Ohlins R&T Spring/Sway Choice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by repoman89 View Post

I have this exact setup. 325 lb/in 7.5” length / 2.5” diameter front springs with the TMS street plates and their spring mount. 13.7/13.2” F/R ride height, corner balanced last spring and tracked a handful of times since then.

I think the springs are Vogtlands … German brand, found on ebay. Their specs suggest they have plenty of travel to avoid spring bind
    Which front sway bar are you running?

Comment

CSL front, stock rear.

Comment

Originally posted by repoman89 View Post
        I have this exact setup. 325 lb/in 7.5” length / 2.5” diameter front springs with the TMS street plates and their spring mount. 13.7/13.2” F/R ride height, corner balanced last spring and tracked a handful of times since then.

I think the springs are Vogtlands … German brand, found on ebay. Their specs suggest they have plenty of travel to avoid spring bind​
        Would you have a link for the springs? I think I have to convert the measurements to find them.

Comment

I ordered my R&T kit with 336 lb/in Swift springs from 3DM. I believe they’re 7”, but I’ll have to check my notes to confirm.

Also, what length endlinks do y’all run? Barry said stock endlinks are fine, so I just wanna confirm that stock length adjustable endlinks should be fine. Hotchkis sway bar fwiw.
          Silver Track to Street Car Journal
          Interlagos Blue Street Car Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post

Would you have a link for the springs? I think I have to convert the measurements to find them.
            Here is the catalog that they appear in — part number 0325.250.0750. I didn’t look too hard but didn’t see them on eBay anymore. Travel specs included in the catalog as well, looks like close to 5” which is solidly over the travel range of the Ohlins shocks.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ13 View Post
              I ordered my R&T kit with 336 lb/in Swift springs from 3DM. I believe they’re 7”, but I’ll have to check my notes to confirm.

Also, what length endlinks do y’all run? Barry said stock endlinks are fine, so I just wanna confirm that stock length adjustable endlinks should be fine. Hotchkis sway bar fwiw.
              Which camber plates are you using? If you could check the length, that would be great.

The Ohlins retain the stock endlink mounting height, so stock endlinks should be fine unless you want to dial out preload with a TMS endlink.

Comment

I ordered my R&T kit with 336 lb/in Swift springs from 3DM. I believe they're 7”, but I'll have to check my notes to confirm.

Also, what length endlinks do y'all run? Barry said stock endlinks are fine, so I just wanna confirm that stock length adjustable endlinks should be fine. Hotchkis sway bar fwiw.
                I just wish Barry would respond so I could give him some money…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post

Which camber plates are you using? If you could check the length, that would be great.

The Ohlins retain the stock endlink mounting height, so stock endlinks should be fine unless you want to dial out preload with a TMS endlink.
                  They’re still on order, but I’ll follow up with you with an exact part number after I receive and install them. The springs are 178mm long, which I’m hoping will get me to 13.5” up front. Ohlins (Vorshlag) camber plates, 3DM spacers, and I think Barry also uses a spacer on the camber plates as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

Anyone know what the PSS10 spring rates are?

PSS10 are progressive rates of 340/565

Comment

They’re still on order, but I’ll follow up with you with an exact part number after I receive and install them. The springs are 178mm long, which I’m hoping will get me to 13.5” up front. Ohlins (Vorshlag) camber plates, 3DM spacers, and I think Barry also uses a spacer on the camber plates as well.
                      Swift PN: Z65-178-060 (7”, 65 mm, 336 lb/in). These do not get me to 13.5” with the lower spring perch on max height and the parts listed above (plus OE strut tower reinforcements). The car is sitting at about 13.25”. FYI, this is the Track Day kit that 3DM sells, with custom spec front Swift springs instead of the stock Ohlins 400 lb/in springs.

To get to at least 13.5”, I think I have two options:
                      1) Use a Hyperco CS100 helper spring to act as a 0.5” spacer and use the Swift springs that I currently have.
                      2) Swap to a 7.87”, 343 lb/in spring.

