BlueBus: A fully integrated A2DP Bluetooth solution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by maupineda View Post

i dont see really the concern and push back , all this would be doing is unlock the hatch, not release it. Is a mood point to have the feature for the doors only, then you get off the car to take something out of the trunk justo to find out is locked, go back to the car, and click the center locking switch.

This partially defeats the benefit of the unlocking
    Different use cases -- I just don't want to have to pull the door handle twice, and it's instinct to take the keys with me . From a security perspective, I (personally) don't want to have the car automatically unlock all the doors all of the time.

I'm not saying I won't do it, I'm just saying that I would like to put some thought into how I want to execute it. I will likely split auto unlock into:

Unlock:
    * Doors - Only unlock the doors that were opened since the car was woken up
    * All - Unlock Everything

Unlock On:
    * Ignition Pos 1 - Engine Off
    * Ingition Pos 0 - Key Pulled Out

Originally posted by Orphee View Post
    One day i'll have E39 angel eyes as DRL
    One day! Everyone keeps asking about Angel Eyes for the E39, so it's probably be in 1.1.18 provided I can make it work reliably.

Originally posted by dog2bert View Post
    Having an issue where I can't switch back to FM. Any tips?
    Non-Nav I assume? Hit the "2" button before you hit "MODE" to shut off metadata scrolling, which is likely what's locking you in Bluetooth mode.

-Ted

Comment

Im really thinking about getting one for my e39 m5. with the m3 im ok, but tempting for the m5. Hmmmmm

Comment

Originally posted by bjz! View Post
        Im really thinking about getting one for my e39 m5. with the m3 im ok, but tempting for the m5. Hmmmmm
        Not to undersell the audio quality in the E46, because I personally think that the OE system has never sounded better, but the M5 will have a DSP Amplifier which means you can use "digital" audio input which sounds phenomenal.

I'm obviously incredibly biased, but I don't think I could ever drive an E3x/E46/E53/E8x car without a BlueBus again.

-Ted

Comment

Originally posted by t3ddftw View Post

Not to undersell the audio quality in the E46, because I personally think that the OE system has never sounded better, but the M5 will have a DSP Amplifier which means you can use "digital" audio input which sounds phenomenal.

I'm obviously incredibly biased, but I don't think I could ever drive an E3x/E46/E53/E8x car without a BlueBus again.

-Ted
          I second this statement having both an e46 M3 and e39 M5. The digital audio coming from the Bluebus in the M5 is amazing. Don’t hesitate to buy one for the M5 and definitely upgrade and buy the coax cable.
          2005 BMW M3 ZCP Black/Black - HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | 288/280 Schrick Cams+DLC Followers | Lang Head | Dinan TBs | Bosch 550cc | Radium Fuel System | Karbonious CSL Airbox+OE Snorkel | SS V1 Stepped+Catted Sec 1+Resonated Twin Pipe+Race | 3.91, 3 stage clutch | FCM 400/600 | Vorshlag Camber Plates, RSM | Rogue ASP | AKG FCABs, SFBs | TMS Front Sway, Camber Arms, Monoball RTABs, Pullies | Mason Race Strut + X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | SPAL | Redish Plates | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Rod Bearings

Comment

-Ted
            I concur. Single best mod, imo. Sound quality is significantly improved, even with stock amps and speakers.

Thanks again for your hard work developing this, Ted.

Comment

Hey Ted I don't know if this has been touched on before but I tried to receive a phone call today for the first time on the Bluebus and the volume for the phone call was so quiet I couldn't really hear the other side at all.

Comment

Originally posted by ejendow View Post
                Hey Ted I don't know if this has been touched on before but I tried to receive a phone call today for the first time on the Bluebus and the volume for the phone call was so quiet I couldn't really hear the other side at all.
                Did you make sure the call volume on your phone was on max? That's gonna make a huge difference. Also, make sure you turn the volume up on the headunit.

Thanks!
                -Ted

Comment

Did you make sure the call volume on your phone was on max? That's gonna make a huge difference. Also, make sure you turn the volume up on the headunit.

Thanks!
                  -Ted
                  I didn't try that! Next time I get a call I'll see if that fixes the problem, thank you

Comment

-Ted
                    Exists a discount for forum members?

Comment

Does anyone have the part number, or can take a quick picture of the 6 pin TCU I/O pin connector?

I'd like to get my phone up and running and am comfortable doing the de-pinning exercise: https://github.com/tedsalmon/BlueBus...-TCU-connector

TE make a lot of connectors. On the board side it just says "AMP".

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6329.jpeg
Views:	699
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	81069

Comment

Originally posted by WALoeIII View Post
                        Does anyone have the part number, or can take a quick picture of the 6 pin TCU I/O pin connector?

I'd like to get my phone up and running and am comfortable doing the de-pinning exercise: https://github.com/tedsalmon/BlueBus...-TCU-connector

TE make a lot of connectors. On the board side it just says "AMP".
                        Here's what Ted shared with me when I posed the same question via email:

The TCU header is a different family than what the car uses so the terminals are not interchangeable (car uses TE MQS and the TCU header is TE AMPMODIV). The reason is that the only 6 pin connector available in the MQS family was literally the same one as the 6 pin analog audio connector, so I couldn't use it as it would create massive confusion.

For de-pinning, I supply the MQS 6-pin that is used for the 6 pin analog audio connector, since it just so happens to mate into the TCU connector (its part number is TE 185311-1). The ACTUAL housing is TE 87977-1

Does that make things UNclear enough?

