Adam Lz's M3 Exhaust Setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post

It's a clickbait title, he makes his money off of youtube and its the source of his fame. People will buy the exhaust without having heard it in person and a single dyno plot being published. It could lose power for all we know.

Different strokes as they say.
    Youtube's algorithm is also something they have to consider. A video titled "Nice Sound" will get less clicks than "THE BEST SOUNDING EXHAUST EVER MADE", and if your income is based on view counts, you follow the money. If you are an e46 M3 owner getting all of your opinions and direction from YT instead of this forum then you were probably a lost cause to begin with.

2002 M3 Coupe | 1988 320i Touring

Comment

What "sounds best" is subjective of course. I've always thought this was the best sounding E46 exhaust clip I've seen.

2004 Dinan S3-R M3
      2012 Dinan S1 X5M

Comment

Let's not forget this classic.

3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

you really do need to hear an exhaust in person and better yet, in car. no mic or internet video has ever been able to demonstrate the horrific drone our cars with minimal muffling are capable of between 2400-2800rpm

source: former ss race owner

Comment

Since we're sharing exhaust videos. This is the best exhaust note from an E46 M3 that I've heard on video:

BUT, as mentioned above, it's extremely hard to capture the horrible noises that most exhausts make at low rpm on this platform. WOT sounds great in this specific clip, but it's possible that I would find that setup unbearable in person, who knows. For now, I'm sticking to the quiet (stock) muffler and loud airbox formula.
            2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by oceansize View Post
              Let's not forget this classic.

That one always comes to mind when I see video no. 1246 of someone claiming to have the best ever exhaust of an S54.

Gesendet von meinem LON-L29 mit Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Altaran View Post
                That one always comes to mind when I see video no. 1246 of someone claiming to have the best ever exhaust of an S54.

Gesendet von meinem LON-L29 mit Tapatalk

Lol, same.
                Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Originally posted by usdmej View Post
                  you really do need to hear an exhaust in person and better yet, in car. no mic or internet video has ever been able to demonstrate the horrific drone our cars with minimal muffling are capable of between 2400-2800rpm

source: former ss race owner
                  That's because SS race has terrible drone. I do agree that mic and internet videos don't do justice to the good or bad of this platform. I'm working on using a high quality mic and audio processor to capture the harmonics of my exhaust to do it justice.
                  Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
                    Since we're sharing exhaust videos. This is the best exhaust note from an E46 M3 that I've heard on video:

BUT, as mentioned above, it's extremely hard to capture the horrible noises that most exhausts make at low rpm on this platform. WOT sounds great in this specific clip, but it's possible that I would find that setup unbearable in person, who knows. For now, I'm sticking to the quiet (stock) muffler and loud airbox formula.
                    I like that one a lot and posted it in a few other threads a while back. I had my setup sounding pretty much the same with El Diablo, resonated section 2 x pipe, fabspeed catted sec 1 and fabspeed headers. It droned too much and was loud all the time, wickedly so at wot and high rpm but too much for me. Switched to SS sport and it's perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

My car came to me from the PO with essentially this setup. Video is pretty accurate and I agree that the sound at 4000+ RPM is actually really damn good, especially for an S54. It drones horribly at 2700-3200 RPM or so though so highway driving is atrocious, and my girlfriend (now wife) really disliked that pressure in her ears.

The video in the OP is hard to watch due to the annoying guy but from what I can tell .. exhaust sounds pretty good too. I bet it also drones though …

Comment

Originally posted by repoman89 View Post

exhaust sounds pretty good too. I bet it also drones though …

any exhaust that's significantly lighter than stock drones like crazy with one caveat given to the dinan section 3, but as they age they start to drone

Comment

Originally posted by usdmej View Post

any exhaust that's significantly lighter than stock drones like crazy with one caveat given to the dinan section 3, but as they age they start to drone

Dixis doesn't. Sometimes under heavy load on a hill at 2500 RPM but it sounds like a stockish exhaust with headers at 3000 RPM cruising down the freeway.
                          Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Originally posted by EthanolTurbo View Post

Dixis doesn't. Sometimes under heavy load on a hill at 2500 RPM but it sounds like a stockish exhaust with headers at 3000 RPM cruising down the freeway.
                            ooo possibly because it's Ti? afaik the RE exhaust is a copy of that one and it's known to drone

Comment

I'm not saying the Dixis does drone, just that I don't think titanium construction alone would stop drone because I had the Meisterschaft Ti and it droned badly and just sounded bad overall except high RPM WOT I guess.
                              DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                              /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                              More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by EthanolTurbo View Post

This. My Dixis doesn’t drone. Love it.

my milltek and scza did drone, however
                                Last edited by Toby22; 07-01-2022, 04:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X