No announcement yet.

Need advice on followers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

terra did you also use your stock followers or buy schrick DLC?

The grey coating im sure had some hardening properties to it, although for 288s the recommendation was always to go with followers even though a few trusted shops near me have installed them on oem followers. However, not recently ( 5 years ago maybe ).
    2006 Silber Grau Metalizat ZCP 6 MT M-texture (F2AT) - Turner CSL V2/Schrick 280 272/SSv1/SS Sec1/Sec2 dual res/SCZA TI (raw) - FatCat stage 3 ult 400f/784r - EC7r 18x9.5 ET35/CRS 275/35/18 - RacingBrake BBK/MileEnd CSL bumper/Vorsteiner Trunk/Cobra Nogaro Circuit Mtexture/GC RCA/YURKan Cages/Hotchkiss/Vibra-technics/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/htrlo/

Comment

Stock followers on mine

Hearing what followers cost now and replacement cams being potentially not as stout, I may come to regret that. But for now going okay.
      Originally posted by Slideways View Post

Are those the stock cams on the right side? For some reason, I thought you had 280/272s.
      Yep, the ones on the right are what came out of the car

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	220947​I wonder if any of the motorbike followers can be made to work. 11337724819 looks very similar to the e46 part, but seems to be designed to accept a dome shaped shim.

Comment

I purchased a set of the Schrick 288/280 cams late last year. The set I received were also uncoated. I thought this was odd as all the photos showed coated lobes. Bimmerworld told me this is normal and how all Schrick s54 cams are being made now. I was hesitant to install them but went ahead anyways along with Schrick rockers. My intake cam chewed itself up, exactly like the photo above. Exhaust cam still looked perfect when I removed it. Bimmerworld told me Schrick would not warranty the cams or rockers as I did not have proof of purchase for the rockers and I was accused of installing them with factory rockers. (I purchased the rockers from a friend who had them sitting in his garage for the last few years and no longer had his M3).

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan_R View Post
            I purchased a set of the Schrick 288/280 cams late last year. The set I received were also uncoated. I thought this was odd as all the photos showed coated lobes. Bimmerworld told me this is normal and how all Schrick s54 cams are being made now. I was hesitant to install them but went ahead anyways along with Schrick rockers. My intake cam chewed itself up, exactly like the photo above. Exhaust cam still looked perfect when I removed it. Bimmerworld told me Schrick would not warranty the cams or rockers as I did not have proof of purchase for the rockers and I was accused of installing them with factory rockers. (I purchased the rockers from a friend who had them sitting in his garage for the last few years and no longer had his M3).
            I have a feeling even if you had rockers from a credible source they would then fall back to improper install and so on and so forth. Sorry that happened to you man, its an expensive lesson. Overall the quality of parts imho opinion has decreased, and now we're seeing it with really high end stuff, sad.
            2006 Silber Grau Metalizat ZCP 6 MT M-texture (F2AT) - Turner CSL V2/Schrick 280 272/SSv1/SS Sec1/Sec2 dual res/SCZA TI (raw) - FatCat stage 3 ult 400f/784r - EC7r 18x9.5 ET35/CRS 275/35/18 - RacingBrake BBK/MileEnd CSL bumper/Vorsteiner Trunk/Cobra Nogaro Circuit Mtexture/GC RCA/YURKan Cages/Hotchkiss/Vibra-technics/

Comment

That's concerning.

I think the other major cam manufacturer for our engines is dbilas. Anyone have experiences with those?

Comment

I've heard Schrick have changed their metallurgy & manufacturing process within the last ~12months due to materials shortages as a result of the war in Ukraine. Unsure if true, but it doesn't seem too far fetched.

If this is indeed the case, it doesn't sound unreasonable to presume the above changes are having a direct impact regarding the sharp increase of their cams failing of late.

I purchased a brand new set of Schrick 288/280 via Crest Automotive (UK - fyi Roy was absolutely great to deal with!) in December 2022. Received those cams April 2023. Can confirm they no longer come with black coating, rather are polished. They look good, but time will tell whether or not they last. I will be using Schrick's DLC followers.

Comment

Originally posted by terra View Post

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	220947​I wonder if any of the motorbike followers can be made to work. 11337724819 looks very similar to the e46 part, but seems to be designed to accept a dome shaped shim.

good idea. I’m not a metallurgist, but I don’t see the expense in these followers. Besides margin, why on earth are they so expensive?

Comment

I checked Lang Racing for followers. A while back they had a set for $1750 but it doesn't appear they sell them anymore. I almost thought they weren't going to be the right product but sure enough, they sent they are in the Schrick packaging. Stock followers are on sale at FCP for $112ea on clearance but that may mean no lifetime warranty. Turner has the Schrick coated ones for $88 but ship date shows August. (achillesmotorsports.com) Never ordered from them but the DLCs are $94.50 at the moment. It also doesn't state whether they're in stock so maybe call them. It seems like smaller shops may have the DLC followers in stock. I'd call and have them put eyes and hands on them to verify but it's probably your best bet. This forum is buying them all up.​
                    This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                    https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Failing cams mean they don’t have the correct surface hardness (to safe no less than 50RC, ideally 55 to 60 RC), or there is a lack of lubrication.

On a failing cam, it would help to know hardness spec, and you can even measure the follower. It can be that a stock follower is harder than the Schrick camshaft (no surprise as is factory quality), and it will eat it away the lobe. Both need to be of the same spec and well lubricated. Maybe this will help a warranty claim.

maybe this is why schrick only warrants using theirs (matched hardness).

you can also heat treat them and coat them for a long lasting life, but, then you will wonder if they did not unbalance the shaft in the heat treat process

is a shame they manufacturers don’t get it right as they know this.
                      Last edited by maupineda; 06-13-2023, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Thought this was pretty interesting (E60 M5 aftersales manual) - "The valve timing gear of the S54 is still unsurpassed with regard to the moved masses, however, the box-type tappet of the S85 represents an optimum solution in terms of conflicting objectives such as ease of servicing, production engineering and moved masses."

"The S85 camshaft mounted in nine bearings is a hollow chill casting (GGG 60)."​​

Comment

So for what it’s worth,

In process of valve adjustment on my car. Schrick 288/280s, circa 2019, installed with stock OE followed on a ~185k mile engine. Currently just over 200k now. Seems like they’re wearing okay. No flat followers or obvious flat spots on the cam lobes. Some representative shots :

Name:	IMG_3610.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	214.9 KB
ID:	222275 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3612.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	222274 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3611.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	222273 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3613.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	222272

Comment

terra old school cams with that sexy black hardened coating. Enjoy those sir.

Comment

Originally posted by terra View Post
                              So for what it’s worth,

In process of valve adjustment on my car. Schrick 288/280s, circa 2019, installed with stock OE followed on a ~185k mile engine. Currently just over 200k now. Seems like they’re wearing okay. No flat followers or obvious flat spots on the cam lobes. Some representative shots ]
                              to be clear, you used the stock 185k mile followers with new schrick 288/280 cams?

good to know the use cases. Thanks for posting.

Comment

Originally posted by tlow98 View Post

to be clear, you used the stock 185k mile followers with new schrick 288/280 cams?

good to know the use cases. Thanks for posting.
                                Yep

Comment

Working...
                                X