BlueBus: A fully integrated A2DP Bluetooth solution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cobra View Post
    This thing is awesome! I love how it seamlessly connects and just works. After figuring out which plugs to use, the install went pretty smooth.
    I concur. It's the best modification I've done by far. Thanks again, Ted!

Comment

Originally posted by cobra View Post
      This thing is awesome! I love how it seamlessly connects and just works. After figuring out which plugs to use, the install went pretty smooth. I mounted it where the old bluetooth module was, and zip-tied everything down so it wont rattle around.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bluebus.jpg
Views:	553
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	248668
      Originally posted by Will View Post

I concur. It's the best modification I've done by far. Thanks again, Ted!
      I'm super glad you guys are enjoying it!

-Ted

Comment

Hi Ted and BlueBus community,

I received my BlueBus 3 weeks ago and have been unable to install it as the weather went to pot. It is supposed to warm up this next few days and I was to take advantage of it to get the BB installed. I was stuck on planes yesterday for 12+ hours and I read through this entire thread from beginning to end and I have a few questions I think will be easy to answer for you (and possibly other informed posters). I apologize if your reaction to my Q's is something like "you read the entire thread and THESE are your questions!!!".

Car: 2008 Z4 3.0si Roadster w 48k miles
        Build date: 8/2008 (last one?)
        DSP with Carver
        Business CD, Phone Prep
        No CD Changer
        iPhone 15 max

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	89.2 KB ID:	251499

Questions:

1 - The sound is pretty good already through a cheap AUX line-in BT dongle and I looked behind the seats where I believe I found 4 speakers, 2 a side). Carver 10 speaker?
        2 - Is my car Analog or digital DSP? I have the DSP preset choices via the HU.
        3 - While my desire is to keep this install as simple as possible, the discussion of improved sound performance via a digital coax connection is VERY appealing. Does my set up allow for this the coax digital connection?
        4 - I intend to use the BB for phone. Remove the TCU altogether seems to be the preferred way to go?
        5 - I have watched videos on BB installation but have only found one on a Z4 Roadster and it was light on the wire locating portion (video highly sped up). Are the wires and components for my car to be found attached to the front trunk panel or over on the left side near the wheel well?
        6 - Will all of the needed connectors be near each other?
        7 - Given when I received my BB (and phone connector) what hardware and firmware versions?
        8 - Now that I have displayed my ignorance, what other questions SHOULD I have asked here? Educate me please.

I would love to hear from you Ted, but also others with their personal perspective on this setup as well.

Thanks!

Jim

Last edited by Aloyouis; 01-31-2024, 03:46 PM.

Comment

And to be honest, after re-reading my post above it is obvious to me I am asking a lot. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Jim

Comment

I sent an email to Ted as well as the above post. He answered almost immediately with the following including the pictures:

Lets see if I can knock out your questions --

1. Yes, Carver "HiFi Professional" system.
            2. Analog. They dropped digital in 2005.
            3. No, but it's not worth it on the E85/E86. I retrofit this input ONCE and it was a waste of time. If you had an E38/E39/E53 then I would encourage you to use the digital input as the difference is substantial. I believe they used a higher quality ADC on the LEAR-made E8x DSP amplifiers, which nullified the issue of audio performance via analog.
            4. Yep, remove the TCU.
            5. They will be found on the rear bulkhead. If you're looking at the bulkhead on the trunk side, you'll see a cutout near the trunk floor. The connectors for the CD Changer are usually tucked in there. The TCU is on the left side of the bulkhead. See the attached PDFs as well.
            6. Yes
            7. Hardware Version 2 and software version 1.3.4
            8. Honestly, I don't think you missed anything. The E85 is unfortunately of the harder vehicles to install the BlueBus in, but it's still not too bad, especially when you're armed with the knowledge that the connectors you want are probably hiding from you, as I noted in answer Groups

Thanks!
            -Ted​​

THANK YOU!

Questions:

1 - The sound is pretty good already through a cheap AUX line-in BT dongle and I looked behind the seats where I believe I found 4 speakers, 2 a side). Carver 10 speaker?
            2 - Is my car Analog or digital DSP? I have the DSP preset choices via the HU.
            3 - While my desire is to keep this install as simple as possible, the discussion of improved sound performance via a digital coax connection is VERY appealing. Does my set up allow for this the coax digital connection?
            4 - I intend to use the BB for phone. Remove the TCU altogether seems to be the preferred way to go?
            5 - I have watched videos on BB installation but have only found one on a Z4 Roadster and it was light on the wire locating portion (video highly sped up). Are the wires and components for my car to be found attached to the front trunk panel or over on the left side near the wheel well?
            6 - Will all of the needed connectors be near each other?
            7 - Given when I received my BB (and phone connector) what hardware and firmware versions?
            8 - Now that I have displayed my ignorance, what other questions SHOULD I have asked here? Educate me please.

I would love to hear from you Ted, but also others with their personal perspective on this setup as well.

Thanks!

Jim

Attached Files
            Last edited by Aloyouis; 02-01-2024, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Installed! Make sure when you plug in the connectors that you push them all the way in!

Works great! Now I just need to figure out the menu system. Success turning on the OT blinkers but not the locks...

Comment

Originally posted by Aloyouis View Post
                Installed! Make sure when you plug in the connectors that you push them all the way in!

