No announcement yet.

Matt Farah of The Smoking Tire picks up an E46 M3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non sunroof cars have always commanded a premium, for e46s and other/older BMWs-- long after people stop tracking them. If you're buying a car for resale, in order of importance:
    Coupe
    low miles
    6mt
    fun color
    ZCP
    fun interior color
    post 2003
    no sunroof
    manual seats

Not listing that as my order of values, just things that influence long term resale, in order of importance.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Dude was so pumped about a NOS Dinan S1 kit.

LOL
      2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
      2005 BMW ///M3
      Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
      2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
      2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
      2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

Sunroof, not an exterior or interior "fun color", yet..... $91,000. 6mt, coupe, manual, clean, low mileage trumps everything massively. I'm not saying a ZCP with the same mileage doesn't go for a bit more but I think negligible.

Bid for the chance to own a 4,700-Mile 2005 BMW M3 Coupe 6-Speed at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #60,504.

3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by oceansize View Post
          Sunroof, not an exterior or interior "fun color", yet..... $91,000. 6mt, coupe, manual, clean, low mileage trumps everything massively. I'm not saying a ZCP with the same mileage doesn't go for a bit more but I think negligible.

Bid for the chance to own a 4,700-Mile 2005 BMW M3 Coupe 6-Speed at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #60,504.
          Yep, that's why my top 3, in order, were coupe, low miles, manual.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
          2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

I'm in the camp that hates the rising values but for curiosity sake I'm waiting for a ZCP, fun color, no sunroof, manual, and sub 10k miles to appear on BAT.
            3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by oceansize View Post
              I'm in the camp that hates the rising values but for curiosity sake I'm waiting for a ZCP, fun color, no sunroof, manual, and sub 10k miles to appear on BAT.
              My brother is list his up this spring. Not super low miles, but...
              Coupe
              <50,000 miles
              6mt (though it's converted from SMG)
              ZCP
              Interlagos on Cin
              no sunroof
              manual seats

... should do reasonably well...

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
              2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Silver grey is also an iconic color because of the CSL, besides the car just looking damn good in that color. It's probably the most desirable neutral color, maybe AW can compete. Low mile, fun color ZCP is basically limited to Imola, since LSB and PY were discontinued. Doubt there are many Mystic ZCPs since most people probably went with Lagos. ILB is very nice, but not sure it counts as a "fun" color, the only really shouty colors on this car were PY, LSB and IR - and even IR is pretty elegant as far as reds go IMO. So that would basically leave IR, ILB, and individual cars, which would probably be pumped up in price due to rarity as much as ZCP.
                2003.5 ///M3 - Laguna Seca Blue - Black - SMG Delete

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
                  Non sunroof cars have always commanded a premium, for e46s and other/older BMWs-- long after people stop tracking them. If you're buying a car for resale, in order of importance:
                  Coupe
                  low miles
                  6mt
                  fun color
                  ZCP
                  fun interior color
                  post 2003
                  no sunroof
                  manual seats

Not listing that as my order of values, just things that influence long term resale, in order of importance.
                  I think part of what's so interesting to me about this car is how these preferences vary so much from "classic" classic car preferences, which would say:
                  a. Latest model year;
                  b. Low mileage;
                  c. Coupes over sedans, convertibles over coupes
                  d. Manual over Automatic, then
                  e. Color Combo

I think part of the difference is the real or imagined track focus of today's would be collectors of this car.

I think part of it is this car being available in so many different configurations. Obviously part of the world thinks the number of configurations means only some will be valuable, and part of the world thinks the number of configurations means all will be valuable. I'll be interested in seeing how (@obioban I think) wagon S54 does when it goes for sale, hopefully on BaT. On balance I'm torn between this being like the Porsche 928 / BMW 850, where pretty much only the manuals matter, the 911's where there's a slight difference for Sport Chrono v Manual, or the MB R129 SL where the manual got lost in the sauce over engine choices and no AMG ever came in a manual, despite it clearly being a track focused heritage.

