X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rbg View Post
    Yep I just need it to drive to a dyno.
    You should be fine with the modified CSL tune then
    2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

I have basically the same question and was going to start a new thread until I saw this.

I have an MSS54 DME and want to do the full CSL conversion too - i.e., convert DME to MSS54HP plus H-bridge (would like to run the flap), CSL firmware, airbox, MAP sensor), etc.
      1. What are the options for doing the MSS54HP conversion [by someone other than me]? I know about Kassel, but didn't know if there was anyone else in the US that was trustworthy.
      2. Can I have the DME converted and then run the base CSL code + MAP sensor without a tune or airbox? I know it's possible, but is it a good/bad idea?

Until I can source all the parts (the airbox in particular),I want to drive the car and hoping I can do this in stages. I fully recognize this could be a terrible idea, but I'm not sure if it is or isn't.
      Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post
        I have basically the same question and was going to start a new thread until I saw this.

I have an MSS54 DME and want to do the full CSL conversion too - i.e., convert DME to MSS54HP plus H-bridge (would like to run the flap), CSL firmware, airbox, MAP sensor), etc.
        1. What are the options for doing the MSS54HP conversion [by someone other than me]? I know about Kassel, but didn't know if there was anyone else in the US that was trustworthy.
        2. Can I have the DME converted and then run the base CSL code + MAP sensor without a tune or airbox? I know it's possible, but is it a good/bad idea?

Until I can source all the parts (the airbox in particular),I want to drive the car and hoping I can do this in stages. I fully recognize this could be a terrible idea, but I'm not sure if it is or isn't.
        1. You could do it yourself: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/s...p-csl-h-bridge

2. I'm not sure why you would do that. Why not run a stock hp tune instead until everything is on the car?
        2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

1. You could do it yourself: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/s...p-csl-h-bridge

2. I'm not sure why you would do that. Why not run a stock hp tune instead until everything is on the car?
          Thank you for the reply.

On #1, I am not afraid of turning a wrench, but didn't want my first time soldering on a circuit board to be on my DME. This could be a false perception on my end (fear of nuking the DME) as I otherwise have no issues tearing into a car...

On #2, because the CSL airboxes aren't readily available at the moment, I'm midway thru a full rear end restoration, just bought cat-less headers and I'm trying to minimize work. Ideally I'd just do all of this now (one time), but COVID has shut down supply of a lot of stuff.

I've had the entire rear end/suspension disassembled since Feb, doing a full restoration à la Redish Motorsports sytle. Whilst doing this huge job, my thought was to finish the cat-less headers / exhaust (trying to find Section 1 with cats, but also not readily available) / underside & suspension restoration, get the car on the ground again. Then get some sort of a base tune that would allow me to run the new exhaust for a bit until the CSL airboxes start shipping. Since I'm heading in the direction of a CSL airbox, I'm trying to get there in stages.

As I said, I realize this could be a terrible idea. I'm tearing thru research as much as I can but not learning as fast as I'd like.

Really appreciate the response heinzboehmer

Comment

I haven't tried running a CSL tune with a normal airbox, but I'm assuming it won't run well. You could instead convert your DME to full CSL spec and then flash the regular HP tune onto it. However, you would either need a BDM programmer to write the bootsector or flash a modified version of the hp tune that works with the CSL bootsector.

Comment

It runs fine with the stock airbox.

Comment

If your running euro headers/euro sec. 1 or equivalent just stick with the factory tune. Wait until you get the CSL box before you tune it. Also if you relocate your o2 sensors/EGT to the Euro sec. 1 you won't throw codes. But I would not bother relocating your sensors if you plan on doing the CSL box and CSL sw/tune as most tunes disregard the post cat o2's and EGT as well.
                I spent all this time, not to mention having to slice factory conduit to relocate the sensors only to have them not recognized by the computer 6 months later when I went CSL.
                Does anyone know if the Euro spec (non CSL) cars run tune that is significantly different from the US spec cars? And if the tune is different, where are the differences?
                2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
                Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
                Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
                RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
                Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post
                  If your running euro headers/euro sec. 1 or equivalent just stick with the factory tune. Wait until you get the CSL box before you tune it. Also if you relocate your o2 sensors/EGT to the Euro sec. 1 you won't throw codes. But I would not bother relocating your sensors if you plan on doing the CSL box and CSL sw/tune as most tunes disregard the post cat o2's and EGT as well.
                  I spent all this time, not to mention having to slice factory conduit to relocate the sensors only to have them not recognized by the computer 6 months later when I went CSL.
                  Does anyone know if the Euro spec (non CSL) cars run tune that is significantly different from the US spec cars? And if the tune is different, where are the differences?
                  Yeah, maybe I'll wait then. From yesterday to today, I just picked up (well, purchased - don't have yet) a set of Euro Section 1's. My car has a tune already but so maybe I'll just wait on the CSL stuff for now and do the conversion all at once. I can at least get the car on the ground now and in the meantime, maybe I'll learn a thing or two about coding and be more self-sufficient.

Cubieman no idea on your question in bold above.

Thank to all for the replies. I am loving NAM3Forums!!

Comment

Did someone take afr logs from his car??

Comment

Cubieman can you share the vanos offset values? I assume you have stock cams. Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by jk715 View Post
                        Cubieman can you share the vanos offset values? I assume you have stock cams. Thanks in advance.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	image_8455.png
Views:	1034
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	31263
                        2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
                        Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
                        Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
                        RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
                        Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post

Thank you for the reply.

On #1, I am not afraid of turning a wrench, but didn't want my first time soldering on a circuit board to be on my DME. This could be a false perception on my end (fear of nuking the DME) as I otherwise have no issues tearing into a car...

On #2, because the CSL airboxes aren't readily available at the moment, I'm midway thru a full rear end restoration, just bought cat-less headers and I'm trying to minimize work. Ideally I'd just do all of this now (one time), but COVID has shut down supply of a lot of stuff.

I've had the entire rear end/suspension disassembled since Feb, doing a full restoration à la Redish Motorsports sytle. Whilst doing this huge job, my thought was to finish the cat-less headers / exhaust (trying to find Section 1 with cats, but also not readily available) / underside & suspension restoration, get the car on the ground again. Then get some sort of a base tune that would allow me to run the new exhaust for a bit until the CSL airboxes start shipping. Since I'm heading in the direction of a CSL airbox, I'm trying to get there in stages.

As I said, I realize this could be a terrible idea. I'm tearing thru research as much as I can but not learning as fast as I'd like.

Really appreciate the response heinzboehmer
                          What catted section 1 are you looking for?

Comment

Originally posted by x Spades x View Post

What catted section 1 are you looking for?
                            Ended up getting Fabspeed.

Comment

UPDATE...
                              After 10 tune files from kassel the car still runs 9.8afr and the guy told us that the car have problem...long story short he doesn't know to tune for sure...what a waste of time and moneyis that guy........anyways we went with another tuner and the car runs 13.2 without to change any part on the car....

Comment

Originally posted by And1m3 View Post
                                UPDATE...
                                After 10 tune files from kassel the car still runs 9.8afr and the guy told us that the car have problem...long story short he doesn't know to tune for sure...what a waste of time and moneyis that guy........anyways we went with another tuner and the car runs 13.2 without to change any part on the car....
                                Yikes.

Comment

Working...
                                X