Works great! Now I just need to figure out the menu system. Success turning on the OT blinkers but not the locks...
                The locks not working is my fault, no Ted's. My family has been going through a rough time so I've not had the freedom (nor really been in the right state of mind) to complete the feature.

From the BlueBus thread on M5Board:

I know this feature has been in the pipeline for a while, but I've needed to prioritise family in the last year or two.

While it's a reasonably straight forward feature, it requires a good deal of due diligence, as issuing the wrong diagnostic command can be potentially hazardous. This became apparent when developing comfort blinkers, as the command to activate the blinker in one vehicle would activate high beams in another. As you can imagine, unwittingly blinding oncoming traffic is, er..., suboptimal, to say the least!

However, unlike the light modules- which are reasonably straight forward with only eight variants, the central body electronics (ZKE) encapsulates over twenty module variants between three buses (K-Bus, I-Bus, and P-Bus). I've already experienced the pitfalls of this complexity when during testing I managed to double lock/arrest the doors (as you would when leaving the car), but.... the key was still in the ignition. Needless to say, I've gotten used to entering/exiting the car via the boot which now remains ajar during development Click image for larger version

Name:	dataurl611362.gif
Views:	331
Size:	43 Bytes
ID:	252387

Anywho, the feature is largely completed, but you'll have to bear with me. I'll get there!
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Aloyouis View Post
                  7. Hardware Version 2 and software version 1.3.4
                  Hi t3ddftw, has version 1.3.4 been released officially?

I’m still running 1.3.0 and was wondering if it’s worth upgrading my HW version 1 device to this new FW version.

Thanks!
                  2003 Stahlblau E46 320d Touring – 6MT
                  2001 Topasblau E39 530i – 5MT

Comment

Originally posted by Der_Spanier View Post
                    Hi t3ddftw, has version 1.3.4 been released officially?

I’m still running 1.3.0 and was wondering if it’s worth upgrading my HW version 1 device to this new FW version.

Thanks!
                    It has not been released officially -- there are some changes that are needing to be integrated before I do that -- https://github.com/tedsalmon/BlueBus/pull/190

Comment

Wondering if anyone can help me figure out how to get Bluebus to work. I have a Business CD Comp Pack (so no steering wheel buttons) and no CD changer. The green light comes on but the head unit is not cycling to the Bluebus. Tried updating the firmware but the software says “not connected”. It seems to have power so not sure what’s going on. Pic for reference:

Name:	IMG_0713.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	211.6 KB
ID:	257386

Comment

Originally posted by arg617 View Post
                        Wondering if anyone can help me figure out how to get Bluebus to work. I have a Business CD Comp Pack (so no steering wheel buttons) and no CD changer. The green light comes on but the head unit is not cycling to the Bluebus. Tried updating the firmware but the software says “not connected”. It seems to have power so not sure what’s going on. Pic for reference:

Name:	IMG_0713.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	211.6 KB
ID:	257386
                        If this is the first time you connect it, just take the key out of the ignition, close the doors and try again in 5 minutes.

Thanks!
                        -Ted

Comment

If this is the first time you connect it, just take the key out of the ignition, close the doors and try again in 5 minutes.
                          Thanks Ted. That seemed to help get it to connect to my iPhone and to the head unit, but something weird is happening with sound. The display shows the correct track but nothing is audible unless I turn the sound way up, and then it's just static from what seems to be AM or FM (not the track shown on the display). Also still not able to to connect to the Firmware Tool (still says "Not Connected"). Will have to try to troubleshoot some more tomorrow......

Comment

Originally posted by arg617 View Post

Thanks Ted. That seemed to help get it to connect to my iPhone and to the head unit, but something weird is happening with sound. The display shows the correct track but nothing is audible unless I turn the sound way up, and then it's just static from what seems to be AM or FM (not the track shown on the display). Also still not able to to connect to the Firmware Tool (still says "Not Connected"). Will have to try to troubleshoot some more tomorrow......
                            More than likely, the audio connector from the BlueBus to the back of the radio isn’t connected or fully seated at the back of the radio. Do you have a 30-pin iPod connector in the glovebox?

With regards to the firmware tool, you’re likely missing the driver or using a cable that is not data capable.

This might be easier if you email me — support@bluebus.dev

-Ted

Comment

Hi !
                              @t3ddftw​ can you remind me the componant that have to be replaced to fix cold temp bluetooth boot issues ?
                              I will try to replace it myself.

Did you have a look at PDC issue I reported last time with sound control with rear gear (because of front PDC still active until 20/30km/h forward) ?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Orphee View Post
                                Hi !
                                @t3ddftw​ can you remind me the componant that have to be replaced to fix cold temp bluetooth boot issues ?
                                I will try to replace it myself.

Did you have a look at PDC issue I reported last time with sound control with rear gear (because of front PDC still active until 20/30km/h forward) ?

Thanks
                                It's not a component that needs to be replaced -- I cut a trace on the PCB, then I remove C21, R19 and R20 and install a modboard I designed in that area with some solder bridges that connect it to the BC127. The end effect is that the power sequence is different and thus there are no longer any issues with the cold.

I have not gotten a chance to look at the PDC issue -- I honestly forgot since I don't have a car with PDC

-Ted

Comment

Working...
                                X