Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My 2005 Imola Red M3 6MT Build Journal

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Originally posted by TosM3 View Post
    Where did you find the part to replace the decorative window trim that sits underneath the rear window?
    I know you bought the 3m for the upper part but i want to make sure i buy the other part also
    Picked those up from FCP Euro (lifetime replacement). Can also get it from Turner, ECS tuning, etc. Just buy OEM for those, so you could even get them from a dealership.
    2005 ///M3 6MT Coupe Imola/M-Texture



    Build Thread

    Instagram

    Comment


      #17
      Originally posted by Inizes View Post

      Thanks! I might be reaching out soon to get my steering wheel trim refinished (if you're still going it)
      Yup, just ping me when you ready.

      BMW / E46M Interior & Trim Restoration.
      https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/c...ch-restoration

      Comment


        #18
        I remember this thread from before, very satisfying read!
        Past: '99 Hellrot/Dove M3/2/5 | '97 S14 1JZ | '06 Triumph Daytona 675 | '01 330I M-Tech I | Current: '96 Estoril/Black M3/2/5

        Instagram

        Comment


          #19
          Originally posted by Inizes View Post

          Picked those up from FCP Euro (lifetime replacement). Can also get it from Turner, ECS tuning, etc. Just buy OEM for those, so you could even get them from a dealership.
          thanks i will go to FCP Euro i will look for the part number

          Comment


            #20
            Originally posted by TosM3 View Post

            thanks i will go to FCP Euro i will look for the part number
            https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...im-replacement

            I wrote up everything with part numbers here. Hope this helps.
            2005 ///M3 6MT Coupe Imola/M-Texture



            Build Thread

            Instagram

            Comment


              #21
              Originally posted by Inizes View Post

              https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...im-replacement

              I wrote up everything with part numbers here. Hope this helps.
              thanks!
              I found it

              Comment


                #22
                wow great diy information here.

                Comment


                  #23
                  Originally posted by MrClutch55 View Post
                  wow great diy information here.
                  Hey thanks.I appreciate it. I think bimmerfan08 said it best (I think it was him) that the hard part about these cars (engineering) is already done! Everything now to maintain them is just taking them apart and putting them back together. The community is great and has a ton of DIY information and is super supportive of it. Currently working on a few projects and will be updating the journal once they’re done.
                  2005 ///M3 6MT Coupe Imola/M-Texture



                  Build Thread

                  Instagram

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Onto the next rounds of projects. With COVID sending the world into a lock down, it seemed like a good time to spend some more major time on maintenance. First up was replacing my lower bumper trim. It was going gray and a new one really wasn’t that expensive. After taking the old one out and hitting it with some 303 Aerospace they almost looked the same lol, oh well.





                    The next thing I have done was a little more major. I am still mid-way through it, but it is going rather smoothly so far. I have never taken off the valve cover for this car nor seen any pictures of it. The previous owner said VANO had not been addressed but when the last valve adjustment happened the mechanics reported it was fine. I ordered almost everything from Beisan as well as new cam bolts from Lang Racing. Time for me to open it up and see for myself what I am working with.



                    Initial impressions are really good. Everything was very clean (no sludge), definitely taken care of correctly. I took a deeper look at my exhaust hub tabs, and thankfully they were both together as well. I shot the old owner some pictures and a thank you for not breaking them. He seemed to enjoy them.



                    I removed the clutch fan and shroud. Somehow I ended up dropping both out of the bottom of the car rather than pulling them out the top. I guess whatever works! Then off came the solenoid, sealing plate, and the VANOS unit itself.




                    I moved from my garage up to my apartment to replace all of the seals, put in the new oil pump disk, cleaned up the solenoid plate (on my patio), and began reassembly. The O-ring that sits inside of the cylinder was probably the most frustrated I was during the process. It took me nearly 45 minutes to get it so sit in there. The oil pump disk was a bit annoying as well trying to get all of the springs compressed and seated in the bearing all at one time.





                    The whole process once I was up in my apartment took me nearly 3.5 hours. Not terrible for a first timer. Definitely room to improve with the oil pump disk and the cylinder o-ring.
                    Next on my plate is the upper chain guide, Lang Racing cam bolts, the anti-rattle kit, and a valve adjustment. After the motor is back together and before I put the fan back on, I will replace the driveshaft flex joint and rebuild the shift linkage with new bushings.
                    Last edited by Inizes; 04-07-2020, 04:52 AM.
                    2005 ///M3 6MT Coupe Imola/M-Texture



                    Build Thread

                    Instagram

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Awesome! are you putting in the s62 diaphragm springs as well?

                      Current:

                      1997 BMW M3 - Boston Green/Modena
                      2003 BMW M3 · Coupe · 6MT - Alpine White/M-Texture Alcantara

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Originally posted by Inizes View Post
                        Onto the interior!

                        First up was addressing the cracking air bag stickers. For some reason these really bugged me on my first drive. Removed both and used a precision screw driver, oxyclean stain remover, and a warm damp towel to remove the stickers and glue.






                        Next, I moved onto a small tear on the driver’s seat. It wasn’t terribly long, but the seat was separating from the bolster. I grabbed some extra tough black thread and a set of curved needles from the local hobby store and set to work.