For me it's an idle curiosity thing -- I chose what I chose and I'm ahead either way.

maw

Comment

Originally posted by maw1124 View Post

I think part of what's so interesting to me about this car is how these preferences vary so much from "classic" classic car preferences, which would say:
                    a. Latest model year;
                    b. Low mileage;
                    c. Coupes over sedans, convertibles over coupes
                    d. Manual over Automatic, then
                    e. Color Combo

I think part of the difference is the real or imagined track focus of today's would be collectors of this car.

I think part of it is this car being available in so many different configurations. Obviously part of the world thinks the number of configurations means only some will be valuable, and part of the world thinks the number of configurations means all will be valuable. I'll be interested in seeing how (@obioban I think) wagon S54 does when it goes for sale, hopefully on BaT. On balance I'm torn between this being like the Porsche 928 / BMW 850, where pretty much only the manuals matter, the 911's where there's a slight difference for Sport Chrono v Manual, or the MB R129 SL where the manual got lost in the sauce over engine choices and no AMG ever came in a manual, despite it clearly being a track focused heritage.

For me it's an idle curiosity thing -- I chose what I chose and I'm ahead either way.

maw
                    To my knowledge, there's only been one M3 converted e46 wagon on BaT recently:
                    Bid for the chance to own a No Reserve: S54-Powered 2002 BMW 325i Sport Wagon 6-Speed at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #55,493.

I'm hoping mine does better since it's "lower mileage" ("only" 210,000) and better done (well, IMHO anyway... but I'm clearly biased).

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                    2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Originally posted by maw1124 View Post

I'll be interested in seeing how (@obioban I think) wagon S54 does when it goes for sale, hopefully on BaT.

maw
                      I honestly hope it doesn't go on BAT. I think for sale on here it would do fine.

Comment

...and better done (well, IMHO anyway... but I'm clearly biased).
                        Yours has the proper M3 fenders, correct? How did you handle the rear muffler (duals on both side or something else)?

Of course an on-Board sale is best. It just won't let you compare BaT hype, which is perhaps less important.

maw

Comment

I might list it up here for a similar price that that one sold for one BaT... but if there's no takers, going to list it up over there before reducing the price over here :P

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                          2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

My brother is list his up this spring. Not super low miles, but...
                            Coupe
                            <50,000 miles
                            6mt (though it's converted from SMG)
                            ZCP
                            Interlagos on Cin
                            no sunroof
                            manual seats

... should do reasonably well...
                            That's bound to fetch a high price. What would be the "unicorn" US M3 out there that would fetch the highest premium? I'm thinking either:

LSB
                            Manual
                            Slicktop
                            30k miles >
                            Manual seats
                            Imola/Cinn/LSB interior or rare color (personally I'd like plain old black but these bright interiors seem like they're loved)

or

ZCP
                            Silver Gray / Interlagos
                            Manual
                            Slicktop
                            30k miles >
                            Manual seats
                            Imola/Cinn/LSB interior or rare color

Maybe one of the individual-order colors would fetch more?

Just wait til we get some CSLs in the the US after the 25-year rule...

Comment

Originally posted by shibui View Post
                              What would be the "unicorn" US M3 out there that would fetch the highest premium?
                              ZCP
                              LSB
                              Manual
                              Slicktop
                              Low miles
                              Manual m texture interior
                              No options (no HK, no heated seats, no nav, etc)

I don't know if such a car exists, but if it does, I think it would sell for more than $100k on BaT.
                              2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

ZCP
                                LSB
                                Manual
                                Slicktop
                                Low miles
                                Manual m texture interior
                                No options (no HK, no heated seats, no nav, etc)

I don't know if such a car exists, but if it does, I think it would sell for more than $100k on BaT.
                                Oh yeah, I forgot about the m-texture interior. That would probably be the best interior option if you're trying to sell a car. Ditto on the no options.

Could one individually order a LSB car after 2003?

EDIT: I guess all of these + a dealer-installed Dinan kit (S2 since the S3 came with a supercharger) would be the unicorn.
                                Last edited by shibui; 02-03-2022, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X