Bavsound Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post

I can try to confirm this (maybe help me remember). I have the Technic harness (actually, an ebay copycat, but same thing really) in my E90, and I have a spare E46 harness. That would be fantastic as I don't know of any E46 harnesses anymore, certainly not with RCAs.
    I bought a Technic harness back in 2020, pretty sure before they stopped making them. I plan on utilizing it, but what's the benefit if I were to switch to a different head unit, say a Dynavin? I don't mind adding a box in the trunk with an external amp and subwoofer, I just need a more modern audio/blue tooth solution especially when the BavSound speakers go in.

Comment

That was the point I was going to make earlier… which is, the factory head unit doesn’t have a separate subwoofer channel. That’s the buzzsaw that I ran into. So if you ever want to run a sub and, you know, actually control it, then the factory head unit is no bueno. And once you get into changing the head unit, you’re down to factory look alike or no. If no, then Christian’s Enfig units are perfect. Otherwise, you’re down to Dynavin or Other Chinesium, where I chose Dynavin.

But that’s your decision tree, and it starts with sub / amps or no. If sub / amps, then the factory head unit is incompatible, in my view and experience.

I’m happy to know what others think.

maw

Comment

Originally posted by WestBankM4 View Post
        I found this interesting from Baris @ Carphonics, especially since I'm trying to retain the OEM Navigation unit. I'll probably end up going this route since the OEM unit can now support Android, touch screen, etc.

Whoa, that carphonics carplay stuff looks pretty neat. Curious to hear how it is to actually use compared to something like a dynavin, especially the touch retrofit. There's a lot of "hacking" going on to make all that work I'm sure.

Comment

Originally posted by maw1124 View Post
          That was the point I was going to make earlier… which is, the factory head unit doesn’t have a separate subwoofer channel. That’s the buzzsaw that I ran into. So if you ever want to run a sub and, you know, actually control it, then the factory head unit is no bueno. And once you get into changing the head unit, you’re down to factory look alike or no. If no, then Christian’s Enfig units are perfect. Otherwise, you’re down to Dynavin or Other Chinesium, where I chose Dynavin.

But that’s your decision tree, and it starts with sub / amps or no. If sub / amps, then the factory head unit is incompatible, in my view and experience.

maw
          You can just steal the audio signal from rears no? Line out or hi level and run a small class d to power the 6x9 "subs" or better, a 10/12. Then run a knob up front for gain. I always have used an after market amp anyway so I don't know for sure, but other cars can.
          DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
          /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
          More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

You can just steal the audio signal from rears no? Line out or hi level and run a small class d to power the 6x9 "subs" or better, a 10/12. Then run a knob up front for gain. I always have used an after market amp anyway so I don't know for sure, but other cars can.
            Maybe. IDK. I just know having the sub w/a dedicate amp back there and trying to control it with the bass level and fader on the factory head unit wasn’t working for me from song to song.

It was that issue exactly that led me to a new head unit with a sub channel and LPF and all that fun stuff (Dynavin D99). Now, once amplified the D99 sound quality was trash, but that’s since been rectified.

In hindsight, I wouldn’t do anything that didn’t have a dedicated sub pre-out and built in EQ+time correction… not in 2023… you gotta be kidding me — fugghetaboutit.

maw

EDIT… Tbonem3 yes, you can. That’s how my BavSound was connected with the factory head unit, where I had to fade to rear to adjust the relative sub level to the cabin, and didn’t have any F/R fading in the cabin. I didn’t like that way which was why I changed head units.
            Last edited by maw1124; 03-02-2023, 04:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by maw1124 View Post

maw
              Ok maw, lets say I move the Dynavin route (thanks for the link to the Enfig, I didn't know those existed!) now the stereo has separate subwoofer channels? My choice at that point would be to add in an aftermarket amp and sub and power it off the headunit? I screwed up and bought the RF 6x9's in haste after reading a thread, then turned and bought some low profile CT 6x9's speakers that I read about as well, but I don't think either will work because of the OHM's with the OEM HK setup. They'll both fit nicely in the box, the RF's like Tbonem3 has shown in this thread does quite nicely actually. If I had the Dynavin, I could buy a separate amp and just power the two 6x9's in the rear correct? The factory BM53 gets tossed as well? Technic harness would be moot at this point if I decided to go aftermarket headunit?

Comment

Dynavin head unit... 4-way amp to power the cabin (including the 6x9). Here, the 6x9 function as coax or 3-way speakers (your choice), not as quasi-subwoofers. They also sell 6x9 subwoofers if you search hard enough, but that leaves you with only bass in the rear. If you want to add a sub later (with its own amp), you'd have that option.

If you want to add a sub now, get a 5 or 6 channel amp. Either way, the Dynavin comes with a separate subwoofer control. To be fair, so does any Sony, Alpine, Kenwood, etc., except the Dynavin retains stock-ish look. It was better before they started stamping their name on the front, but you can get creative and paint or black marker over that pre-install if it bothers you.

If it was me, I'd do a head unit that gives me the sub option later, listen to it without and see if I like it, then do the sub at a time and on terms of my choosing. Trying to make 6x9 "act" like a subwoofer only makes sense if you're going for weight savings. For one looking for a luxury experience and adding sound deadener, that makes no sense to me. Just add a subwoofer, now or later. In the trunk on the driver side opposite the battery seems most logical to me.

