X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cliff Notes besides don't lower your car? 🍿

Comment

Originally posted by Wernd View Post

First, it was your example. Second, I was simply stating a fact that body roll does in fact affect weight transfer. Your comments were eluding to the opposite
      It was my example to explain that weight is transferred in a vehicle with no suspension or body roll. I stand by my statement that body roll is not a characteristic to concern yourself with when discussing weight transfer, which was what the other poster was worried about.

Comment

Body roll has nowt to do with weight transfer unless bottles of water are rolling back and forth.
        DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
        /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
        More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

I guess I'm corner balancing wrong then 🙄

Comment

Or don't understand physics?
            DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
            /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
            More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by freshprince2421 View Post
              Wondering this too

Comment

Originally posted by K_M3 View Post

Wondering this too
                Stock Height + Stock Suspension = Decent all-around balance of performance/comfort/practicality, but looks dorky
                Stock Height + Aftermarket Suspension = Best all-around balance of performance/comfort/practicality, but looks dorky
                Lowered + Stock Suspension = Trash performance/comfort/practicality, but looks sick
                Lowered + Aftermarket Suspension = Can be good if done right (stiff springs, maybe offset suspension pivots) but often done wrong, biased towards performance while compromising comfort/practicality, and looks sick

Comment

Performance and get good chiropractor. The end.

Comment

Raise your car up like a monster Miata to avoid issues.
                    Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Originally posted by cobra View Post

Stock Height + Stock Suspension = Decent all-around balance of performance/comfort/practicality, but looks dorky
                      Stock Height + Aftermarket Suspension = Best all-around balance of performance/comfort/practicality, but looks dorky
                      Lowered + Stock Suspension = Trash performance/comfort/practicality, but looks sick
                      Lowered + Aftermarket Suspension = Can be good if done right (stiff springs, maybe offset suspension pivots) but often done wrong, biased towards performance while compromising comfort/practicality, and looks sick
                      I wish I read this thread before hand. I have kw v2 coilovers with swift 560 lb linear springs in the front. When I was in the process of installing the coilovers the mechanic had asked me how much drop I want. I told him not much but definitely a little bit more than oem so it’ll look more sporty. Well that “sporty” look resulted in me being about 13.5 inches from the center of the wheel.

now because the kw coilovers are so much shorter than normal dampers, the best camber I am able to get even with ground control camber plates is -3 which is really not good for street use. The car drives amazing and had a great smooth yet firm ride but I am being told that only way to get more positive camber is by raising the car which means I need get a $180 alignment for the 3rd time if I do raise it 😭😭😭.

in hindsight, I wish I never played around with the height. I really just wanted a slightly dropped car with better handling after the coilovers that drove straight.

after reading the whole thread I do agree with OP. Dropping definitely looks cooler but made it a nightmare to align even with camber plates.

Comment

Originally posted by Leafsrule531 View Post

I wish I read this thread before hand. I have kw v2 coilovers with swift 560 lb linear springs in the front. When I was in the process of installing the coilovers the mechanic had asked me how much drop I want. I told him not much but definitely a little bit more than oem so it’ll look more sporty. Well that “sporty” look resulted in me being about 13.5 inches from the center of the wheel.

now because the kw coilovers are so much shorter than normal dampers, the best camber I am able to get even with ground control camber plates is -3 which is really not good for street use. The car drives amazing and had a great smooth yet firm ride but I am being told that only way to get more positive camber is by raising the car which means I need get a $180 alignment for the 3rd time if I do raise it 😭😭😭.

in hindsight, I wish I never played around with the height. I really just wanted a slightly dropped car with better handling after the coilovers that drove straight.

after reading the whole thread I do agree with OP. Dropping definitely looks cooler but made it a nightmare to align even with camber plates.
                        It happens. When you're talking with a mechanic about suspension upgrades you have to be super clear as