Obioban's 2005 IR/IR Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duracellttu View Post

Do you end up changing you spring rates? What did you decide in with the new FCM dampers?
    Springs are now...

FCM is doing the works on my dampers.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

Springs are now...

FCM is doing the works on my dampers.
      I’m interested to hear your review with that particular setup. When I ran 336/350 F and 675/700 R on FCM elite dampers, I was getting a bad oscillation front to rear over bumps. It was so bad that I had to lower the rear spring rates and ended up reverting back to 500# TCKs I had. I think I could go a bit higher in the rear but haven’t experimented any further.
      2005 BMW M3 ZCP Black/Black - HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | 288/280 Schrick Cams+DLC Followers | Lang Head | Dinan TBs | Bosch 550cc | Radium Fuel System | Karbonious CSL Airbox+OE Snorkel | SS V1 Stepped+Catted Sec 1+Resonated Twin Pipe+Race | 3.91, 3 stage clutch | FCM 400/600 | Vorshlag Camber Plates, RSM | Rogue ASP | AKG FCABs, SFBs | TMS Front Sway, Camber Arms, Monoball RTABs, Pullies | Mason Race Strut + X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | SPAL | Redish Plates | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Rod Bearings

Comment

Cool project, I'll be interested to hear your thoughts when it's done. Do you just put a scissor lift on your four post to take the wheels off? I'm doing planning for my four post and was planning on bridge jacks.
        RIP M3F
        2002 M3 - 2002 325iT - 1994 Bronco

Comment

Originally posted by blazenXLT View Post
          Cool project, I'll be interested to hear your thoughts when it's done. Do you just put a scissor lift on your four post to take the wheels off? I'm doing planning for my four post and was planning on bridge jacks.
          Yeah, that is what I do. It's super convenient, especially for anything that needs to be preloaded. Don't want to go back to a 2 post now that I've played with this setup.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
          2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Continuing to make progress, one baby nap at a time (as that's when I'm sneaking car work in).

Apart:

Click image for larger version  Name:	dsafd.jpg Views:	0 Size:	292.7 KB ID:	88050

Together:

Click image for larger version  Name:	sdfasd.jpg Views:	0 Size:	292.6 KB ID:	88051

^new parts are CMP subframe mounts, new monoballs outside, new front diff mount, monoball adjustable lower control arms, and a wavetrac (stock ratios, because I hate shortened gearing)/new seals/diff bearings/paint.

Snip snip:

Click image for larger version  Name:	asdfasd.jpg Views:	0 Size:	203.7 KB ID:	88052

Sadly at this point all 3 of my dremels had let out the magic smoke, so I'm on hold till a new rotary tool arrives. This time a made in Germany Proxxon tool. Can't last a shorter life than the dremel brand dremels...

And some neat rainbow effects I noticed on the SS twin tube section 2:

Click image for larger version  Name:	asdf.jpg Views:	0 Size:	247.8 KB ID:	88053

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
            2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Unrelated: the Vincebar is WAY lighter than I expected. This doesn't make me sad :P

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
              2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

That is some great progress. Looking good. Could you kindly list all the parts you are using for the diff rebuild? Might do mine as well in summer when the car is down for the heat LOL

Comment

Originally posted by 0-60motorsports View Post
                  That is some great progress. Looking good. Could you kindly list all the parts you are using for the diff rebuild? Might do mine as well in summer when the car is down for the heat LOL
                  1) one Diffsonline rebuilt e46 M3 diff with wavetrac installed

2)... front diff mount?

I read a ton a diff rebuild guides and ended up deciding there was enough room to go wrong that it was worth paying someone to do.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                  2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

1) one Diffsonline rebuilt e46 M3 diff with wavetrac installed

2)... front diff mount?

I read a ton a diff rebuild guides and ended up deciding there was enough room to go wrong that it was worth paying someone to do.
                    Ah ok, I am going to do it in Bahrain as shipping will be a killer

Comment

Unrelated: the Vincebar is WAY lighter than I expected. This doesn't make me sad :P
                      Curious if you weighed the Vincebar.
                      2002 M3 Carbon Schwarz/Black 6MT

Comment

Originally posted by slavik1988 View Post

Curious if you weighed the Vincebar.
                        No, but I still have another one in waiting (for the wagon).

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                        2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Scary part of the Vincebar install complete. All glue, rivets, and paint from here.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0889.jpg Views:	0 Size:	240.7 KB ID:	89147

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                          2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Scary part of the Vincebar install complete. All glue, rivets, and paint from here.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0889.jpg Views:	0 Size:	240.7 KB ID:	89147
                            Looks awesome, puts a little motivation in my tank to install mine.

Comment

Ian, Which Proxxon tool did you get - do you like it compared to the dremels? I've 2 dremels both with issues/old in the tooth, and would like to get a cordless but also want a little more torque than dremels produce.
                              .. separate topic, did you look at or consider the racingdiffs beveled washers to take slop out of the OE LSD unit? I know it wouldn't be as good, just curious what you think of it? I have a 2nd diff I bought locally, dirt cheap from a guy shedding E46 parts, trying to decide what I want to have done to it.

ADS

Comment

Originally posted by RedM3/4 View Post
                                Ian, Which Proxxon tool did you get - do you like it compared to the dremels? I've 2 dremels both with issues/old in the tooth, and would like to get a cordless but also want a little more torque than dremels produce.
                                .. separate topic, did you look at or consider the racingdiffs beveled washers to take slop out of the OE LSD unit? I know it wouldn't be as good, just curious what you think of it? I have a 2nd diff I bought locally, dirt cheap from a guy shedding E46 parts, trying to decide what I want to have done to it.

ADS
                                So far so good with the Proxxon on. I had 3 dremels fail during this project. The Proxxon has already put in more time then all of them combined, and no magic smoke.

It does seem to have an overheat sensor, and shut down if it triggers. Which is a good idea!

I got this one: http://www.proxtools.com/store/pc/vi...&idcategory=26

I think I don't have enough understanding of how diffs work (why BMW put that slop in there to begin with) to decide if something like that bevel washer is a good idea, so I went without. The safe route :P

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                                2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Working...
                                X