No announcement yet.

Does the CSL have this sound deadening?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im sorry but you guys might be high. For anyone who is using there car on the street at all and has a stiffer than stock suspension this is a hilariously bad idea unless you love rattles and road noise. I used to have my old mcs on a higher compression setting and I will tell you WITH the sound deadening that the OP removed, my dash rattled like a mofo. If you want more induction, remove the cabin filter housing when you want to get rowdy and its a huge difference. Put it back when you want your ac to work properly on a hot day. Lol.

Speaking from 10+ yrs of experience with this shit, you will hate this on the street. CSL only gets away with it because the suspension is soft and roll stiffness is low increase all those to track car rates and drive on the street and you will have a FUN time. I have driven a full stripped and caged E46 M3 racecar on the street with all the sound deadening baked off and parcel shelf delete and I will tell you personally I would NEVER in a million years consider that level of refinement removal for any street usage, and my car is solely a dual purpose street/ track car that is not primary transportation at all.
    2003 E46 M3 TiAg/Cinnamon 6MT
    2005 E46 330i ZHP Imola/Sand

| Karbonius | Schrick | Supertech | Volk | Recaro | FCM | SuperSprint | Turner | Hyperco | GC | PFC | VAC | OMP | Radium Engineering | MPRacing |

Instagram:@thegenius46m

NorCal DME Programming and Coding Expert

Comment

Originally posted by SQ13 View Post
      Okay cool. Thanks for the intel. So I, too, will have bloody hands soon..probably in July. The big question now is do I remove the sound deadening I just installed on the floor and trans tunnel three weeks ago? Added 7 lbs 🤔
      If you perform this, install a decibel meter app on your phone and get a good enough sampling on the same road of before and after for comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by thegenius46m View Post
        Im sorry but you guys might be high. For anyone who is using there car on the street at all and has a stiffer than stock suspension this is a hilariously bad idea unless you love rattles and road noise. I used to have my old mcs on a higher compression setting and I will tell you WITH the sound deadening that the OP removed, my dash rattled like a mofo. If you want more induction, remove the cabin filter housing when you want to get rowdy and its a huge difference. Put it back when you want your ac to work properly on a hot day. Lol.

Speaking from 10+ yrs of experience with this shit, you will hate this on the street. CSL only gets away with it because the suspension is soft and roll stiffness is low increase all those to track car rates and drive on the street and you will have a FUN time. I have driven a full stripped and caged E46 M3 racecar on the street with all the sound deadening baked off and parcel shelf delete and I will tell you personally I would NEVER in a million years consider that level of refinement removal for any street usage, and my car is solely a dual purpose street/ track car that is not primary transportation at all.
        The dash doesn’t touch this sound deadening at all, literally anywhere including the top by the windshield, so it makes no sense that removing it would make it rattle. There are metal brackets in between the dash and this insulation, you can see them in the pics. My car doesn’t rattle with my Ohlins at 350F/628R (with full interior) so I’m not worried about it.

We’ll see this weekend, looks like my coat brackets are arriving early so it will be back on the road.

Comment

Originally posted by Epsilon View Post

If you perform this, install a decibel meter app on your phone and get a good enough sampling on the same road of before and after for comparison.
          Not possible since the car was a stripped out track car that I’m converting back to a street car, and all I have left to do to pull the dash is remove the five pieces of hardware holding it in place. The most I can do get a baseline with my blue car, but the suspension setup between the two cars is different.
          Silver Track to Street Car Journal
          Interlagos Blue Street Car Journal

Comment

Keen to hear the result, my dash has to come out soon for heater core matrix so it could be good timing.

Comment

Originally posted by NZ_M3 View Post

No the CSL doesn't have that dash sound deadening fitted. As I said in the past it basically has nothing bar the one under the pedals.
              The one in the engine bay is also different and a lot thinner and lighter - but that piece is NLA
              So the ETK is showing #7 dash insulation listed for the CSL. Does anyone have any definitive proof that the CSL truly DOES NOT HAVE this? That will clear up the discussion over one person's word vs another which is just chit chat bs without the facts. Let's keep the guessing out of here and provide the facts.

