No announcement yet.

2020 BMW M3 + M4 G80/G82 Official Video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some actual pictures - looks a lot better in real pictures not the press release stuff. I'm going to have to see it in person to make my final opinion. We all hated the Bangle years back when it first came out, but none of you can say the e60m5 is a bad looking car now.
    E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
    Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by liam821 View Post
      https://www.reddit.com/gallery/iyr1oc
      We all hated the Bangle years back when it first came out, but none of you can say the e60m5 is a bad looking car now.
      Yes I can

Almost all BMWs since E46 have been hideous.

Yes, the E60 is "better" than some of the newer stuff, but it's a far cry from E39 body. I guess it's impossible to beat e39/e46 looks, so everything is going to look off in comparison.
      Last edited by Tbonem3; 09-24-2020, 08:26 AM.
      DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
      /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
      More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post

Yes I can

Almost all BMWs since E46 have been hideous.

Yes, the E60 is "better" than some of the newer stuff, but it's a far cry from E39 body. I guess it's impossible to beat e39/e46 looks, so everything is going to look off in comparison.
        hahah! Tyler.... I just have a special place in my heart for the V10. I also think the f80m3 is an amazing looking car - would own.

Comment

I agree with Tyler. Same dislike for the E9x back then. Folks compared it to the Pontiac G8. Folks love the V8, but if I have to look at it everyday, I'll go crazy.

F80M just looks so good from every angle!

Comment

I stated earlier in the thread that I like the interior and really do but I don't hate the exterior as viscerally you all. A month or so ago I had test drove a GT350, M2 Comp, F80 M3, and a Toyota Supra as I want a new daily (for my whopping 13 mile round trip commute). I was leaning towards the Supra but in the end I held off because I'm going to test drive this thing when it arrives.
            3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by liam821 View Post
              https://www.reddit.com/gallery/iyr1oc

Some actual pictures - looks a lot better in real pictures not the press release stuff. I'm going to have to see it in person to make my final opinion. We all hated the Bangle years back when it first came out, but none of you can say the e60m5 is a bad looking car now.
              I do not like it even more on those photos 😥

Comment

Originally posted by Epsilon View Post
                I agree with Tyler. Same dislike for the E9x back then. Folks compared it to the Pontiac G8. Folks love the V8, but if I have to look at it everyday, I'll go crazy.

F80M just looks so good from every angle!
                I have an e93m3 and the looks are okay, I like the e46m3 much better. However, that V8 in the M3 is fantastic. We don't drive it much, being convertible and living in Oregon, but it's great on a nice day.

Comment

I've been saying this for years now, but if I ever get the time and motivation, I want to pick apart the E46 m3 design cues and show you guys what real design is. Not opinion, but facts like symmetry, contrast, repetition/theme, balance, continuity.

Every bmw since the E46 lost these design principals. Without a huge write up, but to illustrate my point, look at our tail lights (both the edge that wraps around the side and the edge of the inner tail light piece). Then look at our mirrors, then look at our front corner lights, then look at the back of the door handles. They all have the same D shape. The back of the window aka "hoffmeister kink", the brake ducts, even the end of the fucking door mouldings have this same shape!!!! These patterns repeat and are pleasant to the eye. There's cohesion, a theme. Contrast that with the E9x or f80 or the g20, where you've got these opposing design cues; swoopy lines, then a hard straight line across the hood, for example.

It's poor design and I bet they rationalize it by saying something like, "we're being different" or "bold" or whatever. That would be like, in music, just making random noises with no pattern or repetition/beat. it would sound horribl... oh wait, maybe that's what dubstep is lol

The e39/e46 had the most of these design cues, a real balance between straight and curved lines (and both used in harmony). A balance between sleek and muscular. Nothing OTT, nothing garish. This era of BMW design was the best, not my opinion, but actual fact using principles of design.

A few of the design changes were not BMW's fault, but forced by governmental regulations. best example is the height of the doors vs. windows. Modern cars have tiny windows and these ridiculous doors. See my e82 for an example. It's for crash standards, so I can't really count that I suppose.
                  Last edited by Tbonem3; 09-24-2020, 12:40 PM.