Make sense?

maw

EDIT... I have a vert + a subwoofer + 2 amps in the back + sound deadener all over the place. But I make no pretense about this being a track-ish race-ish car. It's an athletic luxo-drop top cruiser that's way cheaper than a Bentley for me. At this price point I just don't have to care so much. If it was a Bentley I might actually drive it carefully, and what's the fun in that?
                Last edited by maw1124; 03-05-2023, 04:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by WestBankM4 View Post

Ok maw, let's say I move the Dynavin route (thanks for the link to the Enfig, I didn't know those existed!) now the stereo has separate subwoofer channels? My choice at that point would be to add in an aftermarket amp and sub and power it off the headunit? I screwed up and bought the RF 6x9's in haste after reading a thread, then turned and bought some low profile CT 6x9's speakers that I read about as well, but I don't think either will work because of the OHM's with the OEM HK setup. They'll both fit nicely in the box, the RF's like Tbonem3 has shown in this thread does quite nicely actually. If I had the Dynavin, I could buy a separate amp and just power the two 6x9's in the rear correct? The factory BM53 gets tossed as well? Technic harness would be moot at this point if I decided to go aftermarket headunit?
                  Another way to do the same thing would be going with a JL Audio DSP amp, which will take the speaker level signal from your factory head unit, break it up into separate channels, then let you configure and reassemble it to your speakers in whatever format you want (4, 5, 6, 7, 8 or 9 channels, depending upon which amp you buy). But those are expensive in both time and money, so unless you like playing with that kind of stuff I'd stay with the simple way I described above, LOL.

maw

Comment

I can try to confirm this (maybe help me remember). I have the Technic harness (actually, an ebay copycat, but same thing really) in my E90, and I have a spare E46 harness. That would be fantastic as I don't know of any E46 harnesses anymore, certainly not with RCAs.
                    Did you ever try to confirm this? Redoing everything related to sound in my M3 this winter. The car just went into storage.

Comment

No, but if those parts didn't go into storage, I still could. I'll have to check if I have the harness on me. I'll try to remember
                      DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                      /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                      More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

I've got the bav sound and love it as well... but I need to figure out a way to separate the base level from the mids to the sub.

at one time I was interested in sending to OE amp to carphonics.co.uk for them to upgrade... not sure they do that anymore.

Comment

Just curious, but how many of you who installed the Bavsound speakers removed the rubber around the magnet?

Around 23:50 in the video the installer mentions it, but I also noticed many DIY'ers who did not remove this in their videos.

Improve your BMW audio sound quality simply and effectively with these Plug & Play Bavsound speakers! This video describes the complete procedure for removin...

/// 2004 SGM/IR - Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by BearDeXPS View Post
                            I've got the bav sound and love it as well... but I need to figure out a way to separate the base level from the mids to the sub.

at one time I was interested in sending to OE amp to carphonics.co.uk for them to upgrade... not sure they do that anymore.
                            They will still upgrade a CD54 if you’re able to source one. Little bit tricky because they’re uncommon and EU only. I found one on either UK or German eBay and had it mailed to Carphonics.

Comment

I finally installed the Bavsound speakers for HK coupe and wanted to add my experience with them.

Overall I'm pleased with this plug and play option paired with the stock HK 6x9 subs in rear deck. Increasing the Bass +2 made it sound a bit better, and alleviated some of the "missing punch and mid-bass."

HK: sounded warmer, punchier, but also muddier.
                              BS: brighter sound. clarity is improved, voices and instruments seem more delineated. But mid bass is less, sounded like it had less punch and sounded less full.

Sorry, I'm not an audiophile that's an expert on all the terms like timbre etc.

I tried the Rockford Fosgate 6x9s, but did not have good results. It sounded like bass output dropped and disappeared. I dropped the basket with everything connected to check function and the cones were moving but cone excursion looked noticeably less than with the stock HK 6x9s, which I re-installed. Bass is back to stock levels. Maybe I had a bad set of RFs, I'm not sure. I was pretty excited to try it but then disappointed by the lack of bass.

This was tried on my 330 zhp, but the sound systems are the same / close enough. Maybe I'll try the Rockford Fosgate 6x9s again in my m3.

I know some have upgraded their headunit amps via Carphonics, and others have simply changed head units all together, but I think for my needs this is sufficient for now.

Edit to add when doing A/B testing between the stock HK system (in m3) and the BS and stock HK sub (in ZHP), I used an app to set the volume so they'd be close to the same decibel reading. I remember that a louder sounding system will have people thinking it's a better sounding system. Not perfect, but better than nothing (I hope).
                              Last edited by Will; 01-10-2024, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Installed some Bavsound in a coupe recently. The plug and play aspect (minus the rear 2") is very nice, and I see the appeal, making it easier to swallow the price of the kit. The speakers themselves are like any decent speakers - speaker technology has not really changed a whole lot like other electrified tech (perhaps more in the fitment of them due to neodynium versus ferrous magnets).

I say that not to disparage the speakers, but to calm people's expectations - they are not magic. You need an amplifier.
                                I think this nails it. The BSW speakers are good, not great. On a factory amp, the difference is noticeable but you have to really get into the volume knob to tell. Amplified, the whole game changes. It's just up to you how much you want to do. I posted a good YouTube install that brings this forward. Here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh-PR9M4gxk&t=144s

Now there are better door and rear cabin speakers available, slim mount from Focal, so you have choices besides BSW. Back when I did mine these options did not exist. On balance I'd probably still just use the BSW and be done with it, keep it plug and play, for the handle mid-tweets). With the right source and amp, that's going to be fine/great for 95% of the listening public.

BSW = Bavarian Sound Werks = BavSound... company has had the usual startup company turmoil over the years.

maw
                                Last edited by maw1124; 01-10-2024, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X