The carbon slicktop thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by terra View Post

Painted bits of CSL diffusers generally look okay, especially in OEM guise.
    Cant recall but arent OEM diffusers fiberglass with the carbon fiber flares? The roof being upfront for all to see i feel it would be more notable of a difference if painted. I'm actually surprised someone wants to paint the carbon in the first place
    '96 RSP TT6spd Supra
    '05 Jet Black 6spd ZCP M3
    iG: 2jz.jest

Comment

Originally posted by JeST View Post

Cant recall but arent OEM diffusers fiberglass with the carbon fiber flares? The roof being upfront for all to see i feel it would be more notable of a difference if painted. I'm actually surprised someone wants to paint the carbon in the first place
      Raises hand. I just like a body-color roof. Thats why I'll probably do a metal roof when the time comes.
      E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
      Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by JeST View Post

Nope, they're 100% CF.

Comment

Originally posted by liam821 View Post

While you can weld on an OEM slicktop, you can also use 3M Panel Bonding Adhesive. It's made to do just that, bond panels, and if applied correctly is more than strong enough to hold the roof in place and arguably better than welding. This is what I'm planning on doing with my PY car since I want the roof body color, and painting the carbon panel seems like a waste of money when you can get an OE metal one half the cost. I also don't have to worry about getting the carbon panel perfectly flat/prepped for paint since the OE metal panel is, well, its an OE panel prepped for paint.

Where would you order an OEM slicktop roof panel at a reasonable price? ECS shipping and taxes make it about the same cost as a carbon one shipped from Karbonius.

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Epsilon View Post

Where would you order an OEM slicktop roof panel at a reasonable price? ECS shipping and taxes make it about the same cost as a carbon one shipped from Karbonius.
            I was planning on ordering it here: https://parts.bmwnorthwest.com/p/BMW...318242962.html and then just picking it up. It's in Tacoma WA, which is only two hours north of me. They're selling it for $776. Although they list shipping as $12.95 to Oregon...
            E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
            Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by terra View Post

Painted bits of CSL diffusers generally look okay, especially in OEM guise.

I'd probably use the glue that BMW uses on the E9x. I believe it's this stuff: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...l/83190417144/

The problem is AUD to USD is rubbish at the moment and so is shipping... whereas I have a local Wurth dealer that gives me good prices and I have used Wurth to replace basically all my OEM stuff underseal etc so I am comfortable with Wurth as an OEM replacement I just dont know what equivalent glue they provide to bond the roof on...

Comment

Originally posted by STAATS View Post

The problem is AUD to USD is rubbish at the moment and so is shipping... whereas I have a local Wurth dealer that gives me good prices and I have used Wurth to replace basically all my OEM stuff underseal etc so I am comfortable with Wurth as an OEM replacement I just dont know what equivalent glue they provide to bond the roof on...
                You don't have to order from ECS, that stuff should be available from any BMW parts vendor.

Comment

Originally posted by liam821 View Post

I was planning on ordering it here: https://parts.bmwnorthwest.com/p/BMW...318242962.html and then just picking it up. It's in Tacoma WA, which is only two hours north of me. They're selling it for $776. Although they list shipping as $12.95 to Oregon...
                  I ordered it to see if they'd honor the $12.95 shipping and of course they did not. =p They wanted close to $400 to ship.

In other news, there's a headliner on Ebay selling for $300 that needs to be reupholstered in case anyone is looking for local pickup in New Jersey. Search item number 143446606317.

Comment

Anyone have experience with the DTM carbon roof?

Comment

Never heard of DTM mentioned in the forums before, but they are really low cost at $695 for FRP and $995 for carbon and $150 flat ship.

https://dtmfiberwerkz.com/index.php?...product_id=259

Last edited by Epsilon; 11-13-2020, 12:25 AM.

Comment

if you have the car apart it's worth your time to avoid buying this and instead use melamime foam to to absorb sound

https://www.secondskinaudio.com/soun...ega-zorbe-foam

it's slightly lighter and actually designed for it's intended purpose. the OE stuff is pretty much chopped up jeans and tshirts glued together.
                        4 sq feet is enough to insulate the roof

Comment

Originally posted by usdmej View Post

if you have the car apart it's worth your time to avoid buying this and instead use melamime foam to to absorb sound

https://www.secondskinaudio.com/soun...ega-zorbe-foam

it's slightly lighter and actually designed for it's intended purpose. the OE stuff is pretty much chopped up jeans and tshirts glued together.
                          4 sq feet is enough to insulate the roof
                          Hard to believe it's lighter-- the factory stuff is effectively weightless.

I could believe it works better.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                          2012 LMB/Black 128i
                          2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Cool mod, bit of a steep price for 52lbs and an inch of headroom, but I get it.
                            http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
                            '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
                            '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

Hard to believe it's lighter-- the factory stuff is effectively weightless.

I could believe it works better.

have you ever held a magic eraser? the factory cotton jute is relatively much heavier

Comment

My Lang Racing Roof. Weave and fit is perfect, carbon is strong enough to stand on. Only problem is it did not come lacquered so had to do it myself.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X