The pMak26 ApexObsessed Driveway Track Car Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pMak26 View Post
    Updates: The first track day pointed out a few weak points. First, I didn't even get close to half tank before hitting fuel starve coming out of right hand corners. Being that I'd burn 1/4 tank of gas in one session and I hit fuel starve at the beginning of the second session, I definitely needed to fix this one. In goes the bimmerworld e36 pump to feed the bucket on the stock pump.
    can you expand more on this idea? i'm having the same fuel starvation just after i pass half tank too.
    2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT | :: Bone Stock ::
    2004 Titanium Silver E46 M3 6 Speed | :: Track Car ::

Comment

Originally posted by sc_tr0jan_m3 View Post

can you expand more on this idea? i'm having the same fuel starvation just after i pass half tank too.
      Bimmerworld sells a kit that will pump fuel from the drivers side over to the passenger side where the main fuel pump will pick it up. We run it in our car as well. So far no issues, but we haven't been able to really push the new car to the limit yet with COVID.

https://www.bimmerworld.com/Intake-F...ation-Kit.html

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post

Bimmerworld sells a kit that will pump fuel from the drivers side over to the passenger side where the main fuel pump will pick it up. We run it in our car as well. So far no issues, but we haven't been able to really push the new car to the limit yet with COVID.

Have this kit. Love it. Have ran the car down below 3 gallons with no issue

Comment

Originally posted by S14 View Post

The CSF oil cooler uses stock lines, it's a 5 minute job to swap the oil coolers out, what about the lines are you needing to figure out?
          Being as my stock lines were leaking, I'm doing -10an lines and my cooler has the -10an male ends welded on, not the stock single bolt adaptor setup (you can order it either way). I have a bunch of -10an fittings already but I ran out of line so I'm waiting for that to come in :/
          '02 e46m3 - fully caged track car
          many others

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post

nice, thanks for the link! adding it to my list.
            2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT | :: Bone Stock ::
            2004 Titanium Silver E46 M3 6 Speed | :: Track Car ::

Comment

uhh, haven't updated this in a while.

Did a few events. Been having fun but also breaking shit. I'm highly not impressed with the Hard Motorsports splitter setup. It is shown over and over again with no splitter rods. Welp, at 140mph that wasn't happening. I heard it flapping away, pulled off. Damn thing was smiling at me. LOL

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200829_110848.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	163.7 KB
ID:	63687

Okay okay, I really should have known better. So I pulled the splitter off and ran the rest of the day with out. It definitely affected handling but meh, still fun:

Best of the day was a 1:11x or 1:12x or something. Not too bad. That is on the AR1s.

Anyway, made my own splitter rods and attachments and whatnot:

Name:	IMG_20200911_114224.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	63688

Name:	IMG_20200911_114200.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	63689

And then promptly went out and smacked it on the deck when I completely blew my braking into the fast sweeper at Pocono... LOL again, I'm stupid.

Splitter was fine-ish. No big deal. The HardMotorsports mounts aren't looking great. The previous no splitter rods fun started to fail the passenger side one, but lets just ignore that for now. The trip over the curb did bend something in the steering. The wheel was 5* to the right after the flight into the grass. Boy howdy was it fun though!

So since I sorta broke the car, and I happen to have a z3 steering rack sitting at home already, I decided to go ahead and replace, well everything.
              many others

Comment

"while i'm in there"....

New rack, new lines, new PS reservoir, new inners, outers and boots. 80a engine and trans mounts. Clean and paint the subframe, etc

Name:	IMG_20201014_141506.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	63692

Also did some of these

Name:	IMG_20201012_231133.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	63693

I don't know at what mileage, because I never cared to look it up, but this car definitely had the bearing recall done at some point. At 116k miles now, 3 of the uppers were showing a tiny bit of copper. Luckily for me this engine has clearly been well maintained all it's life and had proper oil changes, evident by the color of the oil 'stains' in the pan and other key areas.

Name:	IMG_20201012_214459.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	63694
                It's all back together and ready to go again. It started up and sounded fine. I've yet to drive it though. I injured myself going over the bars of my MTB last week at one of the local mountains. When I'm all healed up I'll give it a drive, get the front toe re-aligned and head back to whatever track isn't covered in snow by that time.
                many others

Comment

Yeah...there is a learning curve with the splitter. I've finally stopped raping the splitter in the paddock over bumps and getting it on the trailer. My last plywood splitter has been holding up!

I mounted the splitter rods to the same location as yours. I've found that the reinforcement will flex quite a bit so I'm moving the rods to mount to the bottom of the kevlar bumper support. If you mount close to where the reinforcement bolts to the frame...it seems like there's less movement.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post
                    I mounted the splitter rods to the same location as yours. I've found that the reinforcement will flex quite a bit so I'm moving the rods to mount to the bottom of the kevlar bumper support. If you mount close to where the reinforcement bolts to the frame...it seems like there's less movement.
                    I've noticed this as well. Not overly concerned for now but figure I'll mount a camera at some point to see just how much deflection there is.

Kind of the reason I don't rush to get anything done on the m3; Donno what else you guys do/race but I've been getting back into the this after a few years out. Even picked up a win in the rain last time out:

many others

Comment

Small update. I picked up a stock faded black hood, got the N15 vents from Lawrence who is an awesome dude and installed. I liked the side vents so much I ordered the front vent as well, but haven't installed it as the car is buried in snow right now.

Name:	IMG_20201112_095013.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	74769

Name:	IMG_20201113_174827.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	74770

Name:	IMG_20201114_172958.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	74771
                      many others

Comment

The N15 vents are great! A plus when you support of fellow long time forum contributor while getting some value in return.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I owe this thread a small update. I've finished the hood with the addition of the front vent and some hood latches, with retaining the stock latches too. Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210324_201120.jpg Views:	0 Size:	137.4 KB ID:	112257

I've also switch to a smaller rear wing. I had the Snead Speed wing sitting on my shelf already. The 9lives wang is great, but man it is huge. Since the car had a hint of mid corner push at high speed corners, I decided to try the smaller SS wing. So far, I'm liking it. Picked up a few MPH and the balance is better.
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210309_155833.jpg Views:	0 Size:	102.1 KB ID:	112258

Other then that, just maintenance stuff. Using Girodisc pads now, changed a front wheel bearing and just been tracking whenever I can.
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	paul pocono 4-20 (2).jpg Views:	0 Size:	62.0 KB ID:	112260

Here's a session in progressively more rain on the Nankangs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blsxXkHx8Po

In other news, I'm selling my LS1/T56 swapped e36m3. Reach out if interested.
                          Attached Files
                          many others

Comment

Nice! Are you running ST43 pads?
                            '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Originally posted by r4dr View Post
                              Nice! Are you running ST43 pads?
                              "G-Loc" pads - R16 fronts and R10 rears right now. I'll go more aggressive on the rears for my next set though.
                              many others

Comment

Not too much new stuff going on with the car but I have been tracking it as much as I can during this very busy summer. I noticed some cracks forming on the original brembo front rotors so I replaced them with some girodisc rings. Mounted up some pirelli DH take offs I got for cheap. The sidewall height was a little higher than stock/ideal but meh, they worked amazingly well. Dropped my time vs the AR-1s by about 3% and there is more left in them as I figured out what pressures to run and how they liked to be driven.

Name:	IMG_20210721_124606.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	118361

There is another thread floating around about these that I posted in with more detail but I installed a CarTek GT battery isolator.

Name:	IMG_20210707_222312.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	118362

And literally how the car sits right now as I wait for some exhaust studs to show up:

Name:	IMG_20210730_184148.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	118363

many others

Comment

Working...
                                X