No announcement yet.

Karbonius Carbon Fibre Stock S54 Plenum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great video. Wow, that is a lot louder sounding than I would have expected. Sounds pretty fantastic!
    Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Originally posted by ///MBan View Post
      Notes on the installation:
      - I used silicone tape around the plenum opening. This gives a grippy surface without leaving a residue.
      I'm assuming this can be reused from the stock intake, pn 11611407695?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by mrgizmo04 View Post

I'm assuming this can be reused from the stock intake, pn 11611407695?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
        No, it does not fit. Is just that carbon is too slippery

Comment

These will be specific to the Z4M, but the first video would apply to the E46 M3 Chassis

Forum for BMW 1-Series 3-Series 5-Series 7-Series M3 M5 M6 Z4 X1 X3 X5 X6 Z2 Z4 325i 330i 335i 535i 550i 755i BMW Forums

Comment

My idle control valve hose to intake manifold had been getting loose because I snapped the locking ring during install, so ordered this piece here to replace the fitting https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Y34Q4FZ...roduct_details
            Just made a guess the end was the same size and lo and behold it was.

Went on a test drive and holy hell, the intake REALLY came alive today! so much louder than before.

I took some video of it for my records and compared them against clips. I realized something that has been happening:
            I think my phone auto adjusts volume during recording.
            Comparing OEM manifold vs Karbonius (with the loose hose end) and then finally Karbonius with fixed new hose end and fresh O ring on the videos, they all were similar loudness in videos, but tone did change, in the sense that the bassier notes, from the exhaust, got less with each vid.
            I'm no sound engineer, so asked a friend for ideas, and he suggested I use a low pass filter to isolate non intake sounds.

Video as it came out of my phone

Video with a 150hz low pass filter, showing the road and exhaust rumble more. Can see proportionally, those frequencies dropped off a ton with the air leak fixed aka proportionally a lot less of the sound generated, since this time, the intake was way louder than everything else.

EDIT:
            Had wife plus friend from autocross verify, just to make sure I'm not just deep in some placebo effect here.

Next up, I'm making my own intake setup reusing the OEM boot with a resin printed maf housing, cf velocity stack, and 9 inch filter.
            Last edited by TeddybearCup; 11-23-2022, 07:02 PM.

Comment

anyone have a coupon code they aren't planning to use? Please Pm me.

Comment

Chiming in to say I ordered this 11/3 and it arrived 11/22. Impulse purchase looking for a hint of CSL sound, no good reason. I was not on the priority list initiated here. Install to follow in a few weeks.

Comment

Curious to hear impressions from those who are running everything stock besides this new Karb piece - wondering if you need a wide opening like with that eventuri to get something approach CSL sound or not.

Comment

Originally posted by EYEHAVEYOU View Post
                    Curious to hear impressions from those who are running everything stock besides this new Karb piece - wondering if you need a wide opening like with that eventuri to get something approach CSL sound or not.
                    Yes, you do.
                    Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Based on the videos that were posted, IMO that combo still sound like every cold air intake, albeit slightly deeper with the Karb OEM Plenum. It is not nearly as brutal sounding as the full CSL.

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post

Based on the videos that were posted, IMO that combo still sound like every cold air intake, albeit slightly deeper with the Karb OEM Plenum. It is not nearly as brutal sounding as the full CSL.
                        A bummer if true. I miss the sound of my old CSL box, just not all the headaches that come with it.

Comment

A bummer if true. I miss the sound of my old CSL box, just not all the headaches that come with it.
                          Check the video links provides. With an eventuri it sounds like the CSL.

Comment

Honestly, the Eventuri alone is enough to scratch that itch (esp if you retain the stock muffler) and can't/don't want to deal with the software/smog/MOT aspect. Get it on sale for about $7xx-800 and be done.
                            DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                            /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                            More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

CSL airboxes don't really have any issues if you do them correctly (CSL DME firmware, MAP sensor and tune for your specific setup)
                              2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                                Honestly, the Eventuri alone is enough to scratch that itch (esp if you retain the stock muffler) and can't/don't want to deal with the software/smog/MOT aspect. Get it on sale for about $7xx-800 and be done.
                                yes and no, the tone and warble is just not the same.

Comment

Working...
                                X