LOL - I didn't catch the nuance, if there was one. I bought the 185311-1 and it worked well enough.

Last edited by jbfrancis3; 01-24-2021, 05:35 PM.
                        '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

Hi all. Just picked up an E83 X3 for my son, and it has the hifi DSP stereo and bluetooth. Just like my E46 M3, the stock bluetooth system just doesn't seem to be compatible with modern phones and/or doesn't connect consistently, so I was happy to see the BlueBus was compatible. Will be nice to just stick with the overall stock system as it has the flip up Nav screen and I love what the BlueBus can do with the stock Nav unit. If I hadn't already "upgraded" my M3 to an Android Xtron unit (looks almost stock) I would have bought this earlier last year when it was just being started out.

Below are the CD changer cables I found. Do I also need to pick up the light blue connector from the bluetooth module with the adapter cable to use the built-in telephone wiring? Is the adapter cable included?

Referencing my pictures, connectors B and C seem to match what I've seen for power and iBus connectivity. Connector A...is that the digital connection? Can I use that as-is with the BlueBus? The digital coax connector I saw in an E39 M5 installation video looked different, and doesn't seem like this connector would fit in the BlueBus. As for Connector D, not sure what that is for.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210124_101430.jpg Views:	0 Size:	133.6 KB ID:	81263
                          Last edited by JamesSJ1; 01-25-2021, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesSJ1 View Post
                            Hi all. Just picked up an E83 X3 for my son, and it has the hifi DSP stereo and bluetooth. Just like my E46 M3, the stock bluetooth system just doesn't seem to be compatible with modern phones and/or doesn't connect consistently, so I was happy to see the BlueBus was compatible. Will be nice to just stick with the overall stock system as it has the flip up Nav screen and I love what the BlueBus can do with the stock Nav unit. If I hadn't already "upgraded" my M3 to an Android Xtron unit (looks almost stock) I would have bought this earlier last year when it was just being started out.

Below are the CD changer cables I found. Do I also need to pick up the light blue connector from the bluetooth module with the adapter cable to use the built-in telephone wiring? Is the adapter cable included?

Referencing my pictures, connectors B and C seem to match what I've seen for power and iBus connectivity. Connector A...is that the digital connection? Can I use that as-is with the BlueBus? The digital coax connector I saw in an E39 M5 installation video looked different, and doesn't seem like this connector would fit in the BlueBus. As for Connector D, not sure what that is for.

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_20210124_101430.jpg Views:	0 Size:	133.6 KB ID:	81263
                            James,

Few things going on --

1. E8x vehicles will always use the black 54-pin adapter. The E8x were never offered with SES (blue) pre-wiring because BMW had already rolled that functionality into the latest stock "Everest" TCU (the one your car came with).
                            2. E8x vehicles with the DSP amplifier cannot make use of the digital output from the BlueBus without modification. Though it's still possible to make it work, the DSP must be dismantled and the SMB coax connector must be soldered onto the existing footprint on the PCB. Thankfully, the casement has a cutout, so that's the bulk of the work.
                            3. Most E83s (and not other E8x cars that I know of) came pre-wired for Sirius, which is the 14 pin connector in your picture. This usually means you'll need to muck with the radio wiring and "swap" the white connector on the radios quadlock from the "CDC" one to the other one floating about. The E83s CD Changer (CDC) location is in the center console, not in the trunk, so they had to add extra wiring to support the Sirius.

Thanks!
                            -Ted

Comment

James,

Few things going on --

1. E8x vehicles will always use the black 54-pin adapter. The E8x were never offered with SES (blue) pre-wiring because BMW had already rolled that functionality into the latest stock "Everest" TCU (the one your car came with).
                              2. E8x vehicles with the DSP amplifier cannot make use of the digital output from the BlueBus without modification. Though it's still possible to make it work, the DSP must be dismantled and the SMB coax connector must be soldered onto the existing footprint on the PCB. Thankfully, the casement has a cutout, so that's the bulk of the work.
                              3. Most E83s (and not other E8x cars that I know of) came pre-wired for Sirius, which is the 14 pin connector in your picture. This usually means you'll need to muck with the radio wiring and "swap" the white connector on the radios quadlock from the "CDC" one to the other one floating about. The E83s CD Changer (CDC) location is in the center console, not in the trunk, so they had to add extra wiring to support the Sirius.

Thanks!
                              -Ted
                              So assuming I want the "easy" version and not the best version, what am I looking at? a) pull the radio of the dash and move the white wire, then b) use the black 54-pin adapter and the 3-wire power connection? I'm prepared to video/write-up the E83 installation, but I've had my share of radio projects and don't want to invest much beyond some time and BlueBus money on this one. Much more than a BlueBus in cost and I can buy an Android unit and iDrive style controller for the E83.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesSJ1 View Post

So assuming I want the "easy" version and not the best version, what am I looking at? a) pull the radio of the dash and move the white wire, then b) use the black 54-pin adapter and the 3-wire power connection? I'm prepared to video/write-up the E83 installation, but I've had my share of radio projects and don't want to invest much beyond some time and BlueBus money on this one. Much more than a BlueBus in cost and I can buy an Android unit and iDrive style controller for the E83.
                                For A, refer to: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/82...?page=4#manual (4th picture). You'd want to swap in the white connector labeled "CD-SDARS".

For B, the 54-pin connector you want is currently attached to the factory Bluetooth. It should be a fairly quick install, though certainly more involved than the E39 and E46.

Thanks!
                                -Ted

Comment

Working...
                                X