Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Else Should I Change When I do My Clutch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you guys! I could not imagine brass would do so bad where factory was plastic...

Comment

Thanks for all the input guys. Here's a list I put together of all the stuff I'm going to change in case anyone wants it:
      Item Part Number Quantity Unit Price Total Price Vendor
      Luk Clutch Kit - 1 $269.29 $269.29 Amazon
      Pressure Plate Screws 21207548052 6 $1.52 $9.12 FCP
      Throw Out Bearing Guide Tube 23117512866 1 $65.78 $65.78 ECS
      Throw Out Bearing 21511223582 1 $73.77 $73.77 FCP
      Pilot Bearing 11211720310 1 $26.40 $26.40 FCP
      Steel Pivot Pin 21511223281 1 $23.92 $23.92 FCP
      Release Arm 21511223302 1 $30.72 $30.72 FCP
      Locking Pin 23111222979 1 $20.05 $20.05 ECS
      Locking Pin 23311224130 1 $17.06 $17.06 ECS
      Ball 7119986280 1 $0.99 $0.99 ECS
      Locking Pin 23317501584 1 $39.29 $39.29 ECS
      Thrust Pin 23311282444 1 $27.16 $27.16 ECS
      Compression Spring 23311228393 1 $7.04 $7.04 FCP
      Compression Spring 23111222720 1 $8.77 $8.77 FCP
      Compression Spring 23317511337 1 $9.55 $9.55 FCP
      Compression Spring 23311228405 1 $9.32 $9.32 FCP
      Repair Kit 23317506947 1 $186.24 $186.24 ECS
      Flywheel 21212229900 1 $383.34 $383.34 FCP
      Flywheel Bolts 11222243051 8 $2.39 $19.12 FCP
      Rear Main Seal 11142247867 1 $122.45 $122.45 FCP
      Input Shaft Seal 23121228493 1 $14.43 $14.43 FCP
      Output Shaft Seal 23121222769 1 $5.32 $5.32 FCP
      Shift Selector Seal 23127501582 1 $22.12 $22.12 FCP
      Driveshaft Centering Sleeve 26117526611 1 $9.25 $9.25 FCP
      Guibo 26112226527 1 $68.78 $68.78 FCP
      Guibo Nuts 26127536563 6 $1.63 $9.78 FCP
      Exhaust Gasket 11627830668 2 $14.43 $28.86 FCP
      Exhaust Nut 18301317898 4 $6.35 $25.40 FCP
      Exhaust Nut 11621744323 6 $3.07 $18.42 FCP
      Shifter Arm Bushing 25111222015 1 $18.61 $18.61 FCP
      Autosolutions AutoCross - 1 $540.00 $540.00 AutoSolutions
      I included the flywheel because I can feel my clutch slipping at high load, so I'm assuming it'll be damaged. I'll return it if not. Also, I'm leaning towards doing all the seals, especially after seeing they all have springs and are not the same type as the front crankshaft seal. Depending on how my original ones look when I take the trans off, I might decide against it though.
      Last edited by heinzboehmer; 04-17-2020, 05:18 PM.
      2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

For the shifter these are also worth replacing (unless they are parts of kits you included - I didnt run all your part numbers in search to see what is included):

Cpv and csb good on yours?
        Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by COVID-19 View Post
          +1 my brass one looked like Kaivs after 20k miles.
          Ugh, it hurts me to imagine that this is what mine looks like now, as mine's at 20k. Seems like this would probably be quietly hurting the clutch by not allowing full range of motion for the TOB?

Comment

Originally posted by mrgizmo04 View Post
            For the shifter these are also worth replacing (unless they are parts of kits you included - I didnt run all your part numbers in search to see what is included):

Cpv and csb good on yours?
            Those parts are all replaced by the AutoSolutions SSK if I'm not mistaken. I did the CPV o-ring about 7k mi ago and the CSB about 13k mi ago.
            2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by ATB88 View Post

Ugh, it hurts me to imagine that this is what mine looks like now, as mine's at 20k. Seems like this would probably be quietly hurting the clutch by not allowing full range of motion for the TOB?
              The other end of the fork is engaged by the clutch slave cylinder plunger, so if the pivot wears enough, yes, full range of motion will be limited and you will not be able to fully engage/disengage the clutch since pp will not be getting enough compression and it'll get hard to get it into/out of gear.
              Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

Those parts are all replaced by the AutoSolutions SSK if I'm not mistaken. I did the CPV o-ring about 7k mi ago and the CSB about 13k mi ago.
                Ok cool.
                Youtube DIYs and more

Comment

I should've replaced my pivot pin with a steel one I guess. Mine was plastic and pretty deformed.

Can do heater hose orings since the intake will be off. Change your trans fluid if that wasn't said. Do it while it's off. It's absolute cake when there's not a car in the way and gravity is working with you, not against you. Just put 1.6-1.8L in.

