, and I have kept the front to rear ratio as close to stock as possible (just higher). My set-up is very different to most, as I use dual springs similar to how Porsche does with their GT cars. This uses a relatively soft helper spring and a stiff main spring, so all four dampers have two springs each (not to be confused with the usual spring location "helper" style ones though.

Engine
    Capacity: 3246cc
    Bore / Stroke: 87mm/91mm
    Compression ratio: 11.5:1
    Max. power: 355bhp @ 7900rpm
    Torque @ max. power:
    Max. torque: 273lb.ft @ 4900rpm
    Power @ max. torque:
    Specific output: 109.4bhp per litre.
    Power / weight ratio: 256.32bhp/tonne.
    Cylinders: Six, in-line.
    Cylinder head: Cast alloy DOHC
    Cams: 268° / 264° 11.6mm / 11.6mm lift
    Block: Cast iron, tri-metallic head gasket
    Valve gear: Four valves per cylinder (35mm inlet / 30.5mm exhaust)
    operated by chain driven twin overhead camshafts and VANOS
    variable valve timing on inlet and exhaust, solid lifters and rocker arms.
    Sump capacity: 5.5 litres 10w 60 Fuchs Pro S 10w 60
    Fuel and ignition: MSS54HP ECU MAP based, individual coil on
    plug. 246cc fuel injectors.

Exhaust
    Supersprint HJS catted section 1

Supersprint resonated twin tube section 2 (swapped from the original single tube non-resonated version)

Supersprint Light Weight Race back box

Suspension
    Front: Independent Black Art Design gas filled 4-way adjustable, remote reservoir dampers using 360lb to 800lb Eibach progressive tender spring with an Eibach 1200lb main spring.
    Ride rate 355lb with a transitional rate (closed tender spring) of 480lb. Front 2.01 Hz valved 110% critical at the ride rate - 300/130lbf@140mm/sec

Machperson struts set to 3.2° negative camber using Turner Morotsport Hybrid top mounts

Turner Motorsport monoball lollipop control arm bushes
    Toe: Zero
    Anti-roll bar: Standard CSL hollow 30.8mm item

Rear: Independent by semi-trailing arms, Black Art Design gas filled 4-way adjustable, remote reservoir dampers using a 360lb to 800lb Eibach progressive tender with a n Eibach 600lb main spring. Ride rate 262lb with a transitional rate (closed tender spring) of 345lb/inch, Gives 8 cmp difference rear being stiff - Rear 2.13Hz valved to 110% critical at the ride rate - Rear 240/90lbf@140mm/sec

Turner Motorsport monoball upper inner trailing arm bushes

Turner Motorsport rear adjustable street/track adjustable camber arms set to 2.5° negative camber and 4mm overall toe-in
    CMP solid subframe raising mounts
    CMP monoball rear trailing arm bush
    Anti-roll bar: Standard CSL 22mm item
    BMW structural foam in subframe cavity (after BMW full floor replacement)

Steering:
    Type: Power assisted rack & pinion - 14.5:1 ratio
    (3.0 turns lock to lock)

Brakes:
    Front: AP Racing CP7177-110/1G8 72 vane race cast 356mm x 32mm discs with aluminium bells
    AP Racing CP5570 6-pot callipers and stainless-steel braided hoses with Pagid RSL29 pads.

Rear: OEM 328mm x 28mm drilled and ventilated discs
    AP Racing CP5144 4-pot callipers and stainless-steel braided hoses with Pagid RSL29 pads.

PS Desgins TI stud and nut kit
    Castrol SRF brake fluid

Transmission
    Type: Front-engine, rear wheel drive
    Gearbox: SMG 2 hydraulically actuated Getrag 420G, 6-speed.
    Rear diff: E36 M3 3.2 ZF 210 Evolution internals built into E46 M3
    casing, upgraded to 4-plates. 90/90 ramp anges 40% lock-up, no pre-load.