Comment

^I agree with a lot of what you're saying. I didn't like the bangle era cars at first but they quickly grew on me and now I find a clean e60 m5 to be one of the best looking cars on the road. Maybe it's just all relative and the other cars on the road have just gotten much uglier. Also, the new design is so bad in so many ways that most people don't even notice that the m4 looks almost identical to a lexus rc from the rear.

Comment

I've been saying this for years now, but if I ever get the time and motivation, I want to pick apart the E46 m3 design cues and show you guys what real design is. Not opinion, but facts like symmetry, contrast, repetition/theme, balance, continuity.

Every bmw since the E46 lost these design principals. Without a huge write up, but to illustrate my point, look at our tail lights (both the edge that wraps around the side and the edge of the inner tail light piece). Then look at our mirrors, then look at our front corner lights, then look at the back of the door handles. They all have the same D shape. The back of the window aka "hoffmeister kink", the brake ducts, even the end of the fucking door mouldings have this same shape!!!! These patterns repeat and are pleasant to the eye. There's cohesion, a theme. Contrast that with the E9x or f80 or the g20, where you've got these opposing design cues; swoopy lines, then a hard straight line across the hood, for example.

It's poor design and I bet they rationalize it by saying something like, "we're being different" or "bold" or whatever. That would be like, in music, just making random noises with no pattern or repetition/beat. it would sound horribl... oh wait, maybe that's what dubstep is lol

The e39/e46 had the most of these design cues, a real balance between straight and curved lines (and both used in harmony). A balance between sleek and muscular. Nothing OTT, nothing garish. This era of BMW design was the best, not my opinion, but actual fact using principles of design.

A few of the design changes were not BMW's fault, but forced by governmental regulations. best example is the height of the doors vs. windows. Modern cars have tiny windows and these ridiculous doors. See my e82 for an example. It's for crash standards, so I can't really count that I suppose.
                      Precisely.
                      BMW / E46M Interior & Trim Restoration.
                      https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/c...ch-restoration

Comment

It's poor design and I bet they rationalize it by saying something like, "we're being different" or "bold" or whatever. That would be like, in music, just making random noises with no pattern or repetition/beat.
                        This is most modern cultures progression summed up. Ironically the people doing this call themselves "progressive" as everything seems to devolve.

The F series was a lot better on the eyes than the prior generation by a long shot. E60s are terrible looking. E90s look weird. Man was the 6 and 7 series bad looking. The 1 series has always been ugly. The 2 series looks like the designers quit 75% through the design.

This turned into a roast on BMW 😂
                        Last edited by Arith2; 09-25-2020, 04:31 AM.
                        This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                        https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Originally posted by Arith2 View Post

This is most modern cultures progression summed up. I'm not surprised most BMW are ugly.

The F series was a lot better on the eyes than the prior generation by a long shot. E60s are terrible looking. E90s look weird. Man was the 6 and 7 series bad looking. The 1 series has always been ugly. The 2 series looks like the designers quit 75% through the design.
                          Meh, weird opinion. Have you bought any of them new? Somehow, I don't think you were their target market, and E65, E60, E63 and E90 were best selling BMW models at the time (and some are still the leaders) and I bet BMW does not regret the decision one bit. In fact, these models are more interesting used cars on the market right now. Everything else looks generic and identical to each other.

Most of these models aged well, and majority of the 35-45 year-olds will tell you that they are not bad looking cars. And this is what BMW target market with those cars, not boy racers wannabes with no money, but well-off folks able to shell $85K+ on a toy.
                          Last edited by TexaZ3; 09-25-2020, 04:37 AM.

Comment

A 7/10 girl is gonna look pretty tasty next to a bunch of 5s. That doesn't mean she's pretty, she's just better than average.

Comment

A 7/10 girl is gonna look pretty tasty next to a bunch of 5s. That doesn't mean she's pretty, she's just better than average.
                              True. But when your girl is ugly, you say she has killer legs and awesome boobs.

Comment

Boys! Stop objectifying women, stay on the topic! 😉

Comment

Working...
                                X