CA/LA Smog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
    Hmm, sounds like as long as you're not messing with any emissions stuff in software (SAP delete, post cat O2 sensor delete, etc.), you should be fine.

I don't think you'd fail if you did some other software mod, like turning on sports mode memory or the shift lights. At least I hope so, it would suck to get flagged for something stupid like that.
    man i hope thats the case. I have to smog right now and I have my throttle mapping, shift lights, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by sev View Post

man i hope thats the case. I have to smog right now and I have my throttle mapping, shift lights, etc.
      Unfortunately, some more digging made me think that's wrong. Probably wise to flash back to stock just to avoid any potential hassle. You can flash your changes back on afterwards.
      2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Oh shit this software thing goes into effect Jul 19. I'll do what I can to get my car smogged this week. That will at least buy me two years before I have to get it smogged again.
        2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

Comment

Unfortunately, some more digging made me think that's wrong. Probably wise to flash back to stock just to avoid any potential hassle. You can flash your changes back on afterwards.
          does doing a partial bin dump/write eat up flash slots? i really dont want to deal with that. arggghhh

Comment

Hey everyone,

I've been digging through my old files when I got my first canned tune from Randy @ Epic for stock airbox, euro cats and headers configuration and came across this information when I did the preliminary ECU scan for him:

Vehicle Manufacturer Ecu Hardware Number : 7842981
            Vehicle Manufacturer Ecu Software Number : 7842979
            Vehicle Identification Number :XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
            So if I'm interpreting this correctly, I'm assuming the CALID and CVN are pretty much the manufacturer's assigned ECU hardware and software numbers, and are unique to each specific vehicle? Tuners typically won't touch this information unless you request for them to delete or disable emissions related functions correct?

It would be nice if some of the well-known tuners can chime in.

Comment

Originally posted by sev View Post

does doing a partial bin dump/write eat up flash slots? i really dont want to deal with that. arggghhh
              Yeah but there's like 20-something slots so you'll probably be fine. Worst case scenario, the paid version of MSSFlasher has the ability to reset the flash counter.

Comment

Oh shit this software thing goes into effect Jul 19. I'll do what I can to get my car smogged this week. That will at least buy me two years before I have to get it smogged again.
                What's your source on this? I'm going through the regs right now and haven't seen this, only saw it was proposed

Comment

Don't you get a finite number of flashes before you have to virginize your DME? Each SMOG is like 1 flash to return to stock and another to go back to CSL.

Comment

Finna cop spare dme.
                    2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by skristedja View Post

What's your source on this? I'm going through the regs right now and haven't seen this, only saw it was proposed
                      Page 9 of the link Samsonite79 posted: https://www.bar.ca.gov/pdf/BAG/20210...d_Software.pdf

Comment

You get like 30 flashes, but each one uses two slots iirc, so more like 15.

I really don't see how modifying a little code is going to change the serial numbers. As long as the ECU is your original, should be fine I would guess.
                        DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                        /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                        More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Sure, if the CVN and CAL ID are just constants stored in the firmware (serial numbers, hardware/software numbers, etc), then getting past these checks is trivial.

However, the documents posted make it seem like the CVN is actually a checksum. This is a mathematical operation that is performed on the entirety of the software to produce a number. So yes, even if you change a single bit, the checksum will change too.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210712-133847_Metal.jpg
Views:	625
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	114708
                            Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

The e46 may be exempt. Manufacturers were not required to submit CAL ID and CVN info for 2007 and prior years.

Page 6 of http://ww2.arb.ca.gov/sites/default/...og/msc0623.pdf

CAL ID & CVN
                              Section (g)(4.7.4) of the OBD II regulation requires manufacturers to submit CAL ID and CVN information. A template titled “CAL ID and CVN Data” is provided in this Mail-Out as Attachment E. For 2008 and subsequent model years, manufacturers are required to use the Microsoft Excel electronic template provided on the ARB website http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/obdprog/obdprog.htm for reporting and electronically submitting CAL ID and CVN data to ARB.

Comment

heinzboehmer has it correct.

Everyone needs to realize that if the CVN is indeed a checksum, which is how it reads, rather than a simple stored value then any modification to the DME will cause you to be flagged as your CVN would then be incorrect. I can't believe CVN is a simple stored value because it's usefulness as a software modification check would then be zero. It almost assuredly is a calculated value. If you aren't a computer guy your thinking what do you mean calculated? A little formula using the OE software engine parameters as inputs will be used to produce a value. Change an engine parameter, change the value that is produced by the calculation.

terra do you know if the CVN is a calculated value or stored value?
                                Last edited by oceansize; 07-13-2021, 12:23 PM.
                                3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Working...
                                X