                        It isn’t perfect, but I feel like it was a decent attempt. It is hard to notice unless you’re looking for it.
                        Onto the center console. The old one had seen some abuse. The arm rest was starting to crack. The shift knob wasn’t illuminating correctly and looked bubbled.


                        This was a great sight to see lol. I wonder what happened to the original connectors.


                        I carefully unwrapped the wires and put some heat shrink on the open ends. The new shift knob won’t be wired to illuminate.




                        Off the center console came! I was a somewhat surprised how much crap makes its way under the console.


                        Looks brand new! I picked up a new set of cup holders as well. I opted for this over the euro tray because my girlfriend likes some sort of livability if we take a long weekend road trip to the Tail of the Dragon or something.




                        The rear view mirror had suffered the common failure with the AutoDim. I had a friend who was parting out a car give me a mirror from a 2012 BMW X5 with AutoDim, Homelink, and Compass. I couldn’t find any information on if this swap had been done before. To my surprise, it was completely plug and play!



                        Programming the mirror was pretty easy. I found a thread about it on e46fanatics. I will try to find the link for it again here soon.
                        The rear parcel shelf had seen better days. Like other parts on the car, the California sun had its way with it so out it came for a refresh.



                        Taking it apart wasn’t easy. Had I know the M3F was going down, I would have taken more photos. If anyone needs help, feel free to message me. I will do my best to walk you through based on what I remember. I used Tulip ColorShot Upholstery Spray as my dye of choice. Once 8 oz. can was enough for 5 coats.



                        Nothing like a shower paint booth. I should have used more bags to cover for overspray. Cleaning wasn’t that bad though.





                        Before and after:




                        Back installed and looking factory fresh!

                        Nice clean build well done👍, Looking to do the same to my rear shelf, how is the finish on Tulip color shot ? I heard some of dyes leave crusty finish, looking for best solution to do this with, thanks in advance for feedback.

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Originally posted by BMWahba View Post
                          Awesome! are you putting in the s62 diaphragm springs as well?
                          Yup! Forgot to mention that I guess. Just decided to go full lockdown and hopefully never have to deal with it again.
                          2005 ///M3 6MT Coupe Imola/M-Texture



                          Build Thread

                          Instagram

                          Comment


                            #28
                            Originally posted by Radekxpl View Post

                            Nice clean build well done👍, Looking to do the same to my rear shelf, how is the finish on Tulip color shot ? I heard some of dyes leave crusty finish, looking for best solution to do this with, thanks in advance for feedback.
                            It was a little crusty to the touch, being honest. I can't say I am ever really back there and that I ever actually touch the rear parcel shelf though. Appearance wise it looks fine.
                            Last edited by Inizes; 04-07-2020, 08:39 AM.
                            2005 ///M3 6MT Coupe Imola/M-Texture



                            Build Thread

                            Instagram

                            Comment


                              #29
                              Originally posted by Inizes View Post

                              It was a little crusty to the touch, being honest. I can't say I am ever really that I ever really touch the rear parcel shelf though. Appearance wise it looks fine.
                              Thanks, yes its not something you ever put your hands on, First time I touched rear shelf was just now after 7 years of owning the car, if it looks good than that will satisfy me, thanks again

                              Comment


                                #30
                                you got a great tutor right in front of you. i watched so many of his diys.


                                Originally posted by Inizes View Post
                                Onto the next rounds of projects. With COVID sending the world into a lock down, it seemed like a good time to spend some more major time on maintenance. First up was replacing my lower bumper trim. It was going gray and a new one really wasn’t that expensive. After taking the old one out and hitting it with some 303 Aerospace they almost looked the same lol, oh well.





                                The next thing I have done was a little more major. I am still mid-way through it, but it is going rather smoothly so far. I have never taken off the valve cover for this car nor seen any pictures of it. The previous owner said VANO had not been addressed but when the last valve adjustment happened the mechanics reported it was fine. I ordered almost everything from Beisan as well as new cam bolts from Lang Racing. Time for me to open it up and see for myself what I am working with.



                                Initial impressions are really good. Everything was very clean (no sludge), definitely taken care of correctly. I took a deeper look at my exhaust hub tabs, and thankfully they were both together as well. I shot the old owner some pictures and a thank you for not breaking them. He seemed to enjoy them.



                                I removed the clutch fan and shroud. Somehow I ended up dropping both out of the bottom of the car rather than pulling them out the top. I guess whatever works! Then off came the solenoid, sealing plate, and the VANOS unit itself.




                                I moved from my garage up to my apartment to replace all of the seals, put in the new oil pump disk, cleaned up the solenoid plate (on my patio), and began reassembly. The O-ring that sits inside of the cylinder was probably the most frustrated I was during the process. It took me nearly 45 minutes to get it so sit in there. The oil pump disk was a bit annoying as well trying to get all of the springs compressed and seated in the bearing all at one time.





                                The whole process once I was up in my apartment took me nearly 3.5 hours. Not terrible for a first timer. Definitely room to improve with the oil pump disk and the cylinder o-ring.
                                Next on my plate is the upper chain guide, Lang Racing cam bolts, the anti-rattle kit, and a valve adjustment. After the motor is back together and before I put the fan back on, I will replace the driveshaft flex joint and rebuild the shift linkage with new bushings.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X