Internal Ratios: 1st 4.23:1; 2nd 2.53:1;
    3rd 1.67:1; 4th 1.23:1; 5th 1:1; 6th 0.83:1;
    Reverse 3.75:1; Final drive 3.62:1
    giving 25.01 mph/1000rpm in top gear with 265/30 x 19 tyres.
    Maximimum speed in gears - 8000rpm:
    1st 39.26mph
    2nd 65.64mph
    3rd 99.44mph
    4th 135.02mph
    5th 166.07mph
    6th 200.09mph
    (Speeds calculated using RPM Fabrication's software using tyre
    radius and gearing).

Wheels & tyres
    Wheels: BBS forged alloy,
    Front: 8.5" x 19" ET 44 with 15mm spacers (10.5kg)
    Rear: 9.5" x 19" ET 27 with 12mm spacers (11.35kg)
    Tyres:
    Front: 235/35ZR19, currently Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 Connect
    Rear: 265/30ZR19, currently Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 Connect (x 4 for track use)

Body / Chassis
    Type: Pressed-steel monocoque fixed head coupe
    Chassis construction: In steel, as part of monocoque
    Dimensions:
    Length: 4492mm Width 1780mm Height: 1365mm
    Wheelbase: 2729mm Front track: 1518mm
    Rear track: 1525mm
    Drag coefficient: 0.33
    Normal weight: 1425Kg (3142lbs) - fully optioned car)), 10 litres of fuel
    Actual weight: 1398kg (3082lbs), 10 litres of fuel

This is before corner weighting (10 litres of fuel)

This is after corner weighting (fuel brimmed to the max and with 80kg driver. You can see what I mean about the weight distribution now. However, I usually have a passenger, which then balances the car almost perfectly) - equivalent to 3338lb

Interior & ICE:
    Carbon fibre rear centre console

BMW Motorsport gear-knob

Rainbow speakers
    AVIN Avant 4 android double DIN stereo

Pressure dropped prior to just going out on track:

Performance
    Max speed (speed limited): 161mph (259km/h) - indicated 167mph
    Fuel consumption: Typically 7 (track) to 32 (driving Miss Daisy) mpg
    0-50mph: 3.8s
    0-60mph: 4.8s
    0-62mph: 4.9s
    0-100mph: 10.9s
    Standing kilometre: 23.1s @ 139.81mph
    1/4 ET: 12.9s
    1/4 Terminal: 110mph

Some pictures from the Nurburgring and on track:
    Painting 11s at Snetterton, my local circuit:

Chasing down GT3s:

Annoyingly, this picture (taken by Frozenspeed again) has my friend driving and me as a passenger, but was taken at just the right moment and I didn't even see the image until after the trackday. It has been slightly altered (as the original was "Mike P.") so that it says my initial instead. But pretty cool nether-the-less and now also adorns my garage wall:

I look forward to the inevitable SMG bashing ​.

As with all cars owned for a long time, they are never finished and I still have plans for further weight reduction - swapping the CSL Mini batter over for a Deadweight Industries item will see a further 10kg (22lbs) reduction and I like the look of the triangulated strutbrace from Schlon, which is supposed to not only increase chassis rigidity by 18%, but also to remove 5.6kg ((12.3lbs) but I suspect that is for a standard M3, where the CSL already has a lightweight cabin filter)). Inevitibly I will have forgot something, but at least this will allow me now to log and progress things as they are added (or I remember something I have forgotten). I'm also liking the idea of the Sclon carbon fibre strengthening panel, so if anyone who has fitted one of those could tell me their thoughts, I'd appreciate it .

In the meantime, I'd like to thank Ian (aka @Obioban) for allowing me to pick his brains over the years and obviously if you ahve any CSL related questions (other than why don't you convert it to manual ), I'd be happy to oblige.

Thanks for looking .

​Oh, and if you have Instagram, you will find most of the above on @mike_rainbird - if you have an E46 M3, you'll definitely get a follow back (unless it's a 'vert, for obvious reasons ).
    Last edited by Mike RT4; 01-19-2023, 08:44 AM.

Nice writeup Mike, love seeing a CSL on here! I do miss my SMG sometimes.... but not often 🤣

Comment

Originally posted by robgill View Post
      Nice writeup Mike, love seeing a CSL on here! I do miss my SMG sometimes.... but not often 🤣
      It's yours and heinzboehmer's fault for my build thread LOL - I spent all yesterday afternoon going through both your build threads and thought I needed to do one of my own, so I can keep track of what has been done over the years .

