Possible Head Gasket Failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SteelGreyM View Post

You can see the small piece of head material missing from between the cylinders. If you ignore it this will only get bigger. Do not do what I did.
    I remember that thread. Still baffled by how the head looks at cylinder 1.

You ever figure out what caused those marks on the head? Almost looks like something solid was bouncing around in there.
    2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

I remember that thread. Still baffled by how the head looks at cylinder 1.

You ever figure out what caused those marks on the head? Almost looks like something solid was bouncing around in there.
      Yep! Turns out 10k miles of detonation will do some damage to your pistons! Imagine a piece of metal flinging around at 8k rpm 😆

Comment

THREAD UPDATE:

I'll be yanking off the head tomorrow morning, everything is ready to go, just yanked the camshafts off tonight and prepped everything.

After reading more and more I'm super nervous about the head being marred so bad, it's unrepairable. I called a local engine machine shop, Star Machine in Emeryville and got an appointment on Wednesday. Guy is super knowledgeable about the S54, he said they're prone to cracking so we'll start with a pressure test and if all is good we'll go from there.

If I decide to hot tank, what components should I leave in the head?

Will update thread once I pull off the head, I'm praying it doesn't look like SteelGreyM 😂

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Comment

Best of luck!

Comment

Nice work, you got this, hope all goes as smoothly as possible.
            2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
            Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
            Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
            RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
            Instagram

Comment

UPDATE:

Looks like my and everyone else's suspicions have been proven accurate, blown headgasket between cylinder 2 and 3.

Upon pulling the head off, take a look at the block and the head and let me know your thoughts? Doesn't look like any damage on the head at all, do you all suggest I still take it to get decked?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Comment

I think the most is .005 to be removed. Are you doing any upgrades while you're in there? PM sent. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Halftim3 View Post
                  I think the most is .005 to be removed. Are you doing any upgrades while you're in there? PM sent. Good luck.
                  Yeah a light skim is what I'm thinking, just to make it clean and even.

Upgraded the Vanos unit 500 miles ago to all Besian Systems, with a nice Ceracote on it, done by a member on this forum. I also took the time to buy a Dr. Vanos oil pressure line, should look gnarly with everything cleaned up.

Haven't done any upgrades otherwise to be honest, I was thinking about internals in the head but that would be at a later date, I just want the car back to baseline. Now I know I can do this sort of job, refreshing.

Comment

Any tune on the car?

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                    2012 LMB/Black 128i
                    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

I just went through something very similar w/mine not too long ago, except mine was due to spitting a shim…which resulted in a bent valve. Had to R&R the head & re-install everything—UUGH! It's not super difficult, just time consuming! Make sure that you chase all of the head bolt threads in the block, and use the proper torque technique/sequence. ALSO, DON'T FORGET TO INSTALL THE FOLLOWERS BEFORE INSTALLING THE HEAD!

Click image for larger version  Name:	954E5049-22EC-4D18-B68C-662EAF58A0B9.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	136.2 KB ID:	146491 Click image for larger version  Name:	170CC930-FCF7-4E9D-A5FB-F79B8FA1DFC5.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	143.8 KB ID:	146492 Click image for larger version  Name:	CFCB9C10-07EC-42B6-8D86-7A8CB0279592.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	126.7 KB ID:	146493 Click image for larger version  Name:	E7BD24B7-E3C0-46FF-AE14-5C4573E82790.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	158.0 KB ID:	146494 Click image for larger version  Name:	5E123F66-A8C3-4FCB-9F89-26C863553B59.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	213.8 KB ID:	146495
                      Last edited by stash1; 01-04-2022, 05:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by WestBankM4 View Post
                        Doesn't look like any damage on the head at all, do you all suggest I still take it to get decked?
                        Head has pitting and needs flycut.
                        Block: clean up all gasket residual really good, then use Sharpie color the whole cylinder divider top, then gently sliding a flat granite on the surface to see if the Sharpie is rubbed off evenly.

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
                          Any tune on the car?
                          Car is completely stock Obi, no tune on it.

Originally posted by sapote View Post

Head has pitting and needs flycut.
                          Block: clean up all gasket residual really good, then use Sharpie color the whole cylinder divider top, then gently sliding a flat granite on the surface to see if the Sharpie is rubbed off evenly.
                          Thank you for the feedback. Will do on the block, great help!

Comment

Originally posted by WestBankM4 View Post
                            UPDATE:

Looks like my and everyone else's suspicions have been proven accurate, blown headgasket between cylinder 2 and 3.

Upon pulling the head off, take a look at the block and the head and let me know your thoughts? Doesn't look like any damage on the head at all, do you all suggest I still take it to get decked?
                            The photo looks like the cylinder head is in fact damaged. Hard to tell how deep but your fingernail easily catches that black spot, no?
                            '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

Hey. Glad to see we diagnosed correctly. You will want to take the head into your machine shop at the bare minimum. They should check it out and advise you for free. I would 100% get it check out by a professional as there isn’t much we can tell you from photos alone

Comment

I'd say you might as well still send out your fuel injectors or buy new ones when you reassemble everything for peace of mind.

Comment

Working...
                                X