Matt Farah of The Smoking Tire picks up an E46 M3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by maw1124 View Post
    I might drive my M3 over with the top down and my hands free, more or less.

maw
    You should probably steer.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

I think the perfect car for maw would be a self-driving 4 door convertible tesla 🤠
      2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post
        I think the perfect car for maw would be a self-driving 4 door convertible tesla 🤠
        Nah, I'm good with the fleet I have for the foreseeable future actually... classic German muscle car drivers that each play their positions perfectly and put smiles on my face... this one is the hooligan of the bunch.

maw

Comment

Hey Matt, Glad you lurk the forum. You've grown up a ton.
          3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Nah, I'm good with the fleet I have for the foreseeable future actually... classic German muscle car drivers that each play their positions perfectly and put smiles on my face... this one is the hooligan of the bunch.

maw
            But imagine the zip!

Changing gears manually here, I disagree with Matt about the 7/10s point he tried to make. There is no point in having an m3 if you're not wringing it out though I wouldn't condone doing that in an uncontrolled environment like the canyons which is far too dangerous and disrespectful to fellow drivers/riders. He's saying that now because he's cognizant of the collector value of e46s which will always be on the back of the mind as the landscape changes. People are incrementally becoming too frightened to drive their cars and it will only get worse. The car is mundane, however, and nothing special if being driven like an old man so I'm not quite sure why anyone would bother chasing the m3 dream other than to be in the club.
            2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
              You should probably steer.
              Speaking of... he mentions the steering not being the most communicative... is that mainly a steering rack issue (ZCP rack can help), or a suspension issue (Koni adjustable yellows, wider front wheels, etc. can help)?

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post
              But imagine the zip!
              Yeah, that's what my guys tell me. I like internal combustion exhaust sounds and feels, and not piped through my speakers. There'll be plenty of time for people to force me to drive a silent zipper. For now, I decrease my carbon footprint with a zero commute.

maw

Comment

Speaking of... he mentions the steering not being the most communicative... is that mainly a steering rack issue (ZCP rack can help), or a suspension issue (Koni adjustable yellows, wider front wheels, etc. can help)?

Yeah, that's what my guys tell me. I like internal combustion exhaust sounds and feels, and not piped through my speakers. There'll be plenty of time for people to force me to drive a silent zipper. For now, I decrease my carbon footprint with a zero commute.

maw
                ZHP (not ZCP) rack has the best feel-- that's why I have it, despite preferring the slower ratio of the stock M3 rack. So, he's not on the optimal rack for that.

But, a cheaper and better fix is to reduce the output of the power steering pump by ~25% by shimming it. I did that on my stock M3 rack (wagon) and ZHP rack (coupe) and have zero regrets.

Nice side perks: no more e46 M3 power steering line sweating and (marginally) less parasitic hp loss.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

ZHP rack has the best feel-- that's why I have it, despite preferring the slower ratio of the stock M3 rack. So, he's not on the optimal rack for that.

But, a cheaper and better fix is to reduce the output of the power steering pump by ~25% by shimming it. I did that on my stock M3 rack (wagon) and ZHP rack (coupe) and have zero regrets.

Nice side perks: no more e46 M3 power steering line sweating and (marginally) less parasitic hp loss.
                  Is there a DIY somewhere out there for this? I will hit google and the magnifying glass above. Currently have my motor out and lines disconnected, there will never be an easier time to do this...

Also, planning on replacing the lines (good insurance) but anyone know how long do those lines typically last for? Mine look great.
                  Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue​

Comment

https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...rmation-thread

Casa de Mesa
                    Last edited by lvm3sm46; 02-03-2022, 07:51 AM.

Comment

His latest video on the M3 was actually pretty spot on, but I still can't stand the guy. Anyone else catch him mentioning his new Rolex in the video?

Comment

Originally posted by stephen View Post
                        His latest video on the M3 was actually pretty spot on, but I still can't stand the guy. Anyone else catch him mentioning his new Rolex in the video?
                        Yeah… shameless plug… nobody collecting cars cares about a Rolex though these days… more collecting residences than watches.

maw

Comment

Not sure on his logic of buying a clean collector example yet it’s not a ZCP, and we’ll, it’s silver.

Nothing against non ZCP/silver cars, but that doesn’t add up as being very desirable.

Obviously just my own opinion, but owning M cars has always been about having the fun color. The e9 CSL’s we’re all about vivid colors and driving experience

Comment

Originally posted by Chas3n View Post
                            Not sure on his logic of buying a clean collector example yet it’s not a ZCP, and well, it’s silver... owning M cars has always been about having the fun color.
                            This is astute and while I generally agree, it's interesting for me to see people so fixated on the paint, whereas I only focused on the interior color. Imola Red does a LOT for his car. I don't think it's possible to overstate that. I was completely unwilling to look at that grey or black interior with metal looking plastic. Just couldn't do it. So I only ever considered Imola and Cinnamon and confined my exterior colors to what came with those. "Originality" wouldn't let me do an interior swap.

maw

Nas' "purple M3s and jet skis" had me all over the TechnoViolet, but I couldn't live with the Grey interior.

Comment

Originally posted by Chas3n View Post
                              Not sure on his logic of buying a clean collector example yet it’s not a ZCP, and we’ll, it’s silver.

Nothing against non ZCP/silver cars, but that doesn’t add up as being very desirable.
                              Also sunroof.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                              2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Seemed he was fixated on low mileage more than the other things, but a silver/red will always have sales appeal to hardcore BMW folks and casuals. Coming from a "fun color" owner, I see a lot of appeal in the more low-key color choice with a bright interior you get to enjoy. Grass is always greener I suppose.

The only folks who care about sunroof and options outside of color are people tracking them, which is more the minority than majority anyway.
                                2002 M3 Coupe | 1988 320i Touring

Comment

Working...
                                X