MSSMAPPER explaination?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSSMAPPER explaination?

I'm currently tuned on my stock DME (MSS54HP) for e85 with my turbo setup. I also have a 93 octane turbo tune. I dont like the idea of having to carry my laptop around to flash between the 2 different tunes and was hoping to start using MSSMAPPER but it feels so confusing on the website. I dont mind the price but from reading the directions it I am left confused still on how to go about the whole process.

is there anyone that can give an overview of how the mssmapper process goes?

Originally posted by nextelbuddy View Post
    is there anyone that can give an overview of how the mssmapper process goes?

http://www.msstuning.com/mssmapper.php
    I'm currently trying to troubleshoot with Paul (i think that's his real name?) who wrote the MSS Mapper/Flasher software, why the Tune 0 is not reachable.

But to the question, i myself am complete n00b when comes to MSS Mapper and tuning MSS54HP ECU.

From reading the Opration instructions link, there are two parts to the UI.

First is the maps themselves, the BIN files for switching the maps, eg. KF_TI_N_RF and KF_TI_N_RF_VL maps. For this i had the tuner provide me with the 5 of 64 KB tune BIN files (3 are for pump 93 octane, and tunes 3 and 4 for E50 and E85 blends), along with the fullbinary that will get patched with some codes and add these switchable tunes into unused eeprom space.

I don't understand what all happens in the background, under the hood in MSSMapper, nor do i understand how these 64 KB tune BIN files are created.. Of course i also don't know much about tuning these maps. I guess that's why i pay the tuner.

If i were to guess these 64 KB tune files are applicable to outside of MSSMapper, and is what all other MSS54HP (which is the ECU variant i have in my E46 M3) tuner would know how to create and add their tune to the maps.

At the bottom section of the program interface what i think those boxes are for, is allowing for remapping of limited number of tune constants, eg. what the instruction gives for remapping one example constant, the global injector constant.

Just to feel for the interface, i just left these constant remapping's at 0's.

My problem right now is, i got the tune BIN files, and i add the fullbinary. But the Export Fullbinary button remain grayed out.

I've been working off and on with Paul, and has been bit of challenge to get replies from Paul.

Maybe we can learn from each other.

Unfortunately my tuner has pretty much given up on this product so i'm kind of stuck in rock and a hard place, so to speak...

I was going to create a new thread in this forum but saw your post so decided to just piggy back on it.

My other option was to ask in E39 M5 board, at m5board.com space.

Click image for larger version  Name:	SNAG-20552.jpg Views:	0 Size:	71.5 KB ID:	125694
    Last edited by gixxer; 09-09-2021, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gixxer View Post

My problem right now is, i got the tune BIN files, and i add the fullbinary. But the Export Fullbinary button remain grayed out.
      PSA: please restart the app after register... Paul helped out. Thanks.

Comment

My main question is this... Is this something really as simple as you have a full binary and then several different variations of tune files based off the full binary... And all you have to do is just load up all of your different variation of tune files and the full binary into MSS mapper And that's it once it flashes it's as simple as just using the cruise control buttons to cycle through your tune files?

Comment

Originally posted by nextelbuddy View Post
          My main question is this... Is this something really as simple as you have a full binary and then several different variations of tune files based off the full binary... And all you have to do is just load up all of your different variation of tune files and the full binary into MSS mapper And that's it once it flashes it's as simple as just using the cruise control buttons to cycle through your tune files?
          Is this something really as simple as you have a full binary and then several different variations of tune files based off the full binary.. ----- basically

And all you have to do is just load up all of your different variation of tune files and the full binary into MSS mapper And that's it once it flashes it's as simple as just using the cruise control buttons to cycle through your tune files? ---- correct, unless you are remapping any K_* constants

Here's some stuffs thrown in mainly to help me with big picture,

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	608
Size:	241.0 KB
ID:	127221

Comment

Also useful information,

Afternoon guys! I am having a bit of an issue with my car after using the virginize function. I was testing a few different tunes and my count was getting low so I decided to use the function to reset my count. During the reset everything seemed normal besides a “ecu timeout” line followed by task completed. After that

Comment

I used something similar when I was boosted for a 93 map and an e85 map. I used mssmapper and it worked great. The only recommendation I can make to you is make sure the default is the gas type you use most regularly because if you don’t switch the tune at startup....well yea. The program works great for it though. I used it primarily as a backup if I ran out of e85 and needed a quick fill up.

if you need help send me a dm

Edit: I also used it for different fan setting between default and the z4 settings but I never had a chance to test if that worked. Also if your tunes are differentiated by the global fuel factor for e85 vs 93 that won’t work and you have to use fuel tables for both for it to work
              Last edited by rjskalet; 09-18-2021, 04:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rjskalet View Post
                I used something similar when I was boosted for a 93 map and an e85 map. I used mssmapper and it worked great. The only recommendation I can make to you is make sure the default is the gas type you use most regularly because if you don’t switch the tune at startup....well yea. The program works great for it though. I used it primarily as a backup if I ran out of e85 and needed a quick fill up.

if you need help send me a dm

Edit: I also used it for different fan setting between default and the z4 settings but I never had a chance to test if that worked. Also if your tunes are differentiated by the global fuel factor for e85 vs 93 that won’t work and you have to use fuel tables for both for it to work
                I feel like it would be better to set your default tune to be the worst fuel you use than the most common. Better to risk not making full power than blowing up your engine, if you forget to switch maps.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                2012 LMB/Black 128i
                2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

I like MSSMAPPER albeit I think if you were to use it for an FI set-up a few more maps should also be added to the switch-over.

But, using it to go from pump to E85 is great! Not sure if Paul ever released the global factor switch, but that helps streamline the process by not having to address every map in every tuned version that gets switched.

In the vid I’m switching between my pump and E85 global factors (440cc injectors) & the other maps pretty much staying the same. Pay attention to RPM needle and AFR gauge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SliM3 View Post
                    I like MSSMAPPER albeit I think if you were to use it for an FI set-up a few more maps should also be added to the switch-over.

But, using it to go from pump to E85 is great! Not sure if Paul ever released the global factor switch, but that helps streamline the process by not having to address every map in every tuned version that gets switched.

In the vid I’m switching between my pump and E85 global factors (440cc injectors) & the other maps pretty much staying the same. Pay attention to RPM needle and AFR gauge.

Last time I used it, he hadn’t released it so I had to go through the tables and adjust manually haha. It worked but was time consuming.

agreed with the FI, at one point I was supercharged and when I used it, the 93 map wasn’t “tuned” for the supercharger so I limited the rev limit of that tune as a fail safe but also it allowed me to get gas to go home.

Comment

How are you switching global factors, i.e. constants/scalars without switching maps?

Thanks,

Comment

The maps still switch-over. I’ll find the email with the instruction Paul sent me regarding the scalars and you guys can try it out & see if works for ya!

Comment

The maps still switch-over. I’ll find the email with the instruction Paul sent me regarding the scalars and you guys can try it out & see if works for ya!

thank you sir!

Comment

In case anyone is checking...

Paul just updated,

, to reflect the correct slave locations for the relocation tables for remapped scalars in the example given for remapping K_TI_GA constant:

Edit your base/main tune file and add following at 0x1200 address (slave remapping mapping table): 0x00,0x08,0x80,0x70,0x00,0xff,0xe0,0x30

Comment

Do you have that instruction you can share? Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X