No announcement yet.

The carbon slicktop thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The biggest PITA rare part to find for this conversion are the CSL specific roof rails. ^
    Headliner and everything else is no problem.
    TiAG 6mt Coupe | KARBONIUS | SUPERSPRINT | FIKSE WHEELS | OEM CSL | MILE END COMPOSITES | AST 5200 | HOTCHKIS | BREMBO | RECARO | BEISAN | CATCAMS | CP-CARILLO | TMS | RTD | ROGUE ENGINEERING | AKG MOTORSPORT | HTE PERFORMANCE

Comment

Originally posted by mainstreamer00 View Post
      The biggest PITA rare part to find for this conversion are the CSL specific roof rails. ^
      Schmeidmann has them. I was about to cancel my order and get non CSL rails, have them painted, and then install those, but Scheidmann said they had it. 2wks was all it took.

Comment

#1 for Schmeidmann. I got my rails from them to.

Comment

Originally posted by fullyflaredd View Post
          Wanted to provide an update regarding GS roofs. They've been pretty unresponsive since asking for pics and given that it's a pretty pricey item and they're overseas, I would rather not setup a group buy only for people to be disappointed after shelling out a decent sum of money.

However another forum member is currently helping by reaching out to quite a few local manufacturers to see if we can get something going. We are hoping to get a RKP one going as they're probably the highest quality aside from Karbonius, and Karbonius doesn't really do group buys anymore. Will keep you all posted.
          Don't count out 2m Autowerks. Seriously do great work.

Comment

Originally posted by ra2fanatic View Post

Schmeidmann has them. I was about to cancel my order and get non CSL rails, have them painted, and then install those, but Scheidmann said they had it. 2wks was all it took.

Under normal circumstances, totally agree. ^
            I did my roof in April, and had ordered rails from my local dealer.
            1 side arrived, and the other was deemed unavailable by BMW - it has also since been backordered through all the usual suspects (ECS/Schmiedmann etc) since this spring, with no end date in sight.

Anyway, I've previously posted about this ordeal, ended up finding one on Ebay.. it's something to consider for anyone wanting to do a roof over this winter (for example), and whose OCD can't handle the stock rails
            TiAG 6mt Coupe | KARBONIUS | SUPERSPRINT | FIKSE WHEELS | OEM CSL | MILE END COMPOSITES | AST 5200 | HOTCHKIS | BREMBO | RECARO | BEISAN | CATCAMS | CP-CARILLO | TMS | RTD | ROGUE ENGINEERING | AKG MOTORSPORT | HTE PERFORMANCE

Comment

Originally posted by Cronenberged View Post

I have met with 2M Autowerks before and they're really cool guys. I can go over there in person and ask about a group buy after Xmas.
              Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Under normal circumstances, totally agree. ^
                I did my roof in April, and had ordered rails from my local dealer.
                1 side arrived, and the other was deemed unavailable by BMW - it has also since been backordered through all the usual suspects (ECS/Schmiedmann etc) since this spring, with no end date in sight.

Anyway, I've previously posted about this ordeal, ended up finding one on Ebay.. it's something to consider for anyone wanting to do a roof over this winter (for example), and whose OCD can't handle the stock rails
                Originally ordered mid Nov and wasn't expecting to see them until Feb, but then it shipped in 3 weeks. Got lucky I suppose. Hopefully the roof will be done next week...

Comment

I'm in SoCal as well and would be interested in joining a group buy. Have you guys considered Lang Racing?

Comment

What’s the parts total? Around $3k am I right? I think the trouble is the labor, which is maybe $6k?

Comment

RKP Roof: $1490
                      OEM Roof Bow: $116.46
                      CSL Headliner: 598.57
                      CSL Roof Molding: $524.55
                      Alcantara Headliner and Pillar Wrapping: $550
                      Sealing Gaskets: $83.01
                      Sound Dampening Material, 20sq ft: $117.17
                      Heat Insulation: Second Skin Mega Zorbe, 8sq ft: $137
                      Windshield: $437.53
                      Labor: $1500

This was a tally of what I receipts I had. There are other bits and pieces that I bought along the way, but those I decided to leave off since this is the crux of the build most people will use. Whatever else you replace is on you, but this was the majority of pieces you'll want. The windshield is subjective. I'm already taking it off, but might as well get new glass that isn't pitted.

You guys can debate prices on "you got ripped off" or "I got it at this price", but this is what I got and in the time of this pandemic, if you want a part, you pay for it. at least that's how I saw it...Good luck to the rest of you that go through this build.

Comment

Originally posted by Actuary View Post
                        I'm in SoCal as well and would be interested in joining a group buy. Have you guys considered Lang Racing?
                        Yep spoke with Lang as well. Lang said $1260 for 5+ and $1125 for 10+. Shipping is approximately $200 depending on location within US.

Going to do a summary post of all the options soon and if we can get a consensus on who we want to go with, I'll start a separate thread. We are still waiting to hear back from Karbonius.

Comment

Thanks! Keep us posted, please

Comment

Originally posted by Cronenberged View Post
                            Does 2M Autowerks manufacture their roof or are they a dealer for RKP, DTM, etc.?
                            MVP Track Time

Comment

Then maybe Karbonius is the best option as you can reuse non-csl rails?

Comment

Originally posted by fullyflaredd View Post

Yep spoke with Lang as well. Lang said $1260 for 5+ and $1125 for 10+. Shipping is approximately $200 depending on location within US.

Going to do a summary post of all the options soon and if we can get a consensus on who we want to go with, I'll start a separate thread. We are still waiting to hear back from Karbonius.
                                I will go ask 2M Autowerks and get a quote for 5 and a quote for 10+.
                                Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Working...
                                X