What about the E46M does it for you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chilone View Post

How many times have you done any or all of the big 3? 300k is awesome!
    300,000 combined e46 M3 miles, over 3 e46 M3s. I'm only at 205,000 on the wagon and 160,000 on the coupe.

But, of the big 3-- subframe and vanos (other than seals) only need to be done once, and then they're dealt with forever

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

About to hit the 170k mile mark on mine in 5 minutes, but even after experiencing many cars during my E46 M ownership, it's the only car I've driven on track that's given me a "moment" of emotion. Maybe it's because of our long history together, and how it's been progressively out-gunned by newer cars throughout the years, but she still holds her own through perfect balance, grip and communication at the limit. It's just so damned good!

Another favorite reason is that it's the most versatile car I've owned. Back in 2016 I removed a lot of its daily usability by removing the sunroof, back seats, and installed solid bushings. a Kirk roll bar, and Recaro buckets. I still daily drive it as it is today, but I'm thinking it's time to revert back to a more streetable spec so I can share it with my pups and wife more. Give it a good retirement plan I guess.

Comment

Best looks. Always double take waking away.

Incredible duality, it's a daily for me in the summer. Silbergrau gets zero looks, or maybe I don't notice them. With satin black rims and yellow calipers it attracts the attention from enthusiasts, of all shapes and sizes. And tbh I like the incognito mode. E88S and CF roof might attract more enthusiasts but maybe more purists as well.

The way this thing feels at all speeds and rpm ranges, whether you're lugging around town or race track. It's honestly a joy.

I've done a lot of work on my own, learned a lot. Made some really good friends along the way. Huge confidence builder in that sense. Always told myself when I get my first car I'll do the work, well what better way than to wrench on the goat.

The induction noise, second to none. It's weird when you get you're dream car, coming from a point of scarcity to owning it is eye opening. I love it. Honeymoon ain't over yet (ever).
        2006 Silber Grau Metalizat ZCP 6 MT M-texture (F2AT) - Turner CSL V2/Schrick 280 272/SSv1/SS Sec1/Sec2 dual res/SCZA TI (raw) - FatCat stage 3 ult 400f/784r - EC7r 18x9.5 ET35/CRS 275/35/18 - RacingBrake BBK/MileEnd CSL bumper/Vorsteiner Trunk/Cobra Nogaro Circuit Mtexture/GC RCA/YURKan Cages/Hotchkiss/Vibra-technics/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/htrlo/

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
          Why is that not believable? Do you think we actually raced and he beat me? lol
          Yah I got solicited by a few trucks. It was close off the line at least.

Tbonem3 granny shifts instead of double clutching like he should, 100% he lost.
          2006 Silber Grau Metalizat ZCP 6 MT M-texture (F2AT) - Turner CSL V2/Schrick 280 272/SSv1/SS Sec1/Sec2 dual res/SCZA TI (raw) - FatCat stage 3 ult 400f/784r - EC7r 18x9.5 ET35/CRS 275/35/18 - RacingBrake BBK/MileEnd CSL bumper/Vorsteiner Trunk/Cobra Nogaro Circuit Mtexture/GC RCA/YURKan Cages/Hotchkiss/Vibra-technics/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/htrlo/

Comment

For me, the E46M is a lot more than just an excellent driving experience:
            - Double take in the parking lot every single time
            - Admire all the body lines even when parked in the garage
            - Thoroughly enjoy overall driving feel with medium speed backroads cruising
            - Wonderfully stable highway cruising
            - Speed, power, and handling have remained relevant for public roads use regardless of any modern cars that exist, and overall feedback/driving/steering feel is better than almost anything 2015 or newer that I’ve driven
            - Easily modded it to the point where I get just the right NVH to balance with feel, as I despise anything that drives like a sensory depravation tank (I’m looking at you, mom’s old 1994 Lincoln Continental…)
            - Oddly, enjoy packing tons of stuff into the car and seeing just how much fits (if I’m out running errands, helping someone move, etc.)
            - Super satisfying to detail
            - Introducing CSL style airbox, followed by 6MT swap, made it feel like a brand new car driving experience again (though there’s no other major mod I care to do at this point
            - Shared interest with friends in the incredibly knowledgeable community
            - A pleasant, understated, timeless place to be on every trip
            - Recent addition of classic plates and the strong market make it feel as though I didn’t waste my money 7 years ago, even if I never want to sell it
            - Strong aftermarket support (including software!) after this many years seems impossibly good
            - Always fun with someone recognizes it and wants to chat (well, almost always…)
            E46 M3 Coupe - 09/04 Production, 103k miles, Black/Black, 6MT swap, AS 0% kit, BBS RG-R + AS4’s, CSL flash, Karbonius airbox, Euro header + Section 1, Koni Yellow, Xtrons, SAP Delete, lockdowns complete

