No announcement yet.

Need help doing vanos test with INPA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So when the splined shaft touched on the pump disk, the piston doesn't protrude out of the vanos? It must, although less than 2mm, as I don't think the designer wanted to use the pump disk instead of the cap to set the max retarded for the EX cam.
    It does protrude very slightly - maybe .5mm whereas the Intake is @ 2mm. There are also small cylindrical nubs in the center of the cap that protrude outwards that must provide the 'stop'. You can see witness marks on the pistons if you look closely.

Comment

Just a tiny sidenote: *.ipo files are generated from *.ips files. If you can get your hands on these...impossible. I haven't seen these being leaked.

Tomba, would you be able to make a custom Vanos test file like you did for the S54. but for the EU S50B32?

I always need to fire up DIS to perform the Vanos test, but if this could be done in INPA, that would just be great. I've done tons of work with INPA/DIS/NCS Expert, but never with Tools32.

I was already delighted I found a .ipo file for the EU SMG (my E36 M3 is SMG) that is not referenced in the INPA menu. So I changed the .txt file so this file can be executed and to my surprise it has many SMG test functions, but for each part individually, instead of having to run the complete calibration in DIS for the whole system. Only the bleed functions stop, so I guess this was a file that was worked on, but never got finished.
      I mainly use it to do a quick relearning of the clutch bitepoint, which alone, can not be done in DIS. And I don't need to recalibrate things like throttle pedal, shifter, etc each time.
      Last edited by MParallel; 12-01-2022, 04:29 AM.

'98 BMW M3 3.2 SMG Cabrio • Alpinweiß III auf Schwarz • Deutschland-ausführung
      IG:
      https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

Comment

Originally posted by MParallel View Post

Tomba, would you be able to make a custom Vanos test file like you did for the S54. but for the EU S50B32?
        Sure, in attachment.
        includes ECU version check, coolant & oil temperature measurement before starting the test.
        First E (einlass) intake is checked, than A (auslass) exhaust
        Target values (E=60-0) (A=40-0), response times <250-300ms
        ******* Note this test procedure is for MSS50 ********
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Tomba; 12-01-2022, 05:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomba View Post

Sure, in attachment.
          includes ECU version check, coolant & oil temperature measurement before starting the test.
          First E (einlass) intake is checked, than A (auslass) exhaust
          Target values (E=60-0) (A=40-0), response times <250-300ms
          ******* Note this test procedure is for MSS50 ********
          Wow that was quick. Thanks a ton.
          Just so I understand correctly, I can execute this in INPA, or do I need to run this in Tool32?
          From BMW info, the vanos spread is (a little) different S50B32 vs S54. Since I see these target values being mentioned for the S54, does this goes correctly?
          Although these aren't 'hardcoded' numbers mentioned in the testfile, so I guess this is just what is inside the MSS50 (grp/ecu) files?

EDIT: my bad, I now see on page one the instructions to run the .tst file. It's in Tools32. Well that's still easier then firing up DIS.
          Last edited by MParallel; 12-01-2022, 05:44 AM.

IG:

Comment

Originally posted by MParallel View Post

Wow that was quick. Thanks a ton.
            Your welcome

Just so I understand correctly, I can execute this in INPA, or do I need to run this in Tool32?
            Tool32 by opening test.

From BMW info, the vanos spread is (a little) different S50B32 vs S54. Since I see these target values being mentioned for the S54, does this goes correctly?
            See values above.
            Intake spread is 70-130 = 60° degrees. Exhaust spread is -114 - -76 = 38°
            Typical OK values intake would be advanced -1 to +1, retarded 59 to 61
            Exhaust i would expect advanced -1 to 1, retarded 38 to 41. Like the MSS54 I suspect the retarded value higher.
            Response times would be ok below <250-300ms.
            The leak check I am not really sure. I don't know how DIS calculates this yet.

