Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I use Kess v2 to flash or BDM HP conversion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I use Kess v2 to flash or BDM HP conversion?

I have one of these brand new in the box someone gave me years ago. Not sure what I can do with it.

I'm wanting to know if there's any way to use or to flash am29f400 chips for an up coming MSS54 to HP conversion.

In my box I don't see any provisions for reading/writing eeprom like a chip reader etc... Just a bunch of cables that have various wire terminations

I assume you would wire it directly to the DME for BDM style flashing?

I can only find information about flashing BDM with the fgtech galletto 4 which I read here

https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/s...ech-galletto-4

I'm.a bit confused when it comes to understanding BDM.

I see terms like BDM, boot mode, flashing eeprom with a chip reader etc...

I'm trying to figure out my.options for flashing the am29f400 chips when I do my hp conversion

I don't have an eeprom chip reader nor can I find much information on which one to get that works with the am29f400 chips.

I would love the option of installing blank chips and putting DME on boot mode and flashing that way but I saw some directions from Terra where he said you either have to solder pins to pin 37 of master and slave or you have to hold the boot wires to those pins by hand and have some help you turn power on to get into boot mode.

I have pin headers on hand and have no problem soldering pin headers to the board of that helps at all

I have read through all of these links trying to get a better understanding of what I need to do but still feel like I can't connect the dots and feeling a bit scatter brained with it all.

Jump to post #9 for info on first converting an MSS54 into an MSS54HP (non CSL). This was originally posted by Terra on M3Forum. I just went through this process, so I thought I would bring over all the posts from that thread that were relevant to the process. I've also added some information afterwards about converting and

Many would have followed or tried to follow the thread on m3forums - and I have to honestly say the work done over there is awesome, the way many contributing members have been willing to lend their time and effort into what is effectively reverse engineering the MSS54 DME. The thread have mature...

Gather and organize every bit of available informations about a MSS54/HP to MSS54HP_CSL conversion - YulCmr/MSS54_HP_CSL_Clone_info_gathering

https://github.com/YulCmr/MSS54_HP_C..._modifications

https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/s...-on-the-eeprom

I use always a FG clone for this. FG only working with AMD chips, not with ST ones. Problem is, these 29fxxx you can buy came most times with random data in it and need to tested and blanked in a eeprom burner before soldering it. Otherwise you can’t access them over bdm per my expierince. If you have a old PC with lpt serial port you can buy cheap Willem programmers.

For BDM contacting you can use these cheap „bdm press on pins“ or solder a header to the board.

Ps. imo when you don’t feel confident with the „how to“ in the first link that you provided, which contains a DIY that is described so crazy easy and detailed, I HIGHLY recommend to stay away from this and let some other do this job. Some basic skills/experience before this should be already there..
    …under construction.

Comment

Originally posted by S54B32 View Post
      I use always a FG clone for this. FG only working with AMD chips, not with ST ones. Problem is, these 29fxxx you can buy came most times with random data in it and need to tested and blanked in a eeprom burner before soldering it. Otherwise you can’t access them over bdm per my expierince. If you have a old PC with lpt serial port you can buy cheap Willem programmers.

For BDM contacting you can use these cheap „bdm press on pins“ or solder a header to the board.

Ps. imo when you don’t feel confident with the „how to“ in the first link that you provided, which contains a DIY that is described so crazy easy and detailed, I HIGHLY recommend to stay away from this and let some other do this job. Some basic skills/experience before this should be already there..
      I do feel confident I know how to solder. I've done H bridges before. I also have another pocket programmer for a smaller chip on the light control module for clearing out and programming data there. So I do have some experience and that's why I like trying to do this stuff to just get more experience, I like tinkering.

It's just it feels like pulling teeth when trying to get information on chip programmers.

Like so many people share information which is amazing but it's scattered all over the place which is fine. It just makes you do the leg work but then when you try to figure out what people are using for their programmers nobody hardly ever shares the name of their programmer that they're using or where they got it from. They just say you need to do this or that but they don't say which programmer which adapter cable they're using etc

I've already desoldered the two am29f200 chips from my spare, mss54 DME in preparation for all of this.

I'm just trying to figure out the best way to get prepared to have as much as I can on hand at home so that I can program the chips either off of the board or on the board.

And I was also trying to see if there was any way I could make use of the kess v2 programmer I have or if it's just junk that I should just throw away.

Comment

For eeproms I say a programmer is necessary. Or atleast you send the am29f400 to someone with one, that can verify and blank them for you. For programmer: imo most cost effective solutions are GQ 4x4 (usb) and Willem programmer (lpt). They need sockets, but you will find when you type in the programmer and chip you want to do. Source is not import, all the same devices from same factory…

For bdm adapter search on Google for „fgtech bdm frame“.

Currently try to setup a affordable online live tuning for mss54(hp). But as a user (and a sort of debugger), not as an developer. That would be a bit behind my current programming skills!
        Maybe I will make a thread in the next days a bit deeper about this, I case anyone want also accomplish live online tuning on mss54.
        And that thread could also contain some more infos about the eeproms that are used in these types of ecu’s.
        …under construction.

Comment

Working...
        X