No announcement yet.

Head unit upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

from personal experience with different cars, YES! have to find out for this car though, but pretty sure it will work just like other cars that i did.

Originally posted by scubastove View Post

Will these still work as a trunk handle? ie will it still pop the trunk when I click the handle?

Comment

Another option, although not an OEM look:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1716.JPG
Views:	676
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	21642
      Old, not obsolete.

Comment

Unfortunately he doesn't make them anymore. At least the last time I looked. Interesting idea, though.

Working on my own version now. Already have it in my Tundra.

Mike
        02 M3 Titanium Silver/Black
        11 Tundra SuperWhite/Black
        16 X5

Comment

Selling my Avin 4 with wired carplay for $200 in case anyone was interested in an OEM look but wants it cheap! 1 year old still runs perfectly: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/c...-carplay-wired

Comment

Originally posted by nuc1 View Post
            Unfortunately he doesn't make them anymore. At least the last time I looked. Interesting idea, though.

Working on my own version now. Already have it in my Tundra.

Mike
            Please mold them in black and consider a more reliable retention method than the magnets he used.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Jesse

Old, not obsolete.

Comment

Originally posted by D-O View Post

Please mold them in black and consider a more reliable retention method than the magnets he used.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Jesse
              Not able to do any type of molding. Bought a double DIN holder for e46 and an iPad mini holder from Fifield Productions. Lots of plastic body filler, some CA glue plus lots of sanding and painting gives decent results.
              Only have the one in the Tundra done (and it’s a different concept as it won’t sit flush like in our cars). For that I used a double DIN mount (for a Tundra obviously) and another Fifeild mount.
              Soundman on YouTube also has a mount but requires custom work to make it fit as well. And much more expensive. And it uses magnets so don’t think it will physically fit in the dash without modifying the center vents (which I won’t do).
              The iPad mini will just make it between the bottom of the Nav holder and the center vents. Working to get the mount and double DIN bonded together for a smoother look.

Mike
              02 M3 Titanium Silver/Black
              11 Tundra SuperWhite/Black
              16 X5

Comment

I would really consider this unit: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500ILX...-iLX-W650.html if I could find a nicely made mounting frame for it.

Comment

Originally posted by nuc1 View Post

Not able to do any type of molding. Bought a double DIN holder for e46 and an iPad mini holder from Fifield Productions. Lots of plastic body filler, some CA glue plus lots of sanding and painting gives decent results.
                  Only have the one in the Tundra done (and it’s a different concept as it won’t sit flush like in our cars). For that I used a double DIN mount (for a Tundra obviously) and another Fifeild mount.
                  Soundman on YouTube also has a mount but requires custom work to make it fit as well. And much more expensive. And it uses magnets so don’t think it will physically fit in the dash without modifying the center vents (which I won’t do).
                  The iPad mini will just make it between the bottom of the Nav holder and the center vents. Working to get the mount and double DIN bonded together for a smoother look.

Mike
                  More power to you, sir. I looked at the Fifield and Soundman kits when I started the project, but I was just not confident I could do that much custom work and have it come out looking decent. I would be really interested to see your progress. Please post here or start a thread when you can.

Jesse
                  Old, not obsolete.

Comment

Originally posted by CTI6095 View Post
                    I recently upgraded to the AVIN PX5904GB32-E469 9" Touchscreen Multimedia Navigation System. I detailed my set up and parts on my build thread (https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...black-cinnamon). Overall I have really enjoyed the unit. I am big into the wireless aspect of the system so being able to utilize carplay was a great plus. It's far from traditional but I love the modern touch.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4914.jpg
Views:	1140
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	15111
                    Interesting...

Comment

Anyone with an AVANT 4 know if it can decode 24bit FLAC?

Also, is there a way to turn off the display without turning the unit off; I like to set my music on random, then turn the display off.
                      Last edited by WoGGo; 05-09-2020, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rbg View Post
                        I would really consider this unit: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500ILX...-iLX-W650.html if I could find a nicely made mounting frame for it.
                        I wonder if this Alpine unit would fit due to it's shallow chassis (only 2-13/16" deep) if used with a Metra 95-9311B double DIN mounting kit https://www.amazon.com/Metra-95-9311...9831306&sr=8-2, wiring harness & antenna adapter?

Comment

Originally posted by umichchris View Post
                          Apple CarPlay volume is wayyyyyy lower than all other inputs. this means when im driving, ive gotta cut the volume all the way up for it to be a normal level unlike other inputs. so, when i listen to music, i simply use the built-in generic Bluetooth interface rather than CarPlay which negates me spending the extra $100 for wireless CarPlay.

add to that, ive got a nasty ass feedback loop coming from the head-unit. shabby internal grounding. i ran a additional ground wire for the head unit, still the same. im going to save up to buy a new radio and toss this one in the trash tbh (i spent like $800 after options smh).
                          Did you install this yourself? A lot of feedback issues is user install error. Are you using the Avin amp only or trying to run it through the HK amp? Or do you have a separate amp?
                          I wouldn't trash it, I have the 3 and while it has some issues, most are fixable or not too big a deal.

Comment

Originally posted by m3urthy View Post

I did - I really can't compare it to the non EQ version though since i haven't listened to it. Honestly with Apple CarPlay, my car feels just as modern as my new Cayman S. Go for the Avin!
                            Do I have to order the iBus adapter and license in order for the steering wheel controls to work or the DSP equalizer? I emailed Avin, but haven't heard back.
                            Garage:
                            2002 BMW M3: Slicktop jetblack/cinnamon. SMG to 6-speed. Arc-8's. Koni yellows/Dinan springs. Macht elbow. Megan headers. Stock section 1+AR20. SCZA section 3.
                            1998 Mercedes E300 Turbodiesel: Pizza bag warmer.

Comment

my Avin A4 is still shit. still dont recommend anyone buy one. i only drive my car like 1k or 2k per year so im not in it daily...but every time i get into the car the radio pisses me off. i really need to yank it out and go another route.

Comment

I just got my Avin A4 about 2 months ago. So far so good.

Bluetooth calls work great in mine. No external mic. Just the one in the unit. One of the first things I tested. I have a vert and even with the top down people I call say it sounds good.
                                2002 M3 LSB/Kiwi Vert
                                2014 X5 50i
                                2019 Ford Raptor

Comment

Working...
                                X