Comment

Originally posted by maw1124 View Post

Yeah... I get this in my S55 a lot by idiots in Hellcats... I'm like "ok let's assume yours is faster... I'll still take mine"... as I pull off from the light like the old man I am... got no time for that shit.

maw
              Anytime I drive through Hollywood, every douchebag in the whole universe wants to race. Chrysler products and AMGs are the worst offenders by far.
              http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
              '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
              '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post

Anytime I drive through Hollywood, every douchebag in the whole universe wants to race. Chrysler products and AMGs are the worst offenders by far.
                Going to have to test this theory and pull up to them at the next red light like

2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

Of all my cars, I strangely get the most thumbs up/comments/etc in the M3 wagon. This weirds me out, because there's no visual indication it's not a standard 3 series wagon (other than being badged 332i, but you have to be pretty deep in to get that) with the M sport/ZHP body work and some 17" RG-Rs. That thing is absurdly attention getting, everywhere I go.

... reminds me that I need to set some time aside to get the M3 mirrors mounted up on it
                  People not so secretly love wagons. I've been driving M-Sport F31s daily for 7 years and the level of interest is pretty shocking. The first one was a bone stock Estoril diesel and the current one is an Alpine White gasser lowered with Eibachs/Konis and spacers. Stock looking otherwise. The white one gets a lot more attn.
                  2005 M3 - SGM, 6MT, Impuls Cloth, Slicktop
                  2022 M3 - BRG, Tartufo, xDrive​

Comment

I've had mine for 3-4 years and after taking care of the big 3, I might have went too far and done a 4.10 final drive, TCKline coils, and some recaros. I've tracked it twice and it was great out there but on the street it's kind of a pain now and I end up driving my E39 M5 (which is great but different) like 90% of the time. I think the answer is I just need to get back out to the track.
                    01 M5 Dinan S-2 ish
                    03 M3 Dinan S-2 ish

Comment

I just drove a friends well setup e92 m3 (kw clubsports, SPL arms) 1.5 hrs to the track, in traffic and took it drifting on the skid pad. After all the driving, it surprisingly made me appreciate the e46 m3 even more. Don't get me wrong, the car was great. The power and induction noise of the s65 is really what makes the e9x great along with it's nice balance. It's definitely more refined, even as a pretty track focused setup. It was surprisingly easy to drive and very daily drive-able. Even more refined than the e46 m3. Even though it's not much heavier than the e46, you can really feel the difference in the e46 eagerness to rotate and play around with the driver. I've been tossing the idea of having an e90 sedan which is my other favorite car. But the e46 m3 checks more boxes in terms of driver satisfaction for me. I wasn't expecting this but after all the work I've done on my e46 (Ohlins, 3.91 diff, rebuilt engine), it's not too far from the performance of the e9x m3. I do like how good the oem stereo system is on the e9x m3. Sounds so much better. lol

Comment

Beyond the obvious outright ways it performs, its 'freude am fahren' manages to make old school analog feel still seem relevant vs. modern technology. The throttle response ruins everything else short of GT Porsche and N/A Ferrari and the tail-happy nature of the chassis makes it more fun to hoon than 'better' cars that are too locked down in the sake of 'ring times. Power delivery keeps it exciting despite being underpowered by modern standards. Sane speeds are still very engaging but a limit is accessible on a daily basis that most supercar owners would either be afraid to attempt or surprised you did. It's a quarter of the cost of any viable substitute, and infinitely less expensive to maintain. Reliability after the big 3 is fantastic for what is very much a watered-down racecar for the street. Mods are abundant and effective. The looks are timeless and it continues to get increasngly unanimous praise from enthusiasts of all genres no matter where it goes and yet it keeps the wrong kind of attention to a minimum.

