Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Else Should I Change When I do My Clutch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by COVID-19 View Post
    Maybe a good time to replace the compression springs
    Yeah I was on the fence with that. Had mine out recently, they look fine. I've heard mixed results with people replacing them so I'm going to let them ride...
    Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post
      Hey all. After a ton of deliberation, I ended up going with a DMF and the stock SACHS clutch kit. The SACHS kit came with what is presumably a SACHS clutch release / throwout bearing. This one:

Should I still buy the Genuine BMW equivalent?
      Im getting the same one and plan to use the Sachs clutch release / throwout bearing. I added the original BMW pilot bearing though.

Comment

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post
        Hey all. After a ton of deliberation, I ended up going with a DMF and the stock SACHS clutch kit. The SACHS kit came with what is presumably a SACHS clutch release / throwout bearing. This one:

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...ng-21511223582

Should I still buy the Genuine BMW equivalent?
        Bumping to get a definitive answer to this question. I’m for sure buying an OE pilot bearing, but I’m not sure about the throwout bearing. Are the throwout bearings that come with the Sachs and/or Luk kits fine, or should I buy an OE bearing and trash what comes with the kit?

Edit: Same question for the guide tube - OE or Getrag thru FCP?
        Last edited by SQ13; 09-12-2022, 11:49 PM.
        Silver Track to Street Car Journal
        Interlagos Blue Street Car Journal

Comment

You want the OE (genuine BMW) pilot bearing, but the OE(S) Sachs TOB is the same as the OE bmw one. It's the OEM Luk TOB you don't want.

When I was buying in early 2016, there was only the OE BMW guidetube. I would feel comfortable buying getrag. Never seen a getrag part for sale, surprised. *found it on FCP, it looks identical.
          Last edited by Tbonem3; 09-13-2022, 08:50 AM.
          DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
          /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
          More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Is the OE FAG pilot bearing the same as Genuine BMW?

Comment

I'm not sold on it. The markings I saw on the bmw pilot bearing didn't match. And FAG is made in China now. IDK, FAG has been fine for the wheel bearings.

Comment

Perfect, thanks! Buying the Sachs clutch kit, which comes with a Luk clutch. If the TOB is the wrong type, I’ll go ahead and order the correct one. Will update to let y’all know which one the kit comes with.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ13 View Post
                  Perfect, thanks! Buying the Sachs clutch kit, which comes with a Luk clutch. If the TOB is the wrong type, I’ll go ahead and order the correct one. Will update to let y’all know which one the kit comes with.
                  Let us know what you find out - I need to do clutch job soon as well (noisy TOB) and definitely want to put the best one in.

Comment

Following this thread for when I need to do my clutch - Thanks for the post and assembly of parts / part numbers!
                    - Jonathan

2004 M3 6MT Carbon Black OEM+ | Vortex Days

Comment

Originally posted by SQ13 View Post
                      Following up on this..the Sachs kit includes the wrong TOB. No biggie since the kit is only $313 on FCP, and adding the correct TOB will still be cheaper than the Luk and OE kits.

Click image for larger version

Name:	99681613-DA2D-4FAB-B6BA-457ED7E5BF9C.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	186393

Comment

Can you clarify- is that a picture of the tob that comes with the sachs and luk kits or is that a picture of the genuine bmw part you had to order?

I see it says INA and SKF, both of which are OE teir brands that provide original equipment for our cars like the pulleys/tensioners and flex disk, for example.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                          Can you clarify- is that a picture of the tob that comes with the sachs and luk kits or is that a picture of the genuine bmw part you had to order?

I see it says INA and SKF, both of which are OE teir brands that provide original equipment for our cars like the pulleys/tensioners and flex disk, for example.
                          It’s the TOB that came with the Sachs kit FCP sells.

Comment

So I wonder who the actual manufacturer is of the OE genuine BMW part, because INA and SKF are quality brands.

Anyone have a photo of a genuine bmw branded TOB?

Comment

What is the functional difference between the OEM TOB and the one from the LUK kit? I changed out my clutch with the LUK kit a few years ago and noticed the TOB but used it anyway, haven't had any problems since. Not something I'm going to drop the trans just to change but if I'm in there again I will swap it over to the OEM TOB.

Comment

I can't remember, but I'll tag someone who I know knows the difference - kaiv

Comment

Working...
                                X