Epoxy/Rivet Vince Bar - Epoxy options besides Araldite 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by K-Dawg View Post
    How much epoxy have you guys needed to install a Vincebar and Vinceskinz?

Araldite 2014 is currently available in 50ml cartridges. It would end up being a little more expensive than 3M 08115, but it is what Vince recommends.

Vince also recommended the 200ml cartridge. Besides cost, is there any reason to not use 50ml cartridges?
    I used 2 200ml 3M cartridges for the Vince Bar, Cups and plates.
    2003.5 E46 M3 Silver Grey/Cinnamon

MCS - Vorshlag Plates - SSv1- SS Dual 2.5" Sec.2 - SS (Hamann) Street Sec.3 - 3.91 Gears - BBS E88s - 996 Brembo - PSMax - SDW Monoball - VinceBar - DMG - Haimus CSL - Karbonius - HTE Tuning - AEM 50-1200

http://www.instagram.com/sid_e46/
    Journal: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...grey-speed-run

Comment

My plates were welded on underneath, but for the Epoxy/Rivet Vincebar, it only took one tube of 3M 08115 (200ml). There was enough left over for the shop to smooth everything out and blend it to the RACP for a aesthetically pleasing visual. I'll get a picture once I get home.
      Last edited by WestBankM4; 02-04-2022, 10:38 PM.

Comment

Wouldn’t 3M 7333 be a better option over 3M 8115?

8115 is for panel bonding, 7333 is structural and impact resistant?

Anyhow 7333 is what I chose to use…

3M™ Impact Resistant Structural Adhesive (IRSA) is formulated for true automotive OEM specified structural bonding applications, excellent for collision absorption in steel structures and advanced lightweight aluminum alloys. This two part epoxy adhesive delivers extended worktimes – up to 1 hour – and can be rapidly heat cured. The adhesive changes from silver to purple as the adhesive cures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        2005 ///M3 SMG Coupe Silbergrau Metallic/CSL bucket seats
        Build Thread:
        https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...e46-m3-journal

Comment

Originally posted by karter16 View Post
          Wouldn’t 3M 7333 be a better option over 3M 8115?

8115 is for panel bonding, 7333 is structural and impact resistant?

Anyhow 7333 is what I chose to use…

3M™ Impact Resistant Structural Adhesive (IRSA) is formulated for true automotive OEM specified structural bonding applications, excellent for collision absorption in steel structures and advanced lightweight aluminum alloys. This two part epoxy adhesive delivers extended worktimes – up to 1 hour – and can be rapidly heat cured. The adhesive changes from silver to purple as the adhesive cures.

I think this website breaks it down pretty well between 3M 7333 vs. 3M 8115 vs. 3M 8116. Yours is a structrual adhesive and the other two are panel bonding adhesives.

"Important differences:

As I mentioned, we have one structural adhesive (07333) and two panel bonding adhesives, and there's a large difference between those two (08115 + 08116). So, a structural adhesive is designed only to be used where the manufacturers tell us to use it. So, you're going to need to specifically go to each procedure, for each vehicle, and specific year, and find out where they recommend a structural adhesive. You don't want to use that just anywhere we feel is suitable. We have to follow the OEM recommendations, and one of the reasons is that it's a completely different style of adhesive. So, it's got a lot of technology in adhesive, including that its impact-resistant or crash toughened. And what that means is it's got a little more give to it than a traditional bonding adhesive, and when you run a test on these two adhesive you see a noticeable difference in how they separate on impact. So, this adhesive here will absorb a lot more crash energy and it'll separate a little bit differently."

Here's the link to the review, https://www.autorepairsdirect.com.au...8115-and-08116

Comment

Originally posted by WestBankM4 View Post

I think this website breaks it down pretty well between 3M 7333 vs. 3M 8115 vs. 3M 8116. Yours is a structrual adhesive and the other two are panel bonding adhesives.

"Important differences:

As I mentioned, we have one structural adhesive (07333) and two panel bonding adhesives, and there's a large difference between those two (08115 + 08116). So, a structural adhesive is designed only to be used where the manufacturers tell us to use it. So, you're going to need to specifically go to each procedure, for each vehicle, and specific year, and find out where they recommend a structural adhesive. You don't want to use that just anywhere we feel is suitable. We have to follow the OEM recommendations, and one of the reasons is that it's a completely different style of adhesive. So, it's got a lot of technology in adhesive, including that its impact-resistant or crash toughened. And what that means is it's got a little more give to it than a traditional bonding adhesive, and when you run a test on these two adhesive you see a noticeable difference in how they separate on impact. So, this adhesive here will absorb a lot more crash energy and it'll separate a little bit differently."

Here's the link to the review, https://www.autorepairsdirect.com.au...8115-and-08116
            Thanks - that’s a good write up and articulates it better than I could have.

Appreciate that RACP reinforcement plates isn’t going to be a “manufacturer approved situation” but as they noted 8115 / 8116 is intended for outer / non-structural applications only. Therefore seems 7333 is a better option for this situation.

Build Thread:

Comment

I bought the 08115 but after reading this I may have to buy the 07333, damn..that stuff isn't cheap and I don't known if I can return what I bought.
              However you really do want the right stuff in this application.
              2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
              Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
              Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
              RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
              Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post
                I bought the 08115 but after reading this I may have to buy the 07333, damn..that stuff isn't cheap and I don't known if I can return what I bought.
                However you really do want the right stuff in this application.
                Yeah I did the same when I did mine. Ordered the 8115 and then found out about 7333 😖

Build Thread:

Comment

The 3M 8xxx panel bonding adhesive data sheets say right at the top “Not for structural use” which kinda ruled it out for me.

I eventually found 3M DP460NS. It was the closest to Araldite 2014 I could find. The 60 minute working time really helps, and the non sag formula does what it says.

Comment

I have some left over 50ml if you want to PM me

Comment

I ordered:
                      3M Impact Resistant Structural Adhesive, 07333, Two-Part Epoxy, True Automotive OEM Recommended, 200 mL

and their cartridge gun:
                      3M Manual Cartridge Applicator, 08571, Accurately Dispense Materials, Steady Application, 200 ml

But I’m still waiting for my VinceSkinz before I install. It’s the last part I need for a full rear end refresh (aside from the diff which I’m going to order after dropping the subframe).

Comment

PSA for anyone who doesn’t want to drop $$ on the special applicator gun. With some plate steel, threaded rod and nuts you can build an adapter for a standard caulking gun.

Build Thread:

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

I ended up using a 3M product designed for the same purpose. If nobody has replied by this weekend, I can get the PN for you then.
                          Was it the 07333 by any chance?

Edit: Yup, 3M 07333 was mentioned for the Vincebar in the Slon Carbon Wall thread and Vince also recommends the same if using a 3M product.
                          Last edited by Slideways; 05-12-2022, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X