​

​

If you have a track car just remove the blower motor assembly entirely and leave the engine bay open. You’ll have a front row seat to the induction along with a pound of dirt that comes into the cabin when you draft someone through a dirt cloud when they off in front of you. Lol
              Last edited by thegenius46m; 06-24-2022, 02:38 PM.
              2003 E46 M3 TiAg/Cinnamon 6MT
              2005 E46 330i ZHP Imola/Sand

| Karbonius | Schrick | Supertech | Volk | Recaro | FCM | SuperSprint | Turner | Hyperco | GC | PFC | VAC | OMP | Radium Engineering | MPRacing |

Instagram:@thegenius46m

NorCal DME Programming and Coding Expert

Comment

The ETK is decently inaccurate when it comes to the CSL.

For example, that same diagram you posted also shows 51487892711, which is the insulation under the hood. Look up pics of a CSL engine bay and you'll see that they didn't come with that.
                2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

This settles it, I'm gonna have to buy a CSL a rip the dash out to find out. I'll tell my wife I need to take one for the team. Hang tight.
                  Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue​

Comment

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post
                    This settles it, I'm gonna have to buy a CSL a rip the dash out to find out. I'll tell my wife I need to take one for the team. Hang tight.
                    The guy with the 800 mile M3 should trade it for a CSL and bring it to the States to be studied.
                    Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Originally posted by EthanolTurbo View Post

The guy with the 800 mile M3 should trade it for a CSL and bring it to the States to be studied.
                      🤔🤔🤔
                      Not a bad proposition
                      Silver Track to Street Car Journal
                      Interlagos Blue Street Car Journal

Comment

ETK is not perfect. I could probably find out for sure but I don't care enough.

It also shows no such thing as a cdv despite it being installed on all cars.
                        2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post
                          Do it.

No need to pull the dash and ruin your csl either. Moving the gayge cluster out of the way should give you enough room to look. You know, gotta keep that collector value intact
                          2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by thegenius46m View Post

So the ETK is showing #7 dash insulation listed for the CSL. Does anyone have any definitive proof that the CSL truly DOES NOT HAVE this? That will clear up the discussion over one person's word vs another which is just chit chat bs without the facts. Let's keep the guessing out of here and provide the facts.
                            When it comes to the CSL the ETK is notoriously inaccurate. Even till this day we are finding stuff on the CSL that was not listed on the ETK.

Usually for a reply as rude as the one like yours I wouldn’t even bother to respond but I actually did take a few things apart on my car to confirm this as I do with basically all my posts.

I even put my hand up the dash area where that sound insulation would be and confirmed it was not there (not that I actually need to as I have photographs of a CSL being stripped down to bare metal so I know already - but just in case there was an anomaly I double checked it again) The reason I don’t post photos of the strip down CSL is because I don’t own that particular car and I don’t have permission of the owner to show those photos.

but anyways here are mine from my car:

Specifically that first photo where you can see the sound deadening on the bottom of the plastic dash which are on all e46s - that bare part of the metal just below it is where that insulation would be just below the bottom of the windscreen - I put my hand all the way up there and it is simply bare metal.

So feel free to not bother to read my chit chat bs - no one is asking you to.
                            Last edited by NZ_M3; 06-24-2022, 09:02 PM.

Comment

I was gonna say, bold move calling bs on something NZ_M3 says regarding a CSL...
                              Last edited by Thoglan; 06-25-2022, 12:51 AM.

Comment

This feels pretty conclusive now. It also is unfortunately one less reason in the pro column for me needing to buy a CSL...

Love the detective work NZ_M3
                                Last edited by Casa de Mesa; 06-25-2022, 07:40 AM. Reason: Grammar police
                                Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue​

Comment

Working...
                                X