The carbon slicktop thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Onefastsicilian View Post
    Also, wanted to show a picture of the slicktop headliner, pillars and rear decklid in Genuine Anthracite Alcantara.
    Originally posted by JeST
    Liking these alcantara headliners guys 👍🏻
    Either of you get the sunvisors done also?
    Last edited by old///MFanatic; 11-12-2020, 09:07 PM. Reason: added photo link
    6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

Originally posted by oldFanatic View Post

I couldn't figure out any way to cleanly deal with the edges.

Even on the e39 M5 (stock alcantara headliner/pillars/deck). the sun visors are black leather.

I ended up getting some no sticker sun visors and calling it good enough.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
      2012 LMB/Black 128i
      2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Anyone know what happens with the sunroof drains when doing this conversion? I assume it’s the same setup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current:

1997 BMW M3 - Boston Green/Modena
        2003 BMW M3 · Coupe · 6MT - Alpine White/M-Texture Alcantara

Comment

Originally posted by BMWahba View Post
          Anyone know what happens with the sunroof drains when doing this conversion? I assume it’s the same setup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          With no sunroof comes no sunroof drains.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
          2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

So what are you supposed to do with the sunroof drains on a sunroof car when doing the conversion?

Current:

1997 BMW M3 - Boston Green/Modena
            2003 BMW M3 · Coupe · 6MT - Alpine White/M-Texture Alcantara

Comment

Originally posted by BMWahba View Post
              So what are you supposed to do with the sunroof drains on a sunroof car when doing the conversion?
              I'm pretty sure all cars have the metal portion of the drains, stock-- including factory slicktop cars.

The soft lines just go in the trash.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
              2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Originally posted by oldFanatic View Post

The guy who did mine said he could do them but they would be about $350, i said no thanks!.. The sunvisors don't look bad though so I'm ok with it.
                Instagram: @_Frank_Stone_

Comment

What's the consensus on the "best roof" in terms of fit and quality? Karbonius? IND? I would assume the OEM "slicktop" panel would be the easiest and cheapest but I'd think when it comes time to sell the car a car with a CF roof will sell for marginally more than a car with an "after the fact" BMW panel added on.

Comment

Originally posted by cornerbalanced View Post
                    I would assume the OEM "slicktop" panel would be the easiest
                    I would think that panel bonding a CF roof would be easier than welding and painting a metal one.
                    2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Can’t say which top is the best but I went with IND’s RKP CF Roof. IND has some amazing builds of their own so that’s what I’m going to base my decision on. Should be here next week.

Comment

I went with Karbonius, whose finish quality (similar to their airbox) was impeccable. It seemed like many of the other CF roof manufacturers either offer "dry carbon" (non-clear coated), or are more track-specific and note that finish quality may suffer as such. For roughly the same price across the spectrum, I'm very happy with Karb. One thing to note was that their overall fitment was great, except for the front edge at the top of the windshield. It protruded slightly, and had to be ground down to sit flush with the frame.
                        Would still recommend.
                        TiAG 6mt Coupe | KARBONIUS | SUPERSPRINT | FIKSE WHEELS | OEM CSL | MILE END COMPOSITES | AST 5200 | HOTCHKIS | BREMBO | RECARO | BEISAN | CATCAMS | CP-CARILLO | TMS | RTD | ROGUE ENGINEERING | AKG MOTORSPORT | HTE PERFORMANCE

Comment

Originally posted by cornerbalanced View Post
                          What's the consensus on the "best roof" in terms of fit and quality? Karbonius? IND? I would assume the OEM "slicktop" panel would be the easiest and cheapest but I'd think when it comes time to sell the car a car with a CF roof will sell for marginally more than a car with an "after the fact" BMW panel added on.
                          2M Autowerks in San Diego did my CF roof install. They have done a ton of roofs and said IND has best fitment and finish. That being said, fitment was spot on and there was one very small imperfection in the CF. Barely noticeable unless you are looking for it. Overall I was happy with the piece, but it wasn’t perfect.
                          2005 BMW M3 ZCP Black/Black - HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | 288/280 Schrick Cams+DLC Followers | Lang Head | Dinan TBs | Bosch 550cc | Radium Fuel System | Karbonious CSL Airbox+OE Snorkel | SS V1 Stepped+Catted Sec 1+Resonated Twin Pipe+Race | 3.91, 3 stage clutch | FCM 400/600 | Vorshlag Camber Plates, RSM | Rogue ASP | AKG FCABs, SFBs | TMS Front Sway, Camber Arms, Monoball RTABs, Pullies | Mason Race Strut + X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | SPAL | Redish Plates | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Rod Bearings

Comment

New carbon roof video from Redish Motorsport:

Have you wondered how a Carbon Fibre Roof is retrofitted to a Sunroof-modelled BMW E46 M3?In this video, we show you some of the key steps required to undert...

Comment

Originally posted by mainstreamer00 View Post
                              I went with Karbonius, whose finish quality (similar to their airbox) was impeccable. It seemed like many of the other CF roof manufacturers either offer "dry carbon" (non-clear coated), or are more track-specific and note that finish quality may suffer as such. For roughly the same price across the spectrum, I'm very happy with Karb. One thing to note was that their overall fitment was great, except for the front edge at the top of the windshield. It protruded slightly, and had to be ground down to sit flush with the frame.
                              Would still recommend.
                              The extra lip is somewhat on purpose, it allows you to get your front to rear alignment spot on and then just trim the lip as required. I have to trim a bit off my rear lip as well. This is exactly what I would expect from a part like this... I would expect something like this on an OE replacement as well as it allows you to make up for any frame changes since factory...

I have a Karb as well and the thing I liked the most is unlike any other CF roof I have seen it actually had the rail clip mounts on it so you could install your stock rail back in, instead of needing to get a CSL rail... made it easy for me to get my stock rails painted gloss black and clip them straight in... especially with CSL rails currently at $250USD EACH!

Comment

Originally posted by Epsilon View Post
                                Never heard of DTM mentioned in the forums before, but they are really low cost at $695 for FRP and $995 for carbon and $150 flat ship.

https://dtmfiberwerkz.com/index.php?...product_id=259
                                Has anyone purchased and installed the DTM carbon fiber roof? As Epsilon noted, they are a lower cost choice.

Feff
                                MVP Track Time

Comment

Working...
                                X