Obioban's 2005 IR/IR Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
    Scary part of the Vincebar install complete. All glue, rivets, and paint from here.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0889.jpg Views:	0 Size:	240.7 KB ID:	89147
    Great job đź‘Ť did mine Vincebar 6 years ago with this glue, rivet method as well, holding up very well up this day no issues after all track day abuse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Well, the scary part is done. Just seam sealer, paint, and reassembly to go. Well, and the Slonik plate.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0928.jpeg
Views:	568
Size:	237.5 KB
ID:	91215

Name:	IMG_0929.jpeg
Views:	573
Size:	243.1 KB
ID:	91216

^the missing rivet in the first picture was added right after I took the photo.

I've really discovered how much chassis coat they used everywhere in my car after replacing the rear floor, at ~100,000 miles. The stuff's everywhere
      Attached Files

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
      2012 LMB/Black 128i
      2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Looks good! did you drop the subframe to replace the front bolts? I remember the oe ones have that hex head that sits between the chassis and bushings.

Comment

Originally posted by BlAikenstein View Post
          Looks good! did you drop the subframe to replace the front bolts? I remember the oe ones have that hex head that sits between the chassis and bushings.
          Yep! See post 222 on.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
          2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Which monoball ARCAs did you go with?
            '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Wow dude. I can’t even imagine doing this type of work myself. Looks great 👍👍

Comment

Originally posted by r4dr View Post
                Which monoball ARCAs did you go with?
                This is not a recommendation, as I'll probably have a bad experience (based on previous experiences with the company, but Bimmerworld.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

This is not a recommendation, as I'll probably have a bad experience (based on previous experiences with the company, but Bimmerworld.
                  I've had the GC monoball ARCAs for around 1500 miles with no issues. I did ask what they used and they said strictly delphi/lemforder for 5/7 series (I know you cracked open a different part of theirs back in the day and it wasn't). What is the indicator there is a problem? Noise/squeaking, or just how long they last?

3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by oceansize View Post

I've had the GC monoball ARCAs for around 1500 miles with no issues. I did ask what they used and they said strictly delphi/lemforder for 5/7 series (I know you cracked open a different part of theirs back in the day and it wasn't). What is the indicator there is a problem? Noise/squeaking, or just how long they last?
                    I popped the bimmerworld RTABs open because they started making noise after ~5000 miles. My hope is that they learned their lessons and are doing what they claim these days :P

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                    2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

So far so good with the Proxxon on. I had 3 dremels fail during this project. The Proxxon has already put in more time then all of them combined, and no magic smoke.

It does seem to have an overheat sensor, and shut down if it triggers. Which is a good idea!

I got this one: http://www.proxtools.com/store/pc/vi...&idcategory=26

I think I don't have enough understanding of how diffs work (why BMW put that slop in there to begin with) to decide if something like that bevel washer is a good idea, so I went without. The safe route :P
                      I am curious as to why you used an electric dremel type tool rather than a pneumatic die grinder. More precise? Less mess?

Thanks.

Jesse
                      Old, not obsolete.

Comment

Originally posted by D-O View Post

I am curious as to why you used an electric dremel type tool rather than a pneumatic die grinder. More precise? Less mess?

Thanks.

Jesse
                        I really didn’t want to cut too much.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                        2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

I popped the bimmerworld RTABs open because they started making noise after ~5000 miles. My hope is that they learned their lessons and are doing what they claim these days :P
                          Ahhhh, I had forgotten it was bimmerworld and not GC.
                          3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

How would you rate the DIY toughness of the rivet style Vinebar? I’ve been considering it, although it make make sense just to weld it in if I am doing plates at the same time so I don’t need to drop the subframe twice.
                            2005 ///M3 6MT Coupe Imola/M-Texture

Build Thread

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Inizes View Post
                              How would you rate the DIY toughness of the rivet style Vinebar? I’ve been considering it, although it make make sense just to weld it in if I am doing plates at the same time so I don’t need to drop the subframe twice.
                              It's not actually hard to do... just stressful (and a bit time consuming). If you can handle vanos lockdowns, you can handle this.

It might seem more time consuming to me than it actually is, as I've been doing it one baby nap at a time, for the duration of said baby nap.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                              2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Subframe, drive shaft, and muffler back in. All downhill from here. Not even any heavy lifting left to go :P

Name:	63802702606__E7DE8F79-1539-4EC4-B477-F15DD8D2CCAA.jpeg
Views:	463
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	93913

Hopefully the Slonik plate gets here soon, or it's going to become a next winter project...

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                                2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Working...
                                X