Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SLON-WORKSHOP Torsional Rigidity Platform. E46 M3 new experience & tests. Tech info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SLON-WORKSHOP Torsional Rigidity Platform. E46 M3 new experience & tests. Tech info

Write something... Okay, i'll try (sorry for my English) .

Hello guys and girls!

I was mainly offline on the forum during summer season, cause we have a lot of local work, our customer's cars went "time attack" events, a lot of trackdays etc, and by the way, one of our M4 took 1 place in Russian Time Attack series in their class.

Anyway, if we come half year back, we have started the work on our own torsional rigidity platform, which will helps with testing our present stuff, and in developing some new products and solutions. We had worked on it during season, time to time, and finally i've pushed on it for the last 1.5 months and it finished at last.

Some short specs:

own torsional rigidity of our platform about 145000 Nm/Deg (of course its A LOT of steel, and welding, right. but some attentive comrades could notice that it has carbon fiber also! right - we have used for our platform same technology . !3+mm! thickness sheets of multilayer carbon fiber glued on the structural glue, like we use on our carbon roofs and carbon fiber walls)

angle measuring accuracy: ±0.0004”/ft or 10-second (± 0.002°) from 0° to ±0.5° ± 0.004° at other angles (during tests, we are using angles up to 0.5 degrees, so +-0.002 degrees)
    for the force measuring we are using our race scales pads (longacre), so accuracy +-1kg (during tests we are applying force in 650kg/6375nm)

Angle sensors mounted on the turrets (front axle and rear axle) - we are using some transverse braces, without any solid fixing to the turrets, not to make difference in measurements. So if turrets will moved towards during measurements, braces will not make negative effect.

For measurement we are making two tests, per one on each side. For calculating final figures we are using average figure from two sides (for example, if we got 0.290 for the left and 0.280 degrees to the right, we are using 0.285, etc).

Anyway, i've made more than 50 measurements during this week, and could make some conclusions - on a rigidity about 14000nm/deg our measuring system make repeats in about 100nm/deg, so even 200-300nm improvements seen easily ;D.
    I'll try to answer on some possible questions beforehand - yeah, we have tried already to make measurements on different applying force and tolerance stays about the same level (100nm/deg) even on 910kg.

Angle sensors - i'm glad that i've found those gauges , works great really. One of the best things, that they gives for our purposes mobile app, where we can connect both sensors in one time (bluetooth) and we can watch delta angle between two sensors. So no long calculations, really easy. I see final angle difference between front and rear axle and make correct force, that's all we need

I think now time to go to some test results, right?

Click image for larger version

Name:	7Z1A1793_resize50.jpg
Views:	1263
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	136681 Click image for larger version

Name:	7Z1A1763_resize50.jpg
Views:	1228
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	136682

Attached Files

Woot! Let’s see the results!

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Okay i'll go forward.

Some useful specs for the begin:

BMW E46 Sedan (w/o folding seats) - 18,000 Nm/deg
      BMW E46 Sedan (w/folding seats) - 13,000 Nm/deg
      BMW E46 Wagon (w/folding seats) - 14,000 Nm/deg
      BMW E46 Coupe (w/folding seats) - 12,500 Nm/deg
      E46 M3: 18,500 nm/deg
      E46 M3 CSL: 18.750 nm/deg

On Monday we have started from more stripped chassis. Now you need to understand, that we are speaking about parts list, which can make influence on the result- chassis torsional rigidity. So this is not about interior trims, door windows etc. Engine with gearbox also doesn't matter, cause it mounts on the rubber mounts.

First results was about 12200 nm/degrees. this was without aluminum stiffening plate, front end panel and even without front bumper support. i didn't bet on it, but maybe it also make some difference, isn't it?
      But anyway, this figure was far away, from i expected to see. Okay, i've made some discount, cause its very close to E46 coupe (non M) chassis, so maybe all other screwed stuff will make this difference.
      Aaaand we've continued to fit different oem parts, like doors (about nothing by the way), front end panel + bumper support brace (+400nm), rear backs of the seats (nope ), and even under dash brace (also nope )
      Anyway, during fitment all this parts, step by step, sometime in 200nm, sometime in 300-400nm, we have gone to 14200 Nm/deg. That was final stock torsional rigidity. That's... sad i think

On another side, what i want to expect from old used chassis with long story etc.
      So, that's about 23 percent of losses from factory figures (on paper?).

Now let's continue First i want to try was our aluminum subframe bushings. But it was broken expectations. Really interesting, how they will give effect on good restored and stiffened floor, but now we get what we have - 14600 Nm/deg on solid bushings.
      So, +400nm from this "third party" upgrade (cause, i don't think that anyone think about torsional ridigity, when fit them on the car ).

