Steering wheel swap - can't get airbag to sit straight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering wheel swap - can't get airbag to sit straight

Hey guys, having a weird issue after swapping in a re-wrapped steering wheel. The airbag is sitting a little low and leaning out on the top, is there some trick to lining this all up? I attached everything as it was on my stock wheel coming out, and clipped it back into the plate that holds the airbag as best as I could tell was correct. I cannot for figure out what is preventing it from sitting up at the proper placement. It does not feel like there is more room to click in further. I can jiggle the whole setup around a little. Am I missing something obvious here?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8998 2.jpg
Views:	1386
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	160046

Name:	IMG_8996 2.jpg
Views:	1435
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	160043

Name:	IMG_8995 2.jpg
Views:	1631
Size:	215.9 KB
ID:	160044

Name:	IMG_8997 2.jpg
Views:	1577
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	160045

Oh yea also the horn kind of has a mind of its own now Because the whole setup is not sitting properly I guess? It will go off randomly as I'm turning sometimes. Like the weight of the airbag moves and causes the horn contacts to touch I'm guessing. If I jiggle the airbag around it might stop. Or not. Super cool feature to have in a car while driving around west LA.
    Attached Files
    http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
    '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
    '01 M3, Imola/black

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post
    Hey guys, having a weird issue after swapping in a re-wrapped steering wheel. The airbag is sitting a little low and leaning out on the top, is there some trick to lining this all up? I attached everything as it was on my stock wheel coming out, and clipped it back into the plate that holds the airbag as best as I could tell was correct. I cannot for figure out what is preventing it from sitting up at the proper placement. It does not feel like there is more room to click in further. I can jiggle the whole setup around a little. Am I missing something obvious here?

Name:	IMG_8998 2.jpg
Views:	1386
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	160046

Name:	IMG_8996 2.jpg
Views:	1435
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	160043

Name:	IMG_8995 2.jpg
Views:	1631
Size:	215.9 KB
ID:	160044

Name:	IMG_8997 2.jpg
Views:	1577
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	160045

Oh yea also the horn kind of has a mind of its own now Because the whole setup is not sitting properly I guess? It will go off randomly as I'm turning sometimes. Like the weight of the airbag moves and causes the horn contacts to touch I'm guessing. If I jiggle the airbag around it might stop. Or not. Super cool feature to have in a car while driving around west LA.
    I think it has to do with the wiring. I had the same issue and took off the airbag, re-routed the wires away from any mounting points, and it’s been flush ever since. I hope this helps!

Comment

Thanks, yea I will have another go at it. I thought I was making sure it was away from the wires but maybe that's it.
      '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Pretty sure this feature is standard issue in West LA 😂 – living right off Santa Monica near the 405 clusterf*** really forced progress in my mindfulness practice.
        '04 LSB Coupe 6MT
        All my money goes towards maintenance.

Comment

It's the airbag bracket that got bent when you removed the airbag from the last wheel. Common problem from a horrendous design. Try bending the bracket back or get a spare from a junkyard car.
          2003 E46 M3 TiAg/Cinnamon 6MT
          2005 E46 330i ZHP Imola/Sand

| Karbonius | Schrick | Supertech | Volk | Recaro | FCM | SuperSprint | Turner | Hyperco | GC | PFC | VAC | OMP | Radium Engineering | MPRacing |

Instagram:@thegenius46m

NorCal DME Programming and Coding Expert

Comment

Been reading up and I saw that's pretty common. And I did have trouble getting it out of the old wheel, so I can see how it could have been bent. Is that part available new still by chance? Anyone have a part number?
            '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

That steering wheel looks awesome, you mind if you share details source price etc.

Thank you

Comment

I have had the same issue since I had the airbag recall done at the dealership. Went back to the dealership, they said they don't see anything wrong 🤣 well, I guess if it's not in TIS (or whatever system they are using nowadays), it doesn't exist.

I tried correcting it myself, struggled to remove the airbag and adjusted the wires, and put it back in with no results.

Comment

Same with me, after the airbag recall, my airbag sticks out. Is the airbag bracket the metal piece shown here?

Comment

I don't see what could be bent in this assembly... and the airbag itself has plastic tabs

Comment

Originally posted by toy4to View Post
                      Same with me, after the airbag recall, my airbag sticks out. Is the airbag bracket the metal piece shown here?
                      Yup same piece. Anyone know if these are available new? Part number?
                      '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by HDriver View Post
                        That steering wheel looks awesome, you mind if you share details source price etc.

Thank you
                        It’s a Coby Wheel, good fit and finish for the money. Only neutral/negative leaning thing I have to say is the material doesn’t tuck into the back edges as cleanly as the Tanik one I have in my e36. Also the red stripe is lower end material than the rest of the wrap.
                        '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by thegenius46m View Post
                          It's the airbag bracket that got bent when you removed the airbag from the last wheel. Common problem from a horrendous design. Try bending the bracket back or get a spare from a junkyard car.
                          This has to the most common, likely issue... I recently replaced my steering wheel and found the airbag assembly not seating uniform with the 'new' (rewrapped old) wheel, and initially thought maybe some of the wiring was in the way. I've rechecked the installation 3X - but still sat wonky - never thought that the bracket could be bent (only the right side didn't seat right, and that could easily be a bend of that bracket ~.25-.5"). I assume it would be easy to bend that bracket up (towards you), in previous removal attempts - as when that latching mechanism sticks, I found myself yanking at the wheel with some force.

Comment

I had the same issue on my ZHP. Some fiddling with the wires fixed it.

Comment

So I'm getting that no one has that part number, and/or it's not available on it's own...? Last check before I bend mine back, and likely have to buy a used one.
                              '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Working...
                              X