Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing chain tensioner seal replacement

Hello all,

In the process of fixing an oil leak that appears to have originated from my timing chain tensioner seal. I purchased a new tensioner and seal, as well as the only 32 mm socket I could find that clears the end of the tensioner and has enough depth to reach the hex. I tried 2 different shallow and thin walled sockets prior to this and neither could clear the end of the tensioner and reach the hex.

I’ve read over the Bessian guide that shows them removing the tensioner several time. How the hell do they get a 1/2 drive ratchet in there?! I’ve been fighting mine with thin head, angle head, 3/8 with adapters… nothing clears the AC line in any way. There isn’t enough room for an extension or a strap wrench either.

I’ve searched every s54 forum - tons of m54 content which is a piece of cake compared to this job that at first glance shouldn’t take more than 30 min. I’ve got about 2 hours of cleaning and cursing at this damn thing and still no success. Many people reference the seal replacement but no actual DIY exists that I could find..

Any insight is greatly appreciated guys!

Funny, I just changed my timing chain tensioner today.

I used a 32mm Husky deep socket I picked up from Home Depot and a "Square Drive Socket Cap" I picked up from Harbor Freight.

It's tight, but you can fit a wrench on the socket cap and get the tensioner in or out. Just note that you really can only use this for breaking the tensioner loose and tightening it. Once the tensioner is loose, you'll need to pull the socket off since there isn't enough room to back the tensioner all the way out with a wrench on the socket.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3694.jpg Views:	0 Size:	100.0 KB ID:	154764

P.S. The socket cap + deep well socket approach is mentioned in the S54 VANOS thread here: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-info-thread
    Last edited by tcp; 02-19-2022, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tcp View Post
      Funny, I just changed my timing chain tensioner today.

I used a 32mm Husky deep socket
      With limited space why use a deep socket?
      I used the normal socket and a normal ratchet wrench with no problem of clearance.

Last edited by sapote; 02-19-2022, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by g00b86 View Post
        I’ve read over the Bessian guide that shows them removing the tensioner several time. How the hell do they get a 1/2 drive ratchet in there?!
        !
        Can you use a large Crescent Wrench instead? It is a crushed washer for sealing.

Comment

I just went out to check. No, Crescent wrench wont fit in the tight space.
          I used 1/2" socket and a swivel ratchet wrench. A fix 90* wrench might not work.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-7...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
          Last edited by sapote; 02-19-2022, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post

With limited space why use a deep socket?
            It's the only 32mm socket I have and it worked. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

I recall using a ratchet and a swivel, worked fine. It's definitely weird but not impossible.

On the toughest to reach bolts, I usually go for a breaker bar because it can bend a little past 90 degrees and has a shorter stack height than a ratchet.

Comment

I used an angle grinder on a deep socket just for this job, I guess it's a medium length socket now. Works well in conjunction with those socket caps but I still can't quite get a torque wrench in there so I just feel it out.
                2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
                Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
                Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
                RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
                Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post
                  but I still can't quite get a torque wrench in there so I just feel it out.
                  Same here. The problem is that if overtorque this could strip the soft female threads then super headache, and if under torqued then the washer might leak. To minimize leak, I will coat the washer with some Permatex gasket sealant next time.

Comment

I have the exact same socket. It was the fourth one I bought. I have a lot of 32mm sockets. It still involved pushing up against the A/C line pretty hard and it wasn't easy. That insert is almost essential with an open ended torque wrench.
                    This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                    https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

My motor is currently out of the car. Is this something that should be done because it's $1.29 and"might as well"? And is this as simple as just backing out the tensioner and replacing the washer/gasket, and torquing to spec?

Last question

Should the tensioner be replaced too?

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220213_154306.jpg Views:	0 Size:	175.2 KB ID:	155581
                      Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post
                        My motor is currently out of the car. Is this something that should be done because it's $1.29 and"might as well"? And is this as simple as just backing out the tensioner and replacing the washer/gasket, and torquing to spec?
                        You've definitely got the best access to this that you'll ever have with the engine out of the car, so I would replace it. Undo the tensioner, make sure the sealing surfaces are nice (I usually run some red scotchbrite over them), replace the crush washer and reinstall.

Should the tensioner be replaced too?
                        Nah, should be fine to reuse. But make sure you follow the reuse instructions:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-02-24 at 10.31.45 AM.png
Views:	1148
Size:	441.7 KB
ID:	155665
                        2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

My motor is currently out of the car. Is this something that should be done because it's $1.29 and"might as well"
                          I don't see any oil leak from it, so replacing the washer gains you nothing but it might leak with the new one, just by Murphy's Law.

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post

I don't see any oil leak from it, so replacing the washer gains you nothing but it might leak with the new one, just by Murphy's Law.
                            This is what I decided to do actually. It's fine at the moment and not leaking so...

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

You've definitely got the best access to this that you'll ever have with the engine out of the car, so I would replace it. Undo the tensioner, make sure the sealing surfaces are nice (I usually run some red scotchbrite over them), replace the crush washer and reinstall.

Nah, should be fine to reuse. But make sure you follow the reuse instructions:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-02-24 at 10.31.45 AM.png
Views:	1148
Size:	441.7 KB
ID:	155665
                              Thanks for this. Saved this for future reference!

Comment

Working...
                              X