CPV oring keeps tearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by usdmej View Post

He specs and sells a viton oring that solves the leaking cpv valve issue. Just buy one from him, it's all you'll need, he's been selling them for years and I have yet to see anyone with a follow up issue
    He should hire you as his salesman!
    '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

Originally posted by Chanman1029 View Post
      Gonna try to find a local store that sells gaskets in bulk, I’ll report back with my findings.
      You have the specs above in post #17. Go to your local bearing place, grainger, mcmaster etc and buy one for .25 cents.

If you have another new cpv with stock oring they can measure it for you.
      2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post

You have the specs above in post #17. Go to your local bearing place, grainger, mcmaster etc and buy one for .25 cents.

If you have another new cpv with stock oring they can measure it for you.
        I went to a few today, didn’t find the size. I will keep looking at different hardware stores, but in the meantime have some ordered through a couple different vendors. This would be surprising to me if the ecs brand ones are the issue, I dont expect quality deficiencies from them, but It seems thats a likely story here.

Comment

It's a small item and it's $5 bucks, but it works! Order one from mpower22 and call it a day. You probably spent more in gas than that o-ring costs

Comment

seems that the threads going into the block have to rough spots.
            pic below shows the threads in the block is well below the O-ring, and so these female threads cannot touch or cut into the O-ring. Impossible.
            Some of the threads seem to have an oil journal cut through them, and this is what seems to be tearing my o rings when I tried to screw it in all the way..
            The oil journals also are below the O-ring, and so they cannot touch or cut it.
            This is similar to the oil filter cap O-ring, that during install, make sure the o-ring is lubed with grease, screw the cap down slowly and make sure the O-ring is not jammed between the cap groove edge and the oil filter housing top edge. Of course you need to compare how much your O-ring protruding out compare to this photo.
            Your issue is the O-ring was jammed between the block hole edge and the CPV groove edge.

Some of the threads seem to have an oil journal cut through them, and this is what seems to be tearing my o rings when I tried to screw it in all the way. I ripped one gasket and installed the second one without tearing it, however the cpv is not fully inserted like many of the DIYs show it to be. And advice? I’m wondering if I will need to file down the edges of the sharp threads or something

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post
              It's a small item and it's $5 bucks, but it works! Order one from mpower22 and call it a day. You probably spent more in gas than that o-ring costs
              Money is not a issue for me😋 but I already have some on order.

Comment

what is going on here?
                2002 TiAg M3 Coupe (SMG to 6spd), 2003 Jet Black M5

https://www.instagram.com/individual_throttle_buddies/

Comment

Originally posted by lemoose View Post
                  what is going on here?
                  From now on, hopefully nothing but a reasonable and productive conversation about what to do about the CPV o-ring.
                  2008 M3 Sedan 6MT
                  Slicktop, no iDrive | Öhlins by 3DM Motorsport | Autosolutions | SPL

2012 Mazda5 6MT
                  Koni Special Active, Volvo parts

Comment

Pretty sure that both of them were the ECS Viton one. I can confirm atleast one of them was. They didn’t seem to be excessively big, looked normal to me. This sucks. I think I’m gonna go buy an assortment of 16mm x 2mm gaskets, and get rogue with this thread repair, at this point the only reason I’m concerned is about metal shavings, I haven’t even started my motor yet since its had a full rebuild. This is literally the only thing stopping me from starting the car.
                    ECS strikes again! I had an issue buying orings and a new water pump from ECS. The two orings they sent for the small water pipes under the water pump were two different sizes. One was a 16mm and the other was a 15mm, they are both suppose to be 16mm's. So close in size I didn't notice it upon install. This caused one of the pipes to not seal properly and introduced air into the system, I had to tear apart the entire cooling system looking for the problem, all caused by the wrong sized oring sent by ECS! This led me to put together the Hi-Temp Oring sets for the M3 Cooling System.

S54 Hi-Temp Cooling System Orings
                    Complete set of Hi-Temp Silicone and Viton O-rings for the Entire S54 Cooling System. Also comes with the Power Steering, SMG Reservoir and Expansion Tank Cap O-ring's! Replace the factory Buna orings with higher quality Hi-temp Silicone and Viton O-rings. These O-rings have higher temperature rating and more resistant to

Originally posted by mpower22 View Post
                    Thanks George Hill, unfortunately my post is hidden in a section away from the main classifieds so most people on here don't even see or find it, but the link is always in my signature.
                    Same here. I use to sell a few kits a week, now it's a few kits a month. Nobody looks in the "Member Services" section. My Viton CPV Oring I got from you a few years ago is working great!
                    BTW it shows "Banned" under your avatar?

Member Services

TTFS Engine/SMG Tune - CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA
                    Brembo 996 - ARC-8's - BWS 500S 9k/11k - Valentine 1 - BlueBus - Orion V4's
                    Evolve Eventuri
                    - VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser/CSL Trunk

Comment

Originally posted by WOLFN8TR View Post

ECS strikes again! I had an issue buying orings and a new water pump from ECS. The two orings they sent for the small water pipes under the water pump were two different sizes. One was a 16mm and the other was a 15mm, they are both suppose to be 16mm's. So close in size I didn't notice it upon install. This caused one of the pipes to not seal properly and introduced air into the system, I had to tear apart the entire cooling system looking for the problem, all caused by the wrong sized oring sent by ECS! This led me to put together the Hi-Temp Oring sets for the M3 Cooling System.
                      Good to know. I actually came across your cooling system O-ring thread, unfortunately a month ago I had already purchased all new OEM o rings for my cooling system overhaul I’m incorporating with my engine rebuild. If I ever run into leaking issues I’ll definitely be purchasing you kit though!

My avatar says banned or the other guys?

Comment

How common are these non-cpv oring leaks anyone know?
                        2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by jbfrancis3 View Post

He should hire you as his salesman!
                          lol just stating facts. OP is blindly taking shots in the dark trying to fix a problem that there's been a solution to for years now

Comment

Originally posted by usdmej View Post

lol just stating facts. OP is blindly taking shots in the dark trying to fix a problem that there's been a solution to for years now

Heck yeah buddy

Comment

My avatar says banned or the other guys?
                              Mpower22
                              TTFS Engine/SMG Tune - CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA
                              Brembo 996 - ARC-8's - BWS 500S 9k/11k - Valentine 1 - BlueBus - Orion V4's
                              Evolve Eventuri
                              - VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser/CSL Trunk

Comment

If you followed this thread then you'd know he got banned for being dick.

Comment

Working...
                                X