No announcement yet.

The carbon slicktop thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shipping TBD from Karbonius. It's in David's hands regarding a GB. Ana seemed positive on a few key items - no, not the airbox though : (

Thanks for the heads up. I've set them up as Coming Soon. You can get on waiting lists per product to stay updated.
    Last edited by Epoustouflant; 01-24-2022, 11:34 AM.

Comment

For those that have done this as a DIY or had a shop done it, I have a question.

When fitting these roofs, is there anything that has to be massaged in the actual roof opening of the car? Or once the steel panel/roof is removed (sunroof top in my case), is it only a matter of fitting the roof to the opening/car? I have no experience installing one of these.

Reason #1 for my question. My car is at a shop at the moment in the beginning stages of a full respray. My Slonik carbon roof has been stuck in Russian customs since Jan 4. It originally shipped Dec 7, was returned to Slon for some reason (not their fault), and has been stalled in customs since Jan 4 on it's 2nd trip through. I told the shop to just cut the roof out, paint the car and I'll fit the roof to the car myself once it comes in. However, they are extremely hesitant to go this route because they are a perfectionist restoration shop (not BMW specific) and are their argument is that carbon body panels never "just fit" and always require some modification to the opening. I'm fairly certain that is NOT the case with these carbon roofs, and they only need to be fit to the car. That is, the roof is trimmed to fit the opening, not the other way around.

Reason #2 for asking. I'm leaning towards not having them cut the steel roof out because I do not know when this roof will leave Russia. I'm at about the 75 day mark in transit and thought for sure it would be here by now. But cutting a roof out of your car without knowing for sure when the replacement will show up... taxing on the nerves.

Not Slon Workshop's fault, shit happens.
      Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Get the roof bow welded while it's at the shop. Reason #2 answers your question.

Also, I believe you want to drill the spot welds to slowly remove the steel roof versus "cut the steel roof". If Slonik's carbon roof is a 1:1 copy, then you wouldn't need modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Epsilon View Post
          Get the roof bow welded while it's at the shop. Reason #2 answers your question.

Also, I believe you want to drill the spot welds to slowly remove the steel roof versus "cut the steel roof". If Slonik's carbon roof is a 1:1 copy, then you wouldn't need modifications.
          A bit more details. I have Slonik's carbon roof bow on the way too, so planning to bond that plus the roof, rather than welding in a BMW steel roof bow.

When I said "cut the roof out" it was tongue and cheek - I know you have to drill or sand out the spot welds. I'm leaning toward belt sanding them out if I end up doing this myself.

Edit: Here is the belt sander, made specifically for this kind of task: https://www.nationaltoolwarehouse.co...r-P296676.aspx
          Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

I put in the oem roof bow and didnt weld it. I use bonding epoxy and rivets. Holding up just fine.

Comment

anyone know if the Karb roof allows me to keep my roof rack mounting points? I know it’s pretty much the only one that lets you use the oem rails but I love my roof box and wanna see if I can still be able to keep it

Comment

Originally posted by wildm333 View Post
                anyone know if the Karb roof allows me to keep my roof rack mounting points? I know it’s pretty much the only one that lets you use the oem rails but I love my roof box and wanna see if I can still be able to keep it
                My installer offered to drill through the roof to keep access to the mounts. So I guess it can be done but I opted to cover them up since I went with CSL rails anyway.

Comment

Hello All,

Does anyone know of a good body shop in the Bay Area northern virginia roofing contractors that can re-laquer/gel coat an E92 M3 carbon roof and fit to a sunroof car?

The M3 needs to go on a diet (I've already been on one!).

Thanks!
                  Last edited by hoshanaeckhart; 08-05-2022, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hoshanaeckhart View Post
                    Hello All,

Does anyone know of a good body shop in the Bay Area that can re-laquer/gel coat an E92 M3 carbon roof and fit to a sunroof car?

The M3 needs to go on a diet (I've already been on one!).

Thanks!
                    I think TC Design can and will do it.
                    Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Originally posted by wildm333 View Post
                      go ahead and use roof box with rails on your CF Roof. then cringe and cry when something falls on top of the CF roof...

i've never understood why people want to use roof rails with a CF roof. its sketchy with possibly damage and repairs of the CF roof can be more in-depth and comprehensive depending on how deep the damage goes and if it goes beyond the clear coat/gel coat and into the fiber itself... its not like a steel roof that can be repaired/pulled and repainted easily. id the damage is deep then the roof is coming off and getting replaced instead of spot repaired like with a steel roof.

Comment

Has anyone ever seen an Oxford Green e46 with a carbon roof?

also, I would be crazy to install a carbon roof on a slick top M3 right? I feel like the money doesn’t justify the weight savings
                        ‘02 LSB M3 (11k original miles)
                        ’03 Oxford Green M3 (Turbo’d)

Comment

Originally posted by Hallerhan View Post
                          Has anyone ever seen an Oxford Green e46 with a carbon roof?

also, I would be crazy to install a carbon roof on a slick top M3 right? I feel like the money doesn’t justify the weight savings
                          Many buy the cf roof for the look. I don’t think it would be crazy at all especially if you have all the csl parts and plan on keeping the car long term.

although, if I had a slicktop I would leave it.

Comment

Seems like overkill if your car is already slick top, but then again people spend thousands to lose 10 or 15 lbs on these cars in other ways.
                            http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
                            '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
                            '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by Toby22 View Post

Many buy the cf roof for the look. I don’t think it would be crazy at all especially if you have all the csl parts and plan on keeping the car long term.

although, if I had a slicktop I would leave it.
                              id be doing it purely for the aesthetics.. Id hate putting a vinyl sticker on my roof, but maybe that's the smartest way to see if i would like it before fully committing haha
                              ‘02 LSB M3 (11k original miles)
                              ’03 Oxford Green M3 (Turbo’d)

Comment

One question I have not seen asked anywhere here.

What do you guys think that CF roof conversion Is going to do with resale value of the car?

Currently thinking about doing the conversion and it popped in my mind, as it’s the mod that’s not reversible.

I understand that most of you, who did this mod are keeping the car long term, or don’t really care. Just wondering how could be this mod percepted by not so performance oriented or OEM loving buyers, if I sell the car in distant future maybe.

Comment

Working...
                                X