I’m leaning towards getting the 7.87” springs.

Slideways

Edit: Ordered 8” 336 lb/in Swift springs since the 7.87” Ohlins springs were out of stock. Will update with results soon.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DDD1E23C-08D0-4573-B023-C94647896553.jpg Views:	60 Size:	316.6 KB ID:	216251
                      Last edited by SQ13; 05-09-2023, 08:36 AM.

Comment

Longer springs, if you can fit them, will always be the better option, since they will probably have more travel before coilbind. Use my calculator to estimate how close you are: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...845#post215845

If your springs are fine and you just ran out of preload adjuster, then put a 1/2" spacer in there. A helper spring is only needed if the spring is going to rattle around at full droop due to having 'negative' preload.

Comment

I tried running 336# spring in 7" length with GC street plates and 3dm spacers and I did not get the car to 13.5, it was barely above 13.25 and on large bumps tire would rub the liner. 8" 325 or 336 spring would work.

I ended up running 350 7" front and I'm kinda "stuck" with this for now (absolutely don't mind it) because the car is corner balanced (i.e. $). I ended up getting GC adj swaybar links and running Vorshlag plates and RSM.

Between Turner and Hotchkis swaybar... when I switched to Hotchkis (hollow less resistant bar) from Turner (solid more resistant bar) with my setup and alignment made the car too tail happy. Turner on medium controlled xfer more than Hotchkis on stiff. So you can make alignment adjustments to account for that via toe or camber, assuming you don't want to keep hunting for spring rates.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

I wanted to get input from you all after reading through this thread (tons of helpful information!)

Are the Ohlins Strut Spacers necessary? I guess reading through this all has me second guessing whether I should just buy the kit from FCP (when back in stock) or get some diff springs specc'd.

My setup was/is going to be below:
                            • Ohlins R&T MI30S1
                            • Ground Control Street Camber Plates
                            • Meyle HD RSM
                            • Hotchkiss Front Sway Bar (will be set to the medium setting)
                            • Turner Front Adjustable End Links
                            • Bimmerworld adjustable camber arms (rear)

Also is this the spacer kit that's being referred to? https://3dmmotorsport.com/products/b...rut-spacer-kit

Comment

Originally posted by killa_e46 View Post
                              I wanted to get input from you all after reading through this thread (tons of helpful information!)

Are the Ohlins Strut Spacers necessary? I guess reading through this all has me second guessing whether I should just buy the kit from FCP (when back in stock) or get some diff springs specc'd.

My setup was/is going to be below:
                              • Ohlins R&T MI30S1
                              • Ground Control Street Camber Plates
                              • Meyle HD RSM
                              • Hotchkiss Front Sway Bar (will be set to the medium setting)
                              • Turner Front Adjustable End Links
                              • Bimmerworld adjustable camber arms (rear)

Also is this the spacer kit that's being referred to? https://3dmmotorsport.com/products/b...rut-spacer-kit
                              Yes, spacers are necessary, otherwise your car will sit too low. A longer spring won’t help—your limiting factor here is the length of the strut.

If you have any interest in running a flat ride setup, you might as well go thru 3DM and spec custom spring rates at no extra charge. They also preassemble the kit, which saves you some time. They should be able to sell you the TrackDay kit with the Meyle RSMs and let you send in the GC camber plates…obviously in this case they’ll subtract the cost of the included Vorshlag camber plates from the kit. Also, if the Ohlins sale is still going on, he may be willing to price match the cost of the R&T kit.

I’m installing 8” 336 lb/in Swift springs this weekend and will follow up, since the 7” 336 lb/in springs have me sitting too low.
                              Last edited by SQ13; 05-09-2023, 08:33 AM.

Comment

I’m installing 8” 336 lb/in Swift springs this weekend and will follow up, since the 7” 336 lb/in springs have me sitting too low.
                                Really?? Even with the perch moved up near the top. I'm surprised.
                                DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                                /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                                More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Working...
                                X