Steering wheel swap - can't get airbag to sit straight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post
    So I'm getting that no one has that part number, and/or it's not available on it's own...? Last check before I bend mine back, and likely have to buy a used one.
    Doesn't look like it has a p/n as it's part of the wheel assembly. A junkyard or ebay might be it..

2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
    Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
    Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
    RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
    Instagram

Comment

Same problem here. Did anyone figure this out?

Comment

I have not had a chance to do anything about it yet, hoping a new/old plate from eBay might do something helpful.
        http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
        '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
        '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Yup same piece. Anyone know if these are available new? Part number?
          No part number unfortunately. BMW includes it with the wheel. Stupid design. Best bet will be to salvage one from a spare 3 spoke round airbag wheel from a non-m e46, e39, or x5.
          2003 E46 M3 TiAg/Cinnamon 6MT
          2005 E46 330i ZHP Imola/Sand

| Karbonius | Schrick | Supertech | Volk | Recaro | FCM | SuperSprint | Turner | Hyperco | GC | PFC | VAC | OMP | Radium Engineering | MPRacing |

Instagram:@thegenius46m

NorCal DME Programming and Coding Expert

Comment

Yea I figured I would need to do that. Problem is you don't know for certain that it won't also bend as you remove it, or when whoever else removed it.
            '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

I swapped my steering wheel as well and have the same issue. What is the part that is needed, the airbag bucket bracket from an OEM steering wheel or wiring? I added some extra wires for a sequential shift lights not sure if that is causing it.

Comment

The consensus is it's the metal plate/bracket that holds the airbag. I haven't had the chance to mess with mine again yet but I think it might be solved by bending it back. If not, get a used one from eBay and hope it's not also bent.
                '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Don't mean to take this off topic too much but ever since I swapped steering wheels my new wheel tilts to the right slightly as compared to the last wheel which sat centered.

The last wheel as is the new wheel are aftermarket items, but of course they were both built around an OEM core.

My alignment is off and car does pull to the right and the vehicle is getting an alignment soon, should I re-posiotion my wheel so the 2 "tick marks" line up regardless off if that causes the wheel to lean to the right wheel driving straight?

Currently I have the new wheel with the tick mark one postion off of the tick mark on the column to compensate for the wheel not sitting correctly.

Any of you guys swapping wheels have any issues like this? It is strange as the splines in the wheel (and I assume the tick mark) are they same on every wheel, as in they should all be in the same location.

Instagram

Comment

Yea I figured I would need to do that. Problem is you don't know for certain that it won't also bend as you remove it, or when whoever else removed it.
                    Lol. I hoard them from the junkyard now if the airbag already has close to perfect fitment. The bracket does indeed bend on removal if you yank because its flimsy aluminum. Horrendous design imho. The only fool proof way to prevent this is three sets of hands. Two people to press on the clips at the same time while the other person pulls the airbag out evenly. Also be careful reinstalling the airbag as the newly recalled ones dent stupid easy above the roundel.

| Karbonius | Schrick | Supertech | Volk | Recaro | FCM | SuperSprint | Turner | Hyperco | GC | PFC | VAC | OMP | Radium Engineering | MPRacing |

Comment

We have a 330ci and the local junkyard, having even a 3 series around here is a rarity. I want to pull some random wiring/connectors, I may be there this weekend.
                      If this wheel has the same bracket I may be able to take off the bracket, don't think they would charge much for that type of part.

I'll post back if I grab it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220324_154258.jpg Views:	0 Size:	110.4 KB ID:	161328

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by thegenius46m View Post

Lol. I hoard them from the junkyard now if the airbag already has close to perfect fitment. The bracket does indeed bend on removal if you yank because its flimsy aluminum. Horrendous design imho. The only fool proof way to prevent this is three sets of hands. Two people to press on the clips at the same time while the other person pulls the airbag out evenly. Also be careful reinstalling the airbag as the newly recalled ones dent stupid easy above the roundel.
                        Good call on the extra people helping. I might try that. BTW if you have an extra one that you know is not bent, I would gladly buy one from you for a handsome price my good sir.
                        '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post
                          We have a 330ci and the local junkyard, having even a 3 series around here is a rarity. I want to pull some random wiring/connectors, I may be there this weekend.
                          If this wheel has the same bracket I may be able to take off the bracket, don't think they would charge much for that type of part.

I'll post back if I grab it.

Click image for larger version Name:	20220324_154258.jpg Views:	0 Size:	110.4 KB ID:	161328
                          That will have the same bracket for sure. See if you can get it off without bending it! I definitely had to manhandle mine, one of the fasteners wouldn't come loose so I had to press the shit out of it from the back ti get it going, so in hindsight I'm not surprised it bent.
                          '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Sorry, someone pulled the wheel already

Instagram

Comment

That will have the same bracket for sure. See if you can get it off without bending it! I definitely had to manhandle mine, one of the fasteners wouldn't come loose so I had to press the shit out of it from the back ti get it going, so in hindsight I'm not surprised it bent.
                              If you have to yank, just assume the bracket is bent lol. Horrendous design.

If you can release both clips at the same time with an extra pair of hands you can avoid the problem on removal but it’s highly impractical

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Well I got the bracket I ordered from eBay today... it also looks bent but I will see if I can just bend my original one back. Still haven't gotten around to fixing this LOL.
                                '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Working...
                                X