No announcement yet.

The carbon slicktop thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For me, CF roofs hurt value. Despite it being such a cool mod (and expensive), unless you can be very very sure of the job that was done, it's a big liability. I'm mostly speaking to the install, but even the piece itself can deteriorate requiring big $ to replace/fix.

Give me a true slicktop anyday.
    DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by RazorM View Post
      One question I have not seen asked anywhere here.

What do you guys think that CF roof conversion Is going to do with resale value of the car?

Currently thinking about doing the conversion and it popped in my mind, as it’s the mod that’s not reversible.

I understand that most of you, who did this mod are keeping the car long term, or don’t really care. Just wondering how could be this mod percepted by not so performance oriented or OEM loving buyers, if I sell the car in distant future maybe.
      As long as you installed the roof bow and it was competently done I would say it slightly enhance the value. I would make sure it has some sort of UV protection or clear coat on it.

Comment

Originally posted by RazorM View Post
        One question I have not seen asked anywhere here.

What do you guys think that CF roof conversion Is going to do with resale value of the car?

Currently thinking about doing the conversion and it popped in my mind, as it’s the mod that’s not reversible.

I understand that most of you, who did this mod are keeping the car long term, or don’t really care. Just wondering how could be this mod percepted by not so performance oriented or OEM loving buyers, if I sell the car in distant future maybe.
        Definitely depends on quality of the part, install, condition of the roof, etc. If I were a buyer, I'd want a documented install ensuring proper adhesive, prep work, etc. was in order and it was sealed properly. It's one thing to get it installed correctly and another to ensure it prevents water ingress.

Like anything, it can be a value add or a detriment. It really depends on the above and the overall/respective quality of the rest of the car.

I did the conversion, think it will add value in my case, but as you keyed in on already, I am not planning on selling the car so I could care less if it improved or decreased the value.
        Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9392.jpg
Views:	580
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	202729

In the thick of it at the moment
          Last edited by Mtrace; 01-27-2023, 02:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mtrace View Post

Name:	IMG_9392.jpg
Views:	580
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	202729

In the thick of it at the moment
            Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Maybe this was covered but can you bond the cross beam, or does it need to be welded in?
              http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
              '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
              '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Soooooo does anyone have an OEM CSL roof laying around they'd like to sell? Or know where to get one?! Just curious!
                1995 BMW M3 LTW - Alpine White / Anthracite Cloth
                2000 BMW M5 - Imola Red / Imola Red & Black
                2005 BMW M3 - Alpine White / Anthracite Impulse Cloth (Manual) - ZCP - 6MT - Slicktop
                2006 BMW M3 - Alpine White / Black - ZCP - 6MT - Canadian Import
                2011 BMW M3 - Individual Fire Orange / Black - ZCP - 6MT - Slicktop - Dinan Upgrades
                2011 BMW 1M - Alpine White / Black - Canadian Import

Comment

For those that went with the Euro Headliner without the hump, what did you do with your motion sensor in the middle? Or should I just get the one with the hump?

Comment

Originally posted by ImAzn View Post
                    For those that went with the Euro Headliner without the hump, what did you do with your motion sensor in the middle? Or should I just get the one with the hump?
                    Doesn’t the “euro headliner” have the option of cutting the marked hole or leaving intact. The motion sensor doesn’t really take space behind the hole, other than the white plastic bracket backing and to hide wiring.
                    6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

I believe euro is perforated so you could cut it out. I don't know if the plastic would fit or not since it snaps in and does sit up a bit from the headliner. I guess worst case you could trim the plastic shorter too

Comment

Originally posted by ImAzn View Post

Name:	9EE1D637-09E5-425F-9D46-FDFB389B94C0.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	207113 ..
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post
                          Maybe this was covered but can you bond the cross beam, or does it need to be welded in?
                          This guy bonded and added rivets.

Comment

Finally got my Karb roof installed thanks to Kings Auto Body in Huntington Beach. The weave on the roof is exceptional. No QC issues to note for the clear coat or finish. The roof is getting Suntek PPF done this week. I had a chance to look at Xpel and Suntek on CF roofs and prefer Suntek due to the smoothness of the film whereas Xpel is more heavy-duty and comes with a noticeable orange peel.

Huge shout out to Tbonem3 for the glam shots. The iPhone 14 Pro would not have done this justice.

Click image for larger version  Name:	nick+sge46 (6).jpg Views:	0 Size:	78.9 KB ID:	219931
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	nick+sge46 (7).jpg Views:	0 Size:	22.3 KB ID:	219932
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	nick+sge46 (8).jpg Views:	0 Size:	29.9 KB ID:	219933
                            Last edited by AWE46M3; 05-30-2023, 09:36 PM.
                            '02 ///M3 Alpine White / Cinnamon 6MT

Comment

Originally posted by AWE46M3 View Post
                              Finally got my Karb roof installed thanks to Kings Auto Body in Huntington Beach. The weave on the roof is exceptional. No QC issues to note for the clear coat or finish. The roof is getting Suntek PPF done this week. I had a chance to look at Xpel and Suntek on CF roofs and prefer Suntek due to the smoothness of the film whereas Xpel is more heavy-duty and comes with a noticeable orange peel.

Huge shout out to Tbonem3 for the glam shots. The iPhone 14 Pro would not have done this justice.

Click image for larger version Name:	nick+sge46 (6).jpg Views:	0 Size:	78.9 KB ID:	219931
                              Click image for larger version Name:	nick+sge46 (7).jpg Views:	0 Size:	22.3 KB ID:	219932
                              Click image for larger version Name:	nick+sge46 (8).jpg Views:	0 Size:	29.9 KB ID:	219933
                              How much was the installation in total? I found their rate-to-quality ratio to be very reasonable on some paint work they did for me.
                              http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
                              '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
                              '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by AWE46M3 View Post

Click image for larger version Name:	nick+sge46 (6).jpg Views:	0 Size:	78.9 KB ID:	219931
                                Click image for larger version Name:	nick+sge46 (7).jpg Views:	0 Size:	22.3 KB ID:	219932
                                Click image for larger version Name:	nick+sge46 (8).jpg Views:	0 Size:	29.9 KB ID:	219933
                                wow that looks clean

Comment

Working...
                                X