No announcement yet.

CA/LA Smog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The techs might not even know in the case of a pass. The tech will just run the BAR-OIS software and if it passes, the tech might not necessarily know whether a CVN check was performed by the software or not. I'm hoping that it does not perform the CVN check since there shouldn't be any manufacturer data to compare it to model years '07 and prior. If someone fails and it says it's because of the CVN, then we'll have our answer.

What I haven't been able to find is whether the BAR-OIS software will automatically record your CVN in the event that no manufacturer data was provided and use that as the baseline for future inspections. I don't believe so, but idk. Admin law is a bitch because they basically get to make their own rules and they're usually so poorly managed that you can't even find the rules that they feel like following.

Comment

Originally posted by skristedja View Post
      I'm hoping that it does not perform the CVN check since there shouldn't be any manufacturer data to compare it to model years '07 and prior..

this is what baffles me, do they really plan on crowdsourcing ECU data from whoever comes in for smog checks and the most consistent reads become the new standard?

Comment

Sounds like something California would do.
        DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
        /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
        More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

TTFS Engine/SMG Tune - CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA
          Brembo 996 - ARC-8's - BWS 500S 9k/11k - Valentine 1 - BlueBus - Orion V4's
          Evolve Eventuri
          - VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser/CSL Trunk

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
            Sounds like something California would do.
            Just one in a million reasons folks are flocking out of your "state".

Comment

I might be one soon enough
              DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
              /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
              More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                I might be one soon enough
                Think of all the guys who did smog legal swaps verified by BAR with a different dme than what came with the car which is now "unlocked" because no one actually bench flashes to realign ews the proper way. EWS delete or any variant of a manual swap where any sensors were forgone to complete the swap where a software change was made to adjust for the sensor not being used gear position sensor for instance, you are fucked. Same as if you had your current tune modified for a manual swap. Has nothing to do with emissions but for these asshole's sake, it's now considered a "tuned car" that will fail the checksum, which is utter bullshit.
                2003 E46 M3 TiAg/Cinnamon 6MT
                2005 E46 330i ZHP Imola/Sand

| Karbonius | Schrick | Supertech | Volk | Recaro | FCM | SuperSprint | Turner | Hyperco | GC | PFC | VAC | OMP | Radium Engineering | MPRacing |

Instagram:@thegenius46m

NorCal DME Programming and Coding Expert

Comment

Yeah, I'm moving to Cali this fall. Great timing too, since my SAP just failed. If I was staying in Ontario I'd delete it, but I found a couple real cheap pumps off a salvage yard on eBay as replacement. Freaking Ontario just got rid of e-testing, now I have to go back to it

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post
                    Sevan, ask your boy if there's any mention of year cutoffs specifically mentioned.
                    he said all OBD2, but i dont think he specifically knew. he did mention theyre going to get extremely strict on aftermarket cats based on the test group number under the hood.
                    Last edited by sev; 07-14-2021, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Sounds like the perfect opportunity for someone to start a rent-a-dme service. They would just need a non-HP and an HP that they flash with the appropriate software for the car it's going to.
                      2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
                        Sounds like the perfect opportunity for someone to start a rent-a-dme service. They would just need a non-HP and an HP that they flash with the appropriate software for the car it's going to.
                        BMW BLOCKBUSTERS?

BTW I might offer some kind help/service if you're in dire need around the SF Bay Area region, let me know through PM, I'll try my best.
                        Last edited by Samsonite79; 07-14-2021, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Anyone got the plug for smog somewhere in the Bay Area? Desperately need it asap as my registration expired

Comment

Catless down pipes and burble tunes is what got us into this mess. TY newer BMW guys 🤦‍♂️

Comment

The only thing I did to my car in terms of software was a TTFS SMG tune way back when. Would something like this cause me to fail under these new rules?

Comment

Originally posted by thegenius46m View Post

If we can disable CRC check and modify the CVN and Cal ID to that of virgin stock tune parameters, this will be easy to bypass by spoofing. I'm thinking just mirror all these checksum parameters in the tune file (pic below) from the reference tables in the mss54 master page to match a virgin tune then just roll up lol. If its possible this will create some insane demand. Think of all the manual swap cars on hacked tunes.

Only other option is to do what repoman suggested which would be to modify unused sections of the tune to adjust the checksum calculation to match the virgin cvn number.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_25461.png Views:	0 Size:	44.7 KB ID:	114974
                                CRC check is easy to disable, but the CVN is still calculated (I.e the tune doesn’t just grab the stored checksum value to derive the CVN).

Forcing a CRC collision is relatively simple, that can certainly be done. 16-bit is small enough that it can be brute forced instead of doing the actual math to calculate a collision.

Comment

Working...
                                X