Although these aren't 'hardcoded' numbers mentioned in the testfile, so I guess this is just what is inside the MSS50 (grp/ecu) files?
            The evaluation is more done inside DIS eventually when running these. I suspect there would be error code in the ECU if the desired position is not reached but most of the times these are quite long compared to the desired response time we want.

EDIT: my bad, I now see on page one the instructions to run the .tst file. It's in Tools32. Well that's still easier then firing up DIS.
            Please upload the results here so we can check them.

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

I'm pretty sure JOB_STATUS is referring to the routine having been completed successfully (i.e. the program on your computer ran through all the tests it had to perform) and not to the test having passed....
              Correct. This is where DIS shines. It's doesn't only tell you what is wrong, but also explains how to solve with all its Test Schedules. And regarding the DIS Vanos test, does tell if values are within what is OK or not.

For example, here in German it says at the end that all Should-be and Actual values correspond.

IG:

Comment

Please upload the results here so we can check them.
                Will do for sure, though I can't give a time indication as the M3 is now in winter lockup, which is not next to my house.

I'm curious myself as I retimed the Vanos last August as it was off (on the mechanical exhaust side (the splinded shaft hub/gearbox)), resulting in an uneven idle as the cam couldn't reach its idle position.
                Corrected this (have all the original BMW vanos related tools). Then ran the DIS vanos test, which prematurely failed, giving me zero results. Which is strange why the test itself would fail. It starts fine and then when it's about to display the results it just stops. Never had that before so that sucks as I want to know the result of the retiming.
                Last edited by MParallel; 12-01-2022, 06:20 AM.

IG:

Comment

I ran a Vanos test on my stock untouched Vanos system last March 2022 and then replaced all of my Vanos system this month.

- Beisan Vanos seals - beisan rattle kit
                  - beisan oil sealing plate kit
                  - beisan Vanos oil restrictor seals and Vanos filter
                  - re-drilled disc
                  - original pressure accumulator but new bolts, washers and lines
                  - lang racing hub bolts kit
                  - timing chain tensioner
                  - chain guides
                  - full valve adjustment

I just finished buttoning everything up a long with performing a valve adjustment as well which was severely needed

My tests show as OKAY so I'm guessing that means it all passed? Could you please take a look at this recent test and let me know how it looks?

I have put no miles on this, simply fully warmed up the engine and cleared adaptations.