On that place i've started to worried about perspectives, cause all mounted stuff, until that moment didn't gives some high figures.
      But our next experimental was our Carbon Fiber Strengthening Wall .
      During this test days we've played with bets with all our team, during every parts mounting, so we've glued new wall to this chassis and on the next day evening started to make new bets about the wall .

Most of my worries was about wall environment - i saw that two-three factory spot welds (under the rear seats area) were cracked, so i thought, that effect may be less.

Anyway, it was a time to start
      Need to remind - last time we've got 14600 Nm/deg on solid bushings.

Push one side (i saw first figures on the screen and our guys doesn't), and i'm waiting second side to get final results... short calculations - 18660 Nm/deg with our carbon wall!!!

That is 28% improvement on the SLON-WORKSHOP Carbon Fiber Wall. haters gonna hate

I've waited that moment for the last few years, from the first wall taken from the mold and installed on my car. All previous calculations without real measurements, of course i had understanding, that finally i must to make some way, to show people real world figures. That's it! Done. i've believed and i'm happy.

Anyway, of course this is not the end, and we already continue working on the future stuff, but it's in the next post.

Thanks to All, who believe in Us and Our work!
      Click image for larger version  Name:	original_5a3721b7-5eb3-4993-9f58-80c3c27456e7_PXL_20211110_164615731_resize50.jpg Views:	0 Size:	86.6 KB ID:	136707

Comment

Awesome results. I’ve been wanting this product since I saw this years ago:
        BMW E46 Sedan (w/o folding seats) - 18,000 Nm/deg
        BMW E46 Sedan (w/folding seats) - 13,000 Nm/deg
        BMW E46 Wagon (w/folding seats) - 14,000 Nm/deg
        BMW E46 Coupe (w/folding seats) - 12,500 Nm/deg
        E46 M3: 18,500 nm/deg
        E46 M3 CSL: 18.750 nm/deg

And couldn’t be more enthused that it finally exists, and delivered as hoped.

Looking forward to future similar innovations from you!

… I need to get my rear wall installed, already!

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
        2012 LMB/Black 128i
        2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Incredible job, as usual. Your desire to improve the M platforms is unparalleled.

Thank you for the great work! So cool to see how your parts improve things!

Comment

Wow those are great results!

I wonder what a fully dressed car measures at. In fact, I wonder what MY fully dressed car measures at .
            2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Nice, I have been preparing my car to bond my panel this week hopefully if the temperature holds it will be in tomorrow.

Comment

Such a cool product can’t wait till winter (project time) to put it on the car and love the work you do! Keep it up!

PS: I was very proud that my wall came before Obioban’s :P. Мы русские за друг другом присматриваемым
                Last edited by Surge709; 11-11-2021, 05:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
                  Wow those are great results!

I wonder what a fully dressed car measures at. In fact, I wonder what MY fully dressed car measures at .
                  We've fitted ALL parts, which can make any difference. External parts, like hood or bumpers, doesn't make any difference, same about dash or exhaust or lights etc.

We have second e46 m3 chassis for this winter, there will be more interesting work, but it will started from underbody restoration with new rear floor etc. So we will measure restored chassis before upgrades.

Comment

This whole thing is so next-level I can't find words.
                    2008 M3 Sedan 6MT
                    Slicktop, no iDrive | Öhlins by 3DM Motorsport | Autosolutions | SPL

2012 Mazda5 6MT
                    Koni Special Active, Volvo parts

Comment

Subbed. This awesome and looking forward to more future products.

Comment

Hey Slonik kudos on the incredible job turning out some incredible products. That jig is serious stuff and those numbers are no joke! Well done!

What's the best way to order from you? I'm not on Instagram.

Edit: I can shoot you a pm if you want to keep this post more about your product innovations...
                        Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Sorry I can’t seem to find a pic or link to this wall? Went on the Slon website, no dice. What does it look like, or did I miss out in a pic above?
                          ‘04 M3

Comment

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post
                            Hey Slonik kudos on the incredible job turning out some incredible products. That jig is serious stuff and those numbers are no joke! Well done!

What's the best way to order from you? I'm not on Instagram.
                            Thank you!

You can PM me here

Comment

Originally posted by Maxhouse97 View Post
                              Sorry I can’t seem to find a pic or link to this wall? Went on the Slon website, no dice. What does it look like, or did I miss out in a pic above?
                              Group buy link: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...Jxrsg/viewform (https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSejTveifbLy64uNULJlw9mbRoPC9FkzB4z77zsijWNsNJxrsg/viewform) So, some chassis stiffness context. The e46 sedan was offered with or without fold through seats. If you didn't get fold through seats, there was a metal

Comment

Working...
                              X