No announcement yet.

CA/LA Smog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think our DMEs were updated several years ago to not have EGT as a mandatory sensor either.

But to be sure, EVAP is the only one that can be not ready in the current list of monitored sensors. O2s and cat monitoring is mandatory as well as SAP.
    DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Got everything working and got myself a pass.

In hindsight my real mistake was that I didn't properly extend/connect the post-cat O2s when I originally did the euro header/cat install 2 years ago. Easy when everything's out, pita to pull cats back out to do it.

Comment

Just got this from the BAR webpage, so big brother will be watching the smog inspectors when they feel like it... another big "F" to the california air resource board nazi.

https://www.bar.ca.gov/arsc/newslett...in-development

"Require use of a biometric login device and a web camera by licensed Smog Check inspectors when performing a Smog Check using the BAR-97 Emissions Inspection System (EIS) and BAR On-Board Diagnostic Inspection System (BAR-OIS)."

"Require that Smog Check inspectors allow BAR staff remote access to the inspection process, via the internet, when prompted by the BAR-OIS software."

Comment

Originally posted by Samsonite79 View Post
          Just got this from the BAR webpage, so big brother will be watching the smog inspectors when they feel like it...
          "Require use of a biometric login device and a web camera by licensed Smog Check inspectors when performing a Smog Check using the BAR-97 EIS and BAR-OIS."
          "Require that Smog Check inspectors allow BAR staff remote access to the inspection process, via the internet, when prompted by the BAR-OIS software."
          That’s not really far off from earlier testing checks and balances. As I have posted they use to have random checks and irregular smog test data flagged of cars on the “sniffer” back in the day. If alerted the system would say “hold car, wait for inspector, do not abort test”. Been there seen it! Them being able to see on a camera or remote access the computer test while being done is not that big a leap as compared to past. Also so much easier to use than earlier procedures.
          It’s a pretty simple added ability if one truly wanted to try and make smog testing more legitimate.
          6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

I was able to successfully pass with:
            • Euro Headers
            • Fabspeed Catted (200 Cell) Sect 1
            • Dinan Tune (which is CARB legal - the tech never mentioned anything about it at all)
            All sensors were ready. I even had a pending trouble code but that didn't matter either.

Good luck everyone.

Edit: Also a good sign is that it is NOT a sketchy smog shop and the shop owner did the work.
            Last edited by ridebikes; 09-28-2022, 10:41 AM.
            2005 6MT TiAg | 1:47.01 @ Laguna Seca
            ..........................| 1:58.93 @ Sonoma

Comment

A quick note for us California residents.... My buddy has a supercharged e46, he had a friend who said he would pass the visual as long as we could get the monitors ready. So I forced the monitors ready, via coding found on this forum ('00' every byte method). His friend did some sort of pre-test (at the smog station, using the smog test computer), and said it would pass from what he saw. However, the caveat is that my friends specific car was ref'd under the previous owner, and when we went to do the actual test, it said the car was ref'd and we weren't able to do the test.

I know this thread has mostly shown that getting the monitors to pass, even via ecu manipulation works (if the car hasn't already been to the CA Bar, and had the data saved), but just wanted to add another data point.

Comment

Originally posted by ridebikes View Post
                I was able to successfully pass with:
                • Euro Headers
                • Fabspeed Catted (200 Cell) Sect 1
                • Dinan Tune (which is CARB legal - the tech never mentioned anything about it at all)
                All sensors were ready. I even had a pending trouble code but that didn't matter either.

Good luck everyone.
                Did they look underneath the car?
                http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
                '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
                '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post

Did they look underneath the car?
                  Nope, just plugged in a computer 👍
                  2005 6MT TiAg | 1:47.01 @ Laguna Seca
                  ..........................| 1:58.93 @ Sonoma

Comment

Might be a newbie question but I was curious if anyone might have the answer: Will disabling the EWS fail smog? Curious because I was thinking is it would be worthwhile to have another tuned ECU to switch between the stock.

Comment

Originally posted by SL Blak Soldier View Post
                      A quick note for us California residents.... My buddy has a supercharged e46, he had a friend who said he would pass the visual as long as we could get the monitors ready. So I forced the monitors ready, via coding found on this forum ('00' every byte method). His friend did some sort of pre-test (at the smog station, using the smog test computer), and said it would pass from what he saw. However, the caveat is that my friends specific car was ref'd under the previous owner, and when we went to do the actual test, it said the car was ref'd and we weren't able to do the test.

I know this thread has mostly shown that getting the monitors to pass, even via ecu manipulation works (if the car hasn't already been to the CA Bar, and had the data saved), but just wanted to add another data point.
                      If the car was ref'd it has to pass ref to get that status removed. But in theory yes it should pass if the monitors are forced ready. However sometimes you do get a "Modified Software" result when testing. Not sure why it triggers or if it's only certain cars.
                      Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Had my car smogged tested couple days ago. I have an Active Autowerke (AA) tune. I have stock tube headers with cats. I returned the intake back to all stock for testing.
                        Took some precise driving to get my cats triggered to “ready” but drive cycle got them triggered for test. Smog station tech looked for my cats with a flashlight and mirror. Had my car plugged into computer for like 10 mins and came back and said car passed.
                        So my first hand contribution to thread and new testing is my AA tune (that has nothing messing with O2 sensors or Check Engine Lights) passed and showed no flags.
                        Last edited by old///MFanatic; 11-08-2022, 04:57 PM.
                        6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

Following this thread. Got dinged on a SS cat and headers when they checked under the car. Anyone in nor cal have better luck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Posting a data point from norcal. Passed without problems. Some details...
                            -Ssv1 with ss cats
                            -PC tune (modified with some hex editing, primarily to force front o2s, my car is one of few that can not set front o2 with ssv1).
                            -I did make it easier on the visual to look primarily "stock" in the engine bay and put back the easy things I don't normally run on the car - swapped the stock air filter box (vs eventuri), mech fan, top air duct, beauty cover, hid rear o2/egt wires and e85 connector/wires behind the firewall, added sap, put back the cabin filter box and firewall panel, put 2" wide electrical tape to "close" the cable holder that holds fuel injector wires (because of e85 connectors and wires it can't properly close on it's own). Also added back the rear seats/bolsters/cards to attract less attention.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by mrgizmo04 View Post
                              Posting a data point from norcal. Passed without problems. Some details...
                              -Ssv1 with ss cats
                              -PC tune (modified with some hex editing, primarily to force front o2s, my car is one of few that can not set front o2 with ssv1).
                              -I did make it easier on the visual to look primarily "stock" in the engine bay and put back the easy things I don't normally run on the car - swapped the stock air filter box (vs eventuri), mech fan, top air duct, beauty cover, hid rear o2/egt wires and e85 connector/wires behind the firewall, added sap, put back the cabin filter box and firewall panel, put 2" wide electrical tape to "close" the cable holder that holds fuel injector wires (because of e85 connectors and wires it can't properly close on it's own). Also added back the rear seats/bolsters/cards to attract less attention.

Thankz for the extra data points. From what I've read in this thread, you can pass smog with an aftermarket tune on an E46 M3 but NOT newer BMWs. Wonder if it's true that they're not checking CVN etc on these older cars.
                              Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Originally posted by EthanolTurbo View Post

Thankz for the extra data points. From what I've read in this thread, you can pass smog with an aftermarket tune on an E46 M3 but NOT newer BMWs. Wonder if it's true that they're not checking CVN etc on these older cars.
                                I keep hearing 08+ is where the real fun is.

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X