Is it the best car ever? No, but it's peak BMW and the fact it carries such a direct & mechanical lineage to 30 years worth of the greatest M cars makes it such a cohesive car that it really eliminates the need to own anything else from a marque that no longer exists in the way we originally fell in love with it. And for me it represents a period of my life where I learned how to work on cars, made incredible friendships, created valuable memories, and embodies the passion from everything I learned & experienced within.
                        Last edited by jvit27; 10-01-2021, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Well put. I was just talking with my friend the other day about how the car makes older cars irrelevant (almost, nostalgia is strong). It's the pinnacle. Combine that with affordable entry and ownership costs, it's a homerun.
                          Last edited by Tbonem3; 09-29-2021, 10:50 AM.
                          DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                          /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                          More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

The feeling of of passing a 500+ horsepower car in the turns at 7,000 RPM and knowing the car is fighting for you. Priceless.
                            2006 ///M3 6MT Coupe Jet Black Track Car
                            [Karbonius] [MCS 2WNR] [Zionsville] [ [SPAL] [Ground Control] [Beisan] [Rogue Engineering] [Vorshlag] [Redish] [CMP] [Bimmerworld] [Kassel] [TTFS] [Apex] [TMS Sways] [Buildjournal] [Radium] [Ultimate Pedals] [OMP Seats/Harnesses] [UUC SSK] [Custom Cage] [Supersprint] [Carbontastic] [MEC CSL Diffuser] [Trackspec] [Street Faction] [Condor] [Hard Motorsports] [AiM] [Maintenance] [Ask me about products and exact weight of front end components]

Comment

Originally posted by enjoy_m3 View Post
                              I just drove a friends well setup e92 m3 (kw clubsports, SPL arms) 1.5 hrs to the track, in traffic and took it drifting on the skid pad. After all the driving, it surprisingly made me appreciate the e46 m3 even more. Don't get me wrong, the car was great. The power and induction noise of the s65 is really what makes the e9x great along with it's nice balance. It's definitely more refined, even as a pretty track focused setup. It was surprisingly easy to drive and very daily drive-able. Even more refined than the e46 m3. Even though it's not much heavier than the e46, you can really feel the difference in the e46 eagerness to rotate and play around with the driver. I've been tossing the idea of having an e90 sedan which is my other favorite car. But the e46 m3 checks more boxes in terms of driver satisfaction for me. I wasn't expecting this but after all the work I've done on my e46 (Ohlins, 3.91 diff, rebuilt engine), it's not too far from the performance of the e9x m3. I do like how good the oem stereo system is on the e9x m3. Sounds so much better. lol
                              The e92 does feel heavy compared to the e46, the e46 is allot more playful and the throttle response feels quicker, but mine is supercharged so my car is way quicker than a stocke90x.

Comment

Originally posted by jvit27 View Post
                                Beyond the obvious outright ways it performs, it's 'freude am fahren' manages to make old school analog feel still seem relevant vs. modern technology. The throttle response ruins everything else short of GT Porsche and N/A Ferrari and the tail-happy nature of the chassis makes it more fun to hoon than 'better' cars that are too locked down in the sake of 'ring times. Power delivery keeps it exciting despite being underpowered by modern standards. Sane speeds are still very engaging but a limit is accessible on a daily basis that most supercar owners would either be afraid to attempt or surprised you did. It's a quarter of the cost of any viable substitute, and infinitely less expensive to maintain. Reliability after the big 3 is fantastic for what is very much a watered-down racecar for the street. Mods are abundant and effective. The looks are timeless and it continues to get increasngly unanimous praise from enthusiasts of all genres no matter where it goes and yet it keeps the wrong kind of attention to a minimum.

Is it the best car ever? No, but it's peak BMW and the fact it carries such a direct & mechanical lineage to 30 years worth of the greatest M cars makes it such a cohesive car that it really eliminates the need to own anything else from a marque that no longer exists in the way we originally fell in love with it. And for me it represents a period of my life where I learned how to work on cars, made incredible friendships, created valuable memories, and embodies the passion from everything I learned & experienced within.
                                Damn brother. You nailed it. That was awesome.

Comment

Working...
                                X