X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tnord View Post

Summary;

"It's so easy to fix, just throw $5k at the problem."

Yes, I was around M3F days, and registered on that site in 2010 when I bought the car. I'm not new to this platform, or to BMWs as I bought my first in 2003, and have owned 5 now. And yes, *we* have had it figured out how to make it not sound terrible. But you've gotta be fairly deep in the game to understand how to address the issue. The general "enthusiast public" just thinks its an awful sounding car. Matt should probably know better, as he's been around M cars for quite a while too, but whatever.

I'm interested to see where this car ends up, and will enjoy watching.
    Where did you get your $5,000 at? Do you live overseas? Here in America, it’s closer to $1,000.

And unless this is your first vehicle, no, you don’t have to be deep in the game. It’s common knowledge what adding cats further down the stream do, as well as what a resonator does. It’s exhaust 101.

Comment

$500 for sect 1, $2k+ for the airbox, and it's about another $2k for MAP conversion, tune, install, other misc bits.

doesn't even address sect 2, headers, cats, etc.

yes, you can weld in another resonator into sect 1 for a couple hundred bucks, but you had mentioned the airbox.

Comment

Summary;

"It's so easy to fix, just throw $5k at the problem."

Yes, I was around M3F days, and registered on that site in 2010 when I bought the car. I'm not new to this platform, or to BMWs as I bought my first in 2003, and have owned 5 now. And yes, *we* have had it figured out how to make it not sound terrible. But you've gotta be fairly deep in the game to understand how to address the issue. The general "enthusiast public" just thinks its an awful sounding car. Matt should probably know better, as he's been around M cars for quite a while too, but whatever.

I'm interested to see where this car ends up, and will enjoy watching.
        I mean, you can weld an AR20 into the stock section 1, non resonated pipe for $100 and call it good, if you don't change out any other components. Rasp fixed, standard I6 sound acquired, chain saw removed.

... once you do headers, then you start to need to spend to fix it.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
        2012 LMB/Black 128i
        2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

$500 for sect 1, $2k+ for the airbox, and it's about another $2k for MAP conversion, tune, install, other misc bits.

doesn't even address sect 2, headers, cats, etc.

yes, you can weld in another resonator into sect 1 for a couple hundred bucks, but you had mentioned the airbox.
          Stop. Put down the Red Bull or Black Rifle coffee.

We were discussing EXHAUST. Specifically, rasp.

Megan headers $400
          200 cell CC’s $300
          Labor to weld in $60
          Tune $350

If you live in soca, sale of your OE manifold is around $250-400. Call it $250. So you’re in under $1000 and if you wanted you could still purchase another resonator or find another stock s1 for next to nothing and weld that in as well. Again, all under $1000 or slightly over.

Airbox has minimal to zero effect on rasp.

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

I mean, you can weld an AR20 into the stock section 1, non resonated pipe for $100 and call it good, if you don't change out any other components. Rasp fixed, standard I6 sound acquired, chain saw removed.

... once you do headers, then you start to need to spend to fix it.
            Or this, which circles back to the RE s1 pipes that let you keep the OE headers and eliminated rasp.

Again, simple, cheap, and common knowledge of exhaust systems

Comment

Originally posted by yhp2009 View Post

Not want to own the car just over the sound? There are so many other traits of the car that supersede it for me. But yea its subjective
              Looks, performance, and sound are three key details car enthusiasts initially look for in a performance car. Look at the F8X and how many went back to the e92 m3 Bcs of sound

Comment

Originally posted by Toby22 View Post

Looks, performance, and sound are three key details car enthusiasts initially look for in a performance car. Look at the F8X and how many went back to the e92 m3 Bcs of sound
                Hmm, you still have the other 2 to fall back on tho. Personally i only care about the sound in the driver seat which is exceptional imo. Also I'd argue that people went back to e92 m3 because of its NA v8 properties as well

Comment

Originally posted by Chas3n View Post

Stop. Put down the Red Bull or Black Rifle coffee.

We were discussing EXHAUST. Specifically, rasp.

Megan headers $400
                  200 cell CC’s $300
                  Labor to weld in $60
                  Tune $350

If you live in soca, sale of your OE manifold is around $250-400. Call it $250. So you’re in under $1000 and if you wanted you could still purchase another resonator or find another stock s1 for next to nothing and weld that in as well. Again, all under $1000 or slightly over.

Airbox has minimal to zero effect on rasp.
                  I understand how it works. I was responding to a post that mentioned the airbox.

But I also acknowledge that many enthusiasts prefer a bit more volume than the stock exhaust offers, which complicates things and adds significant cost. I think you're also WAY discounting the costs of your items above. Quality parts and qualified labor is far more expensive than what you've provided.

butt-hurt nation really showing out in this thread because somebody said they didn't like their car in stock form. who cares.

Comment

You called it a kazoo tho. Thats straight up illegal bruh :P

Comment

There's also some need to differentiate sound in the car from sound outside the car. Bone stock, the car sounds pretty great inside the car-- it's only outside the car that the chainsaw happens.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                      2012 LMB/Black 128i
                      2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Had to skip around the video, He just has like no energy. But hey he got the whole forum to watch and talk about his video so its a win for him if we like it or not, and im sure you guys will be checking out his future vids to see what he has done.

Comment

I understand how it works. I was responding to a post that mentioned the airbox.

But I also acknowledge that many enthusiasts prefer a bit more volume than the stock exhaust offers, which complicates things and adds significant cost. I think you're also WAY discounting the costs of your items above. Quality parts and qualified labor is far more expensive than what you've provided.

butt-hurt nation really showing out in this thread because somebody said they didn't like their car in stock form. who cares.
                          Ahh so now you’ve decided to back peddle and insult. Seen that reply before.

Just so someone doesn’t get mis-Information, my above price break down is all quality. Perhaps another thread would be more beneficial to get into details.

Comment

Originally posted by yhp2009 View Post

Hmm, you still have the other 2 to fall back on tho. Personally i only care about the sound in the driver seat which is exceptional imo. Also I'd argue that people went back to e92 m3 because of its NA v8 properties as well
                            Which is sound primarily. High redline next. We know it wasn’t for the torque lol

Comment

And he’ll copy boring mods from forum members, who also copied from other forum members

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
                                There's also some need to differentiate sound in the car from sound outside the car. Bone stock, the car sounds pretty great inside the car-- it's only outside the car that the chainsaw happens.
                                Who doesnt like chainsaw? Sounds like high fives all around 😎

Comment

Working...
                                X