X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by empty View Post

Thanks. Can you disclose the companies? If not please send DM. Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Kassel Performance in York PA put the CSL shift parameters in the SMG and motorsport file on the ABS.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post
      The only thing I've noticed is that the brakes will cause the car to not slow down as quickly if I overcook a braking zone. I don't get the sensation of the brake pedal pulsing. Is that ice mode? I can still steer the car which tells me that the ABS is functioning. I've never gone straight off with the wheel turned...which is what I would imagine is the result of ice mode. No tire smoke unless I'm 90 degrees to the intended path of travel and I go 2 feet in. Although the website says that deleting the DSC sensor degrades ABS performance...I'm not sure that it really does.
      Did you ever resolve this? I feel like I'm getting something similar in my car with the mk20. If I exceed a certain rate of deceleration, it does not like it. I can get the brakes to clamp down if I extend the brake zone, but I can't seem to compress it without the car destabilizing and won't be able to get them to clamp down. Really difficult to get consistent braking with the soft pedal. Might try and pull the abs fuse and see how it feels then.

I wonder if it's time to convert to mk60? Would it be as easy as swapping in a mk60 unit and getting the Epic harness and new wheel speed sensors from bimmerworld?

Comment

Originally posted by CrookedCommie View Post
        I wonder if it's time to convert to mk60? Would it be as easy as swapping in a mk60 unit and getting the Epic harness and new wheel speed sensors from bimmerworld?
        You could do that, but technically the module is designed to sit on the other side of the engine bay. Moving everything over is super involved. Currently in the middle of doing my swap, more details here: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...418#post185418

I'll be doing a writeup once it's all done and tested (few weeks probably), so everything I learned will be documented there.
        2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

You could do that, but technically the module is designed to sit on the other side of the engine bay. Moving everything over is super involved. Currently in the middle of doing my swap, more details here: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...418#post185418

I'll be doing a writeup once it's all done and tested (few weeks probably), so everything I learned will be documented there.
          Is the reason to move it over due to DSC or ABS? I don't use DSC and will not be needing it, was hoping to avoid having to move the module, as yes, that will require running new brake lines.

Comment

Is the reason to move it over due to DSC or ABS?
            Both. I want m track mode, but I also want to be able to code the module for bigger brakes and for a different steering ratio.

I don't use DSC and will not be needing it, was hoping to avoid having to move the module, as yes, that will require running new brake lines.
            You can get away with having the MK60 in the spot that the MK20 is now. Four of the lines will plug in directly and then you'll need unions and some short sections of brake line to connect the other two. All the necessary wires are already in the MK20 plug, so you would just need to find an MK60 plug and then transfer over the wires to the correct spots.

MK20 accumulator would need to stay in place and you wouldn't get all of that nice reduction in complexity and weight. Also, the master cylinder wouldn't match what the MK60 is designed for, but it should work.

The other way you can do this —without running all new brake lines— is to intercept the two rear brake lines by the steering column. They have unions from the factory, so you could unbolt the sections that go to the MK20 and run new lines to the MK60. Should just need to remove the intake for this, probably don't even need to get under the car. Pic below.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220828_175224.jpg Views:	0 Size:	113.9 KB ID:	186035

You would still need to run two new front lines though. Probably also worth to swap out the booster and master cylinder is you're going that route.
            Last edited by heinzboehmer; 09-26-2022, 12:32 PM.
            2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

Comment

What a headache, if pulling the abs fuse fixes the issue I may just leave it that way.

Comment

What a headache, if pulling the abs fuse fixes the issue I may just leave it that way.
                Lol, yeah. I went into the project knowing it was going to be long, but it turned out to be a LOT more work than I expected.

Comment

Did you ever resolve this? I feel like I'm getting something similar in my car with the mk20. If I exceed a certain rate of deceleration, it does not like it. I can get the brakes to clamp down if I extend the brake zone, but I can't seem to compress it without the car destabilizing and won't be able to get them to clamp down. Really difficult to get consistent braking with the soft pedal. Might try and pull the abs fuse and see how it feels then.

I haven't overcooked a braking zone for awhile...thankfully! I have been using my brakes more aggressively when turning and I can say that I'm impressed with the ABS. I can apply a lot more brake than I thought.

Comment

I reached out to Racing Harness Technologies, they have a motorsport kit with install instructions on converting MK20 to MK60 with Continental Motorsports race map. Looks very doable, I'll report back when I get it installed and impressions.

Comment

I reached out to Racing Harness Technologies, they have a motorsport kit with install instructions on converting MK20 to MK60 with Continental Motorsports race map. Looks very doable, I'll report back when I get it installed and impressions.
                      Interesting. What does that involve?

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

Interesting. What does that involve?
                        Remove old mk20, install new mk60e1 unit, comes with bent lines and connectors as you described to hook up the two lines that won't connect directly over to the mk60, then harness install with power, pressure sensors, dsc sensor, speed sensors and cable routing, then splice over the brake switch from the existing signal to the mk20 to the new harness. Clear codes and bleed abs. Shouldn't be too time consuming as the car is already stripped.

Comment

Remove old mk20, install new mk60e1 unit, comes with bent lines and connectors as you described to hook up the two lines that won't connect directly over to the mk60, then harness install with power, pressure sensors, dsc sensor, speed sensors and cable routing, then splice over the brake switch from the existing signal to the mk20 to the new harness. Clear codes and bleed abs. Shouldn't be too time consuming as the car is already stripped.
                          Cool, shouldn't be a hard install at all then. Most annoying part will probably be bleeding the brakes. Interested in seeing what you think of it!

Comment

Just finished my swap and wrote this up in case it's useful for when you do yours: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...mk20-mk60-swap

Comment

Working...
                            X