I'll post the new results here and then the old ones from before Vanos job

New Vanos results 2-2-2023

Code:
                  Test file : C:\EDIABAS\ECU\MSS54_VANOS_TESTS.TST
                  Start     : 02.02.2023 13:36:00.2
                  Nr 1(  1) : 02.02.2023 13:36:00.3
                  apiJob("mss54ds0","STEUERN_EVANOS1_FRUEHANSCHLAG","","")
                    JOB_STATUS                      = OKAY        
                    EVAN_ISTWERT                    = 0                  00 00  ..      
                    EVAN_SOLLWERT                   = -10          FF FF FF F6  ��
                    EVAN_ISTWERT_EINH               = Grad KW    
                    EVAN_SOLLWERT_EINH              = Grad KW    
                  Nr 2(  1) : 02.02.2023 13:36:05.7
                  apiJob("mss54ds0","STEUERN_EVANOS1_SPAETANSCHLAG","","")
                    EVAN_ISTWERT                    = 60                 00 3C  .<      
                    EVAN_SOLLWERT                   = 75                 00 4B  .K      
                  Nr 3(  1) : 02.02.2023 13:36:11.0
                  apiJob("mss54ds0","STEUERN_EVANOS1_VERSTELLZEIT","","")
                    EVAN_VERSTELLZEIT_FRUEH         = 265                01 09  ..      
                    EVAN_VERSTELLZEIT_SPAET         = 240                00 F0  .𠠠  
                    EVAN_VERSTELLZEIT_FRUEH_EINH    = ms          
                    EVAN_VERSTELLZEIT_SPAET_EINH    = ms          
                  Nr 4(  1) : 02.02.2023 13:36:17.3
                  apiJob("mss54ds0","STEUERN_EVANOS1_DICHTHEIT","","")
                    EVAN_STATUS                     = EVANOS-1-Einheit vorzeitig weggedriftet
                  Nr 5(  1) : 02.02.2023 13:36:31.7
                  apiJob("mss54ds0","STEUERN_AVANOS1_FRUEHANSCHLAG","","")
                    AVAN_ISTWERT                    = 0                  00 00  ..      
                    AVAN_SOLLWERT                   = -10          FF FF FF F6  ��
                    AVAN_ISTWERT_EINH               = Grad KW    
                    AVAN_SOLLWERT_EINH              = Grad KW    
                  Nr 6(  1) : 02.02.2023 13:36:37.1
                  apiJob("mss54ds0","STEUERN_AVANOS1_SPAETANSCHLAG","","")
                    AVAN_ISTWERT                    = 48                 00 30  .0      
                    AVAN_SOLLWERT                   = 55                 00 37  .7      
                  Nr 7(  1) : 02.02.2023 13:36:42.4
                  apiJob("mss54ds0","STEUERN_AVANOS1_VERSTELLZEIT","","")
                    AVAN_VERSTELLZEIT_FRUEH         = 188                00 BC  .      
                    AVAN_VERSTELLZEIT_SPAET         = 220                00 DC  .ܠ    
                    AVAN_VERSTELLZEIT_FRUEH_EINH    = ms          
                    AVAN_VERSTELLZEIT_SPAET_EINH    = ms          
                  Nr 8(  1) : 02.02.2023 13:36:48.7
                  apiJob("mss54ds0","STEUERN_AVANOS1_DICHTHEIT","","")
                    AVAN_STATUS                     = AVANOS-1-Einheit vorzeitig weggedriftet
                  Stop      : 02.02.2023 13:37:03.5
                  Dauer     : 63.2 s
                  ​
                  Vanos test pre Vanos work 3/2022

Code:
                  Start     : 12.03.2022 15:53:48.9
                  Nr 1(  1) : 12.03.2022 15:53:49.0
                    EVAN_ISTWERT                    = 0                  00 00  ..    
                    EVAN_SOLLWERT                   = -10          FF FF FF F6  ����  
                  Nr 2(  1) : 12.03.2022 15:53:54.4
                    EVAN_ISTWERT                    = 60                 00 3C  .<    
                  Nr 3(  1) : 12.03.2022 15:53:59.7
                    EVAN_VERSTELLZEIT_FRUEH         = 195                00 C3  .�    
                    EVAN_VERSTELLZEIT_SPAET         = 205                00 CD  .�    
                  Nr 4(  1) : 12.03.2022 15:54:06.0
                  Nr 5(  1) : 12.03.2022 15:54:20.4
                    AVAN_SOLLWERT                   = -10          FF FF FF F6  ����  
                  Nr 6(  1) : 12.03.2022 15:54:25.7
                  Nr 7(  1) : 12.03.2022 15:54:31.1
                    AVAN_VERSTELLZEIT_FRUEH         = 152                00 98  .?    
                    AVAN_VERSTELLZEIT_SPAET         = 193                00 C1  .�    
                  Nr 8(  1) : 12.03.2022 15:54:37.4
                  Stop      : 12.03.2022 15:54:52.2
                  Dauer     : 63.2 s​

Comment

They look good. You missed testing leakage

Comment

Originally posted by maupineda View Post
                      They look good. You missed testing leakage
                      thanks for looking!

yea i dont know why in all my tests, pre vanos work and post. the leakage test just says drift was detected.

never had any codes before and have no codes now.

after reading though this thread and getting a better understanding of what each test means in english. I can now see that my new tests post vanos work are indeed in SPEC however the times in MS are slower for all tests on intake and exhaust compared to my pre vanos work test.

