No announcement yet.

The carbon slicktop thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My cars jetblack. Probably the least noticeable color to have a cf roof.
    '96 RSP TT6spd Supra
    '05 Jet Black 6spd ZCP M3
    iG: 2jz.jest

Comment

Originally posted by Epsilon View Post
      FAQs:
      Why not use an OEM slicktop roof which is half the price?[LIST][*]From what I recall, the consensus was that it is difficult to weld the thin metal and not warp it. For the cost of the mod, you go all the way.
      While you can weld on an OEM slicktop, you can also use 3M Panel Bonding Adhesive. It's made to do just that, bond panels, and if applied correctly is more than strong enough to hold the roof in place and arguably better than welding. This is what I'm planning on doing with my PY car since I want the roof body color, and painting the carbon panel seems like a waste of money when you can get an OE metal one half the cost. I also don't have to worry about getting the carbon panel perfectly flat/prepped for paint since the OE metal panel is, well, its an OE panel prepped for paint.

I think if I had an AW/Silver/Black/IB I might roll with a CF roof, but for PY/Imola/LSB the roof body color looks better IMHO. Somebody posted some pictures of a slicktop conversion done on an Imola on M3F just before the site when down and it looks fan-fn-tastic.

E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
      Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread

Comment

I posted that picture-- a friend of mine had his car converted to a steel slick top.

It does look really good. But, I'd go CF even if painting-- while the roof panel is half the price, $/lb saved I bet your worse off with steel than CF-- the cost of the roof is a fraction of the cost of the project.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
        2012 LMB/Black 128i
        2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
          I posted that picture-- a friend of mine had his car converted to a steel slick top.

It does look really good. But, I'd go CF even if painting-- while the roof panel is half the price, $/lb saved I bet your worse off with steel than CF-- the cost of the roof is a fraction of the cost of the project.
          You're probably right if you look at it like that. The metal roof is heavier by like 5-10#s, its also heavier in all the wrong places. I've heard rumors that Lang has in the past sold CF roofs that weren't perfect at a discount - so finding something like that might work great since you're going to paint over it anyway. It's a project I want to work on next winter.
          E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
          Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread

Comment

CF also has some noise advantages when it's raining and such.

Comment

Originally posted by liam821 View Post

You're probably right if you look at it like that. The metal roof is heavier by like 5-10#s, its also heavier in all the wrong places. I've heard rumors that Lang has in the past sold CF roofs that weren't perfect at a discount - so finding something like that might work great since you're going to paint over it anyway. It's a project I want to work on next winter.
              A painted carbon fiber panel will never (that ive ever seen) match with the rest of the body. The characteristics of the weave under the paint ...
              '96 RSP TT6spd Supra

Comment

There is no link or part number referenced in the first post for the Wurth Glue that can be used - does anyone know what it is? I finally have a Karbonius CF Roof Panel and will hopefully soon be getting my hands on a slicktop headliner so I am trying to scratch together the remaining bits...

Comment

Originally posted by liam821 View Post

I think if I had an AW/Silver/Black/IB I might roll with a CF roof, but for PY/Imola/LSB the roof body color looks better IMHO. Somebody posted some pictures of a slicktop conversion done on an Imola on M3F just before the site when down and it looks fan-fn-tastic.
                  See, I'm the opposite. I think the bright bold colors are the perfect choice for a carbon roof pairing. Then the roof choice really *pops* against the bright paint work. A CF roof on a TiAg or SG car is nice and stealth though.
                  2002 M3 Coupe | 1988 320i Touring

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	B9650B89-F8FC-4037-A1DA-5807A48D2EEB.png
Views:	1621
Size:	284.8 KB
ID:	16121 Would anyone trust this brand. I personally will not be installing but It’s a group buy for a carbon 2x2 weave

Comment

Originally posted by Jersey_M3 View Post
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	B9650B89-F8FC-4037-A1DA-5807A48D2EEB.png
Views:	1621
Size:	284.8 KB
ID:	16121 Would anyone trust this brand. I personally will not be installing but It’s a group buy for a carbon 2x2 weave
                      Diogo from AMS says theyre a pretty good brand. Not a fan of the 2x2 weave though
                      '96 RSP TT6spd Supra

Comment

Can anyone confirm that the CF rood does in fact increase headroom? I have a huge head and thus a huge helmet, with little to no clearance with a sunroof. It makes sense that it would. Is there a manufacturer that someone has recent experience with that has good fitment? I would think Karbonius would be solid but who knows.
                        2006 ///M3 6MT Coupe Jet Black Track Car
                        [Karbonius] [MCS 2WNR] [Zionsville] [ [SPAL] [Ground Control] [Beisan] [Rogue Engineering] [Vorshlag] [Redish] [CMP] [Bimmerworld] [Kassel] [TTFS] [Apex] [TMS Sways] [Buildjournal] [Radium] [Ultimate Pedals] [OMP Seats/Harnesses] [UUC SSK] [Custom Cage] [Supersprint] [Carbontastic] [MEC CSL Diffuser] [Trackspec] [Street Faction] [Condor] [Hard Motorsports] [AiM] [Maintenance] [Ask me about products and exact weight of front end components]

Comment

Originally posted by Fresh1179 View Post
                          Can anyone confirm that the CF rood does in fact increase headroom? I have a huge head and thus a huge helmet, with little to no clearance with a sunroof. It makes sense that it would. Is there a manufacturer that someone has recent experience with that has good fitment? I would think Karbonius would be solid but who knows.
                          You gain headroom. I’d google for the exact amount, but it’s about as deep as your sunroof cassette.
                          Karb fitment is great - as is their quality/finish.
                          TiAG 6mt Coupe | KARBONIUS | SUPERSPRINT | FIKSE WHEELS | OEM CSL | MILE END COMPOSITES | AST 5200 | HOTCHKIS | BREMBO | RECARO | BEISAN | CATCAMS | CP-CARILLO | TMS | RTD | ROGUE ENGINEERING | AKG MOTORSPORT | HTE PERFORMANCE

Comment

Originally posted by Fresh1179 View Post
                            No sunroof, plus no sunroof headliner, gives you almost an inch of head room.

Seats plus slick top were transformative to my on track seating position. Instead of having to recline to fit, I now give no thought to head room.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                            2012 LMB/Black 128i
                            2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by JeST View Post

A painted carbon fiber panel will never (that ive ever seen) match with the rest of the body. The characteristics of the weave under the paint ...
                              Painted bits of CSL diffusers generally look okay, especially in OEM guise.

Originally posted by STAATS View Post
                              There is no link or part number referenced in the first post for the Wurth Glue that can be used - does anyone know what it is? I finally have a Karbonius CF Roof Panel and will hopefully soon be getting my hands on a slicktop headliner so I am trying to scratch together the remaining bits...

I'd probably use the glue that BMW uses on the E9x. I believe it's this stuff: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...l/83190417144/

Comment

I think this is one external mod that I really want to do, plus it's hard to argue the benefit of that weight savings up above your head. And no paint work needed is a big plus.

Comment

Working...
                                X