No announcement yet.

Obioban's 2005 IR/IR Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Obiodan, those ohlins are the regular R&T? Well the AW does 'look' like it's rolling over more than your car.

Comment

Originally posted by enjoy_m3 View Post
      Hey Obiodan, those ohlins are the regular R&T? Well the AW does 'look' like it's rolling over more than your car.
      They're flat ride converted, stock valving. Stock R&T is 400/628. Those are
      375 350
      700 628

... though with a GC race front sway set to full stiff, which is doing way more for roll stiffness than the springs are :P
      (sway bar is 69% of roll stiffness for that setup)

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
      2012 LMB/Black 128i
      2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Hey Ian, what shifter do you run?
        2005 M3 - SGM, 6MT, Impuls Cloth, Slicktop
        2022 M3 - BRG, Tartufo, xDrive​

Comment

Originally posted by Malloy View Post
          Hey Ian, what shifter do you run?
          I currently have a 20% auto solutions kit. Next time I have the trans out, I will swap it for a 0% auto solutions kit.

Stock knob (and will be staying that way).

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
          2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

I currently have a 20% auto solutions kit. Next time I have the trans out, I will swap it for a 0% auto solutions kit.

Stock knob (and will be staying that way).
            Good deal. thanks. I need to get rid of my UUC (too notchy) and the 0% Auto Solutions sounds like a good option...

Comment

Originally posted by Malloy View Post

Good deal. thanks. I need to get rid of my UUC (too notchy) and the 0% Auto Solutions sounds like a good option...
              Yes. My brother has the 0% in his car, and it is perfection.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
              2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Would that be the Ultra kit or the Autocross kit?

Jesse
                Old, not obsolete.

Comment

Yes. My brother has the 0% in his car, and it is perfection.
                  Thanks again. I talked to Ronald the other day and I'm sold. He pushed me twd a 20% reduction so I need to decide. Either way, I can't wait to get his parts :-)

Comment

Larger screen Avin installed:

Click image for larger version  Name:	009F41E8-662C-4C55-857D-9F4957A56733.jpeg Views:	281 Size:	127.8 KB ID:	96240
                    What avin model is this? I cant find it on their site

Edit, found it

https://avinusa.com/8-8-multimedia-n...x69088e46.html

man that is sexy looks a lot better than Avin Avant 4 that has a lot of buttons i dont really need
                    Last edited by Tonggi; 09-28-2021, 06:10 AM.

Comment

Street review of wavetrac: indistinguishable from stock.
                      Saw you say on another thread that the wavetrac diff is quieter than stock since there's no m clunk. Have you noticed any differences in shift feel with the new diff?

I ask cause I was driving around with the back seats down the other day and I could hear the diff clunking away pretty clearly. The clunks correlated with that extra notchy feeling that sometimes happens when switching gears (almost as if the whole drivetrain is loaded up and needs to unbind before the gear can be selected).

I'm starting to think that most of the gripes I have with how my transmission feels are due to my diff. Actually, I remember there was a noticeable improvement in shift feel when I swapped out the diff fluid right after buying my car.
                      2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

Saw you say on another thread that the wavetrac diff is quieter than stock since there's no m clunk. Have you noticed any differences in shift feel with the new diff?

I ask cause I was driving around with the back seats down the other day and I could hear the diff clunking away pretty clearly. The clunks correlated with that extra notchy feeling that sometimes happens when switching gears (almost as if the whole drivetrain is loaded up and needs to unbind before the gear can be selected).

I'm starting to think that most of the gripes I have with how my transmission feels are due to my diff. Actually, I remember there was a noticeable improvement in shift feel when I swapped out the diff fluid right after buying my car.
                        When I swapped in my rebuilt 3.91 diff from diffs online last winter I can say almost all my clunk vanished. Shifts are much smoother now (however I'm in SMG), will be interesting to see how long that lasts. I had 100k on my original diff. I know this is Obi's thread but thought interesting enough to share.
                        3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Hmm.

I suppose I know what you mean-- you can feel the M clunk in the shifter. I do not, anymore.

I don't think I've ever noticed it correlating with extra notchy shifts, so I can't say I feel like that is reduced.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                          2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Originally posted by oceansize View Post
                            When I swapped in my rebuilt 3.91 diff from diffs online last winter I can say almost all my clunk vanished. Shifts are much smoother now (however I'm in SMG), will be interesting to see how long that lasts. I had 100k on my original diff. I know this is Obi's thread but thought interesting enough to share.
                            Interesting. 125k on mine, so I think it could use a refresh. Now I want to drive a higher mileage car with a refreshed diff to see what that feels like.

Hmm.

I suppose I know what you mean-- you can feel the M clunk in the shifter. I do not, anymore.

I don't think I've ever noticed it correlating with extra notchy shifts, so I can't say I feel like that is reduced.
                            That's good to hear.

And maybe "extra notchy" is not the best way to describe it. What I'm talking about is the feeling that happens when you try to switch gears fast and don't let the drivetrain "settle". The shifter becomes harder to push into the gate and when it finally does go in, you can feel the drivetrain clunking through the shifter. Doesn't happen on every fast gear change, but it happens often enough to be annoying.

I think you both have convinced me to start planning a diff refresh. Need to spend some time deciding what I want on the car first though.
                            Last edited by heinzboehmer; 09-30-2021, 07:20 AM.
                            2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

Comment

Interesting. 125k on mine, so I think it could use a refresh. Now I want to drive a higher mileage car with a refreshed diff to see what that feels like.

That's good to hear.

And maybe "extra notchy" is not the best way to describe it. What I'm talking about is the feeling that happens when you try to switch gears fast and don't let the drivetrain "settle". The shifter becomes harder to push into the gate and when it finally does go in, you can feel the drivetrain clunking through the shifter. Doesn't happen on every fast gear change, but it happens often enough to be annoying.

I think you both have convinced me to start planning a diff refresh. Need to spend some time deciding what I want on the car first though.
                              Is your CSB replaced? I'd do that first, if not.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                              2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Is your CSB replaced? I'd do that first, if not.
                                Yup, all bushings on the car have been replaced under my ownership.

Might be worth going over everything before diving into a diff replacement though.

Comment

Working...
                                X