Comment

Car looks awesome! It's great seeing a CSL with mods on it and that actually gets driven.
        2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Not feeling that car...meh

Kidding! Love seeing a classic museum piece hooning on the 'Ring! Never thought about the RHD vs LHD comparison, interesting.

Does it have AC?

How common are the E36 M3s over there? It is getting harder and harder to find those ZF LSD carriers.

Comment

Awesome. The corner weights with driver and fuel stats are cool to see. Adjusted for equal fuel and drivers, this car is still ~75lbs lighter than mine -- and mine's a manual with lightweight brakes, shocks/struts, lithium battery, carbon roof and intake, seats etc etc (although with boat anchor muffler).

Comment

What a pile... of amazing parts on an amazing car that is actually driven for enjoyment . Take note people. I've seen OP post about this car, but what a way to start off the journal.

Comment

Great read and addition to the forums, thank you for sharing. Absolutely awesome and nice attention to details.

Comment

Welcome!

And, awesome car, as always!

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                  2012 LMB/Black 128i
                  2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

The one thing that I cannot replicate is the interior sound of a CSL. After being in a stock one and a modified one, it's the only thing that I'd love to recreate on a plain jane M3.
                    2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
                    2005 BMW ///M3
                    Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
                    2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
                    2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
                    2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

Thanks for your write-up - and especially for the reality check for the weight-chasers. Glad to see the car is actually being used on track.

Comment

Absolutely love this build journal! Car is the real deal we all aspire to be when we grow up. Can't wait to follow along with other updates.
                        Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post
                          Not feeling that car...meh

Kidding! Love seeing a classic museum piece hooning on the 'Ring! Never thought about the RHD vs LHD comparison, interesting.

Does it have AC?

How common are the E36 M3s over there? It is getting harder and harder to find those ZF LSD carriers.
                          Yep, mine is a fully optioned CSL (which isn't a great deal on these cars anyway), but has the following:
                          S302 - Alarm
                          S502 - Headlight washer system
                          S508 - Park Distance Control
                          S521 - Rain sensor
                          S522 - Xenon lights
                          S534 - Automatic air conditioning
                          S650 - CD Drive
                          S661 - Business Radio (C43)

The only other thing that could have been specified with the car is S358 Climate comfort windscreen (no weight difference between this and the S354 Green tinted upper strip that mine has) and S231, the famous removal of the speed limiter (that required you to present a race license in the UK to have it removed and was a £1,000.00 option - just for someone to go into INPA and switch this from an on to an off LOL!).

I'm not sure how many E36 Evos are left, but a lot of the time they are rust buckets in this country (due to winter salt) and so they give up their diffs when they go to the great scrapyard in the sky..... . Luckily I got mine off eBay a few years ago for £550 - I just checked and there is one on there at the moment for £750.
                          Last edited by Mike RT4; 01-20-2023, 12:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by repoman89 View Post
                            Awesome. The corner weights with driver and fuel stats are cool to see. Adjusted for equal fuel and drivers, this car is still ~75lbs lighter than mine -- and mine's a manual with lightweight brakes, shocks/struts, lithium battery, carbon roof and intake, seats etc etc (although with boat anchor muffler).
                            Switching over to the Supersprint LWR muffler saves 10kg (22lb) and that is against the CSL muffler (which is lighter than the standard M3 item), so the weight saving should be even better for you.

It is amazing the lengths BMW went to to get weight out of the car - the attention to detail is obsessive, yet it still has a full interior and all the creature comforts.

Some short sound checks:
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WVx...6jqDsx&index=8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fayJ...6jqDsx&index=7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcJS...jqDsx&index=12

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MT8r...jqDsx&index=16
                            Last edited by Mike RT4; 01-20-2023, 02:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Estoril View Post
                              Thanks for your write-up - and especially for the reality check for the weight-chasers.
                              Looks like his is fully loaded, and his weight is with 240lbs of extra fuel/driver that most of us don't include.
                              DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                              /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                              More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Working...
                              X