One thing that was weird about my LUK clutch kit was the metal thing holding the pressure plate in the middle. I couldn't comprehend how to remove it initially. I would assume it had something to do with the auto adjustment.
                  This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                  https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Originally posted by Arith2 View Post

One thing that was weird about my LUK clutch kit was the metal thing holding the pressure plate in the middle. I couldn't comprehend how to remove it initially. I would assume it had something to do with the auto adjustment.
                    Yeah unit is SAC - self adjusting clutch. It keeps the pp spring fully tensioned out of the box until you secure it to the flywheel and then you release it. Adjustment mechanism moves the pp surface out as it/clutch wear so you have the same engagement point in your clutch throw. Truthfully - a bit more trouble than it's worth prob. You have to reset it if you ever remove the pp and want to reuse it and you never know if your clutch is toward the end of life since it doesn't move engagement point higher up in the throw, but anyway.
                    Youtube DIYs and more

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
                      Thanks for all the input guys. Here's a list I put together of all the stuff I'm going to change in case anyone wants it:

I included the flywheel because I can feel my clutch slipping at high load, so I'm assuming it'll be damaged. I'll return it if not. Also, I'm leaning towards doing all the seals, especially after seeing they all have springs and are not the same type as the front crankshaft seal. Depending on how my original ones look when I take the trans off, I might decide against it though.
                      Great list, very helpful. You've got a minor math error about 2/3 of the way down - money saved!
                      - Agree on the flywheel; you may find the DM worn even if the surface is in suitable condition. RockAuto has the LUK DMF for about $100 less at the moment: https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...,flywheel,5348
                      - You've got the OEM pilot bearing and that's the right call. I once bought a FAG (OE) and the fit was poor (too loose).
                      - The rear main seal assembly is the more straightforward albeit more expensive route. Buying just the rear main seal and driving it into the existing aluminum carrier is straightforward, as well as remounting with a new gasket, so long as you work neatly and cleanly. Some say you'll still get a leak. Its personal preference.
                      '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

Could always do a lightweight flywheel. It's a pretty underrated mod. Our engines are pretty balance and have dampener on the front so chatter shouldn't be real detrimental to the engine. You'd just have to learn how to drive stick all over and of course there's the chatter. Maybe get a flywheel that can at least be resurfaced.
                        This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                        https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Originally posted by Arith2 View Post
                          Could always do a lightweight flywheel. It's a pretty underrated mod. Our engines are pretty balance and have dampener on the front so chatter shouldn't be real detrimental to the engine. You'd just have to learn how to drive stick all over and of course there's the chatter. Maybe get a flywheel that can at least be resurfaced.
                          Meh, downgrade imo. Maker the car sound like a hooptie and pretty decent correlation between light weight flywheels and harmonic balancer failure.

Even when I had a dedicated track car, I moved it from the light weight flywheel it came with to a stock factory mass.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                          2012 LMB/Black 128i
                          2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

Metal pivot pins add nhv. If that’s worth it is up to you. Personally I’d replace with new plastic— failure is pretty rare. If you do go with a metal one, I’d use the OE BMW metal one.

I’d do:
                            new plastic pivot pin
                            new OE throw out bearing
                            new pilot bearing
                            rear main seal
                            clutch/pressure plate
                            guibo
                            center support bearing
                            any exhaust nuts removed
                            any exhaust gasket removed
                            I had a plastic pivot pin get crushed and I had to pull the trans to replace, just the pin with a metal one that I have never had to worry about again. If you ever have the trans out, put the metal pivot pin in. The rest I agree with.
                            2003 Carbon Black - Karbonious CSL intake, CSL DME w/MAP, SSV1 headers/Catted Section1/63.5mm Section2, Shrick 280/272 cams, Lang Racing Stage 1 cylinder head, Eibach Pro Street S Coilovers (500#F/600#R), GC Sways, AutoSolutions SSK, Motorsport 3.91 rear diff, BBS RGR wheels, Streamline CSL front bumper

Comment

Originally posted by cozmo kraemer View Post

I had a plastic pivot pin get crushed and I had to pull the trans to replace, just the pin with a metal one that I have never had to worry about again. If you ever have the trans out, put the metal pivot pin in. The rest I agree with.
                              Yeah, it's a close call for me-- close enough that I have a BMW metal pivot pin on the shelf that I opted not to install, but also didn't get rid of

It's basically comes down to the slight chance of a failure from the plastic one vs the guaranteed but pretty insignificant NHV increase from the metal one. I end up on new plastic, but I wouldn't fault anyone for going the other way.

... but definitely not brass.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                              2012 LMB/Black 128i
                              2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by jbfrancis3 View Post

Great list, very helpful. You've got a minor math error about 2/3 of the way down - money saved!
                                - Agree on the flywheel; you may find the DM worn even if the surface is in suitable condition. RockAuto has the LUK DMF for about $100 less at the moment: https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...,flywheel,5348
                                - You've got the OEM pilot bearing and that's the right call. I once bought a FAG (OE) and the fit was poor (too loose).
                                - The rear main seal assembly is the more straightforward albeit more expensive route. Buying just the rear main seal and driving it into the existing aluminum carrier is straightforward, as well as remounting with a new gasket, so long as you work neatly and cleanly. Some say you'll still get a leak. Its personal preference.
                                Thanks for pointing out the math error, I've fixed the table. Also thanks for the RockAuto link. Trying to decide if I should still buy it through FCP because of the lifetime replacement.

Comment

Working...
                                X