since i only ran the test once on a engine started for the first time after the work and only engine oil heated up to temp by just idling. I am going to run the test a few more times. once after more warm idles and then another after driving the engine hard and see if the numbers get better.

i believe Beisan says in their procedures that you need about 200 miles to break in the new seals so I will also do another test after 200 miles and see if anything changes.

it was my first time doing vanos work so I am pleased that my timing numbers match what they were before the work so that means i didn't mess up the timing which is nice..

the only thing I have not changed now vanos wise is the solenoid. I did perform a proper cleaning of the solenoid valves using magnets and brake cleaner and i got very nice clicks using magnets after everything was cleaned and the pack seems to be functioning ok since I have no codes.

Comment

You may need to test with ISTA or DIS, it seems you are loosing pressure, which makes the timing drift. Tolerance is 5 deg

As far as I can tell you can loose pressure through…

-seals
                        -valve body
                        -pressure regulating valve

or there is low oil pressure in the unit all together

i would recommend to gage the VANOS oil pressure.

but I once suffer from low pressure (40bar v 115bar) and even then I was not drifting timing.

so based on all this, if you can borrow another valve body with regulator valve and test you may at least be able to discard those… I know of a Z4M that would fail VANOS testing precisely due to a bad valve body.

i have one that I may be willing to sell from a 50k car as I renewed mine when trouble shooting my pressure issue ( it was the disk pump)

Comment

Did this test a few days ago. Just wanted to say thanks to Tomba for providing the file.

Mike​
                          02 M3 Titanium Silver/Black
                          11 Tundra SuperWhite/Black
                          16 X5

Comment

Unzip the attachment,
                            place it in C:\EDIABAS\ECU
                            start Tool32
                            Click the 2nd [OPEN] icon
                            open MSS54_VANOS_Test.tst
                            Press F8 to run all tests
                            A result screen similar to the quoted code text below should appear *tested only with bench set up! Not with a running engine
                            Code:
                            Start : 18.06.2020 19:57:00.5
                            Nr 1( 1) : 18.06.2020 19:57:00.6
                            apiJob("mss54ds0","STEUERN_EVANOS1_FRUEHANSCHLAG", "","")
                            JOB_STATUS = OKAY
                            EVAN_ISTWERT = 60 00 3C .<
                            EVAN_SOLLWERT = 52 00 34 .4
                            EVAN_ISTWERT_EINH = Grad KW
                            EVAN_SOLLWERT_EINH = Grad KW
                            Nr 2( 1) : 18.06.2020 19:57:06.0
                            apiJob("mss54ds0","STEUERN_EVANOS1_SPAETANSCHLAG", "","")
                            JOB_STATUS = OKAY
                            EVAN_ISTWERT = 60 00 3C .<
                            EVAN_SOLLWERT = 52 00 34 .4
                            EVAN_ISTWERT_EINH = Grad KW
                            EVAN_SOLLWERT_EINH = Grad KW
                            Nr 3( 1) : 18.06.2020 19:57:11.3
                            apiJob("mss54ds0","STEUERN_EVANOS1_VERSTELLZEIT"," ","")
                            JOB_STATUS = OKAY
                            EVAN_VERSTELLZEIT_FRUEH = 0 00 00 ..
                            EVAN_VERSTELLZEIT_SPAET = 0 00 00 ..
                            EVAN_VERSTELLZEIT_FRUEH_EINH = ms
                            EVAN_VERSTELLZEIT_SPAET_EINH = ms
                            Nr 4( 1) : 18.06.2020 19:57:17.5
                            apiJob("mss54ds0","STEUERN_EVANOS1_DICHTHEIT",""," ")
                            JOB_STATUS = OKAY
                            EVAN_STATUS = EVANOS-1-Einheit vorzeitig weggedriftet
                            Nr 5( 1) : 18.06.2020 19:57:32.0
                            apiJob("mss54ds0","STEUERN_AVANOS1_FRUEHANSCHLAG", "","")
                            JOB_STATUS = OKAY
                            AVAN_ISTWERT = 0 00 00 ..
                            AVAN_SOLLWERT = 0 00 00 ..
                            AVAN_ISTWERT_EINH = Grad KW
                            AVAN_SOLLWERT_EINH = Grad KW
                            Nr 6( 1) : 18.06.2020 19:57:37.3
                            apiJob("mss54ds0","STEUERN_AVANOS1_SPAETANSCHLAG", "","")
                            JOB_STATUS = OKAY
                            AVAN_ISTWERT = 0 00 00 ..
                            AVAN_SOLLWERT = 0 00 00 ..
                            AVAN_ISTWERT_EINH = Grad KW
                            AVAN_SOLLWERT_EINH = Grad KW
                            Nr 7( 1) : 18.06.2020 19:57:42.5
                            apiJob("mss54ds0","STEUERN_AVANOS1_VERSTELLZEIT"," ","")
                            JOB_STATUS = OKAY
                            AVAN_VERSTELLZEIT_FRUEH = 0 00 00 ..
                            AVAN_VERSTELLZEIT_SPAET = 0 00 00 ..
                            AVAN_VERSTELLZEIT_FRUEH_EINH = ms
                            AVAN_VERSTELLZEIT_SPAET_EINH = ms
                            Nr 8( 1) : 18.06.2020 19:57:48.9
                            apiJob("mss54ds0","STEUERN_AVANOS1_DICHTHEIT",""," ")
                            JOB_STATUS = OKAY
                            AVAN_STATUS = AVANOS-1-Einheit vorzeitig weggedriftet
                            Stop : 18.06.2020 19:58:03.3
                            Dauer : 62.9 s
                            Thank you for putting this together.
                            Will this work for any engine tough? I would like to test an N12.

Comment

Originally posted by KnechtNoobrecht View Post

Thank you for putting this together.
                              Will this work for any engine tough? I would like to test an N12.
                              only MSS54 ECU.
                              For N12 I will need to make another.

Comment

A friend of mine has an S54 in an E30 he did a Vanos refresh with beisan parts but now has a code for inlet Vanos.

We ran a Vanos test using the script in this thread and not really sure how to interpret it but it doesn't look good. We ran the test two times and the results look similar, can we drove the car for about 30 minutes? Getting everything nice and hot still the results look pretty similar.

I'm starting to think that they didn't set the timing right the plungers and the range of the cam gear sprockets..

Exhaust side looks fine. It's the intake side that looks like it has a mechanical issue.

Code:
                                Start     : 11.08.2023 16:56:41.4
                                Nr 1(  1) : 11.08.2023 16:56:41.4
                                  EVAN_ISTWERT                    = 15                 00 0F  ..    
                                  EVAN_SOLLWERT                   = -10          FF FF FF F6  ����  
                                Nr 2(  1) : 11.08.2023 16:56:46.8
                                  EVAN_ISTWERT                    = 59                 00 3B  .;    
                                Nr 3(  1) : 11.08.2023 16:56:52.0
                                  EVAN_VERSTELLZEIT_FRUEH         = 0                  00 00  ..    
                                  EVAN_VERSTELLZEIT_SPAET         = 0                  00 00  ..    
                                Nr 4(  1) : 11.08.2023 16:56:58.3
                                Nr 5(  1) : 11.08.2023 16:57:12.7
                                  AVAN_SOLLWERT                   = -10          FF FF FF F6  ����  
                                Nr 6(  1) : 11.08.2023 16:57:18.0
                                Nr 7(  1) : 11.08.2023 16:57:23.2
                                  AVAN_VERSTELLZEIT_FRUEH         = 179                00 B3  .�    
                                  AVAN_VERSTELLZEIT_SPAET         = 171                00 AB  .�    
                                Nr 8(  1) : 11.08.2023 16:57:29.5
                                Stop      : 11.08.2023 16:57:44.2
                                Dauer     : 62.9 s​

Comment

Working...
                                X