Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Else Should I Change When I do My Clutch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The LUK TOB works great. It has more "articulation" than the SACHS (OE) but it doesn't appear to make any difference functionally. 200+ installed with not a single issue.

Did not read the full thread but to recap:

Sachs and Luk kits share the same clutch disk and pressure plate.
    11211720310 - Pilot bearing (I only use OE, the Korean bearings like in the LUK kit aren't as good a fit in the crank)
    21511223302 - Clutch fork
    23117512866 - Guide tube
    21511223281 - Pivot Pin (stainless steel, do not use aftermarket brass or bronze)
    21517570284 - Spring clip
    IG: @limited.slip

Mystic Blue / M-cloth E46 M3 Coupe S54 6MT
    A̶l̶p̶i̶n̶e̶ ̶W̶h̶i̶t̶e̶ ̶/̶ ̶B̶l̶a̶c̶k̶ ̶E̶4̶6̶ ̶3̶2̶5̶i̶ ̶T̶o̶u̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶S̶5̶4̶ ̶6̶M̶T̶
    Imola Red / Alcantara / Cloth E46 330i ZHP Sedan S54 6MT
    Titanium Silver / Black E39 540i M-Sport
    Touring S62 6MT
    Alpine White / Black E90 M3 S65 7DCT

Comment

Fresh DIY from FCP Euro on clutch replacement.

Sent from my BTV-W09 using Tapatalk

Comment

here are some pics of the stock, OE throw out bearing. Made by Sachs as mentioned in here.
        Attached Files

Comment

And a Sachs TOB from FCP:
          Click image for larger version

Name:	82D531E8-1352-4C7E-99B6-8B2ECA1AF2EB.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	188825 Click image for larger version

Name:	8868C823-11CB-4228-B4F6-25DBA4D536C3.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	188824
          Silver Track to Street Car Journal
          Interlagos Blue Street Car Journal

Comment

Originally posted by mrgizmo04 View Post

Yeah good point, Terra, I've seen some kits come with the ring kind.

The kind that will NOT work on our car due to SAC mechanism:

Name:	5703042_rnb_14523_pri_larg.jpg
Views:	1001
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	13762

The kind you want to make sure was either included in your kit, or that you have, before mounting the clutch/pp is this kind:

Name:	CT1011.jpg
Views:	992
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	13763
            Anyone have the correct clutch alignment tool they are willing to loan out? FCP is telling me the Sachs kit I ordered doesn't come with it and it's on backorder from Germany currently. Happy to cover shipping to/from

Comment

I can loan you mine, but I would like it back when you're done. However, before I ship it out, it appears you're located in Denver, so you may want to check with https://www.denverbeerandoil.com/ and see if they have one you can borrow. If not let me know, and I can ship it out.

Comment

Originally posted by BMWE46M3 View Post
                I can loan you mine, but I would like it back when you're done. However, before I ship it out, it appears you're located in Denver, so you may want to check with https://www.denverbeerandoil.com/ and see if they have one you can borrow. If not let me know, and I can ship it out.
                Thanks man. Never heard of DBO before but I'm relatively new to Denver still. I'll hit them up first otherwise will shoot you a PM if they don't have one. Much appreciated!

Comment

Anyone use the Sachs Performance clutch SAC-881864999978​ instead of the OE LUK?

Comment

Originally posted by fattycharged View Post
                    Anyone use the Sachs Performance clutch SAC-881864999978​ instead of the OE LUK?
                    Both are fine to use.

Comment

Originally posted by fattycharged View Post
                      The Sachs kit has LUK stamped on the clutch disc. I think they are the same.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

The Sachs kit has LUK stamped on the clutch disc. I think they are the same.
                        the one I’m referring to.

Comment

This may be a dumb question thread question, I've never installed a pressure plate that has a "plate" in the center as to not allow the clutch alignment tool to go in.

What is the purpose of this plate, keeping things aligned?
                          I assume it must come out at some point as you couldn't get the alignment tool in place in the clutch and put the pressure plate over it let alone the tranny input shaft.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20240102_094149_Chrome.jpg Views:	0 Size:	89.8 KB ID:	247582
                          Last edited by Cubieman; 01-02-2024, 04:34 PM.
                          2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
                          Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
                          Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
                          RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
                          Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post
                            This may be a dumb question thread question, I've never installed a pressure plate that has a "plate" in the center as to not allow the clutch alignment tool to go in.

What is the purpose of this plate, keeping things aligned?
                            I assume it must come at some point as you couldn't get the alignment tool in place in the clutch and put the pressure plate over it let alone the tranny input shaft.

Name:	Screenshot_20240102_094149_Chrome.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	247582
                            That is for the SAC or self adjusting clutch mechanism. You bolt up the pressure plate and then twist that piece out which engages the SAC.

Don't take it out before tightening the pressure plate or it makes the job more of a pain. You can reset the SAC, you just need a 3 jaw puller and a mandrel to press on the pressure plate fingers. Here's a tip if you need to reset the SAC. Install the pressure plate and clutch with the 3 jaw puller on it. Snug the pressure plate bolts to the flywheel enough so the SAC will reset but you can still move the clutch disc a little bit by tapping with a hammer/chisel or screwdriver. Just a touch past hand tight. Remove the 3 jaw puller, use the clutch tool to center the disc and then torque the pressure plate bolts.

The risk here is you won't know it worked until you install the transmission.

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

Interesting how there seems to be so much variation. Maybe it's an effect of failures being more compelling to report? Regardless, I'll update this thread with the condition of my pivot pin when I do all of this.
                              Did you finish this project and what's the condition of the stock plastic pivot pin?
                              How hard to get the unbolted starter off the dowel pin? When I removed my transmission, it was a tough job to remove the exhaust pipes 4 nuts off the cat studs, and of course the bell housing top two E14 bolts. But nothing compared to removing the starter off the little dowel pin -- I couldn't believe this. People say to hammer the pin forward off the bellhousing using a 4mm Allen socket on the long 24" extension, and I tried this too but it didn't move and I fear this could break the bellhousing ear then a bigger headache. Non-M starter has a 5mm gap between the starter solenoid base and the bellhousing to wedge in a prybar or large screwdriver to work it loose, but M3 starter has no such gap.
                              There is no reason that BMW couldn't have the starter dowel hole 0.003" larger than the pin. My 1974 E9 doesn't have the dowel pin.

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post

Did you finish this project and what's the condition of the stock plastic pivot pin?
                                How hard to get the unbolted starter off the dowel pin? When I removed my transmission, it was a tough job to remove the exhaust pipes 4 nuts off the cat studs, and of course the bell housing top two E14 bolts. But nothing compared to removing the starter off the little dowel pin -- I couldn't believe this. People say to hammer the pin forward off the bellhousing using a 4mm Allen socket on the long 24" extension, and I tried this too but it didn't move and I fear this could break the bellhousing ear then a bigger headache. Non-M starter has a 5mm gap between the starter solenoid base and the bellhousing to wedge in a prybar or large screwdriver to work it loose, but M3 starter has no such gap.
                                There is no reason that BMW couldn't have the starter dowel hole 0.003" larger than the pin. My 1974 E9 doesn't have the dowel pin.
                                Yeah I swapped the clutch a few years ago. Haven't had the transmission off since, so no idea how the replacement parts are wearing. This is what the original pivot pin looked like (ignore the marks on the side, those are from the vise grips I used to get it out):

Name:	20200510_145518.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	247614

I swapped the starter on my car about a year before doing the clutch and didn't have an issue getting it off either time. It pulled right out once the bolts were removed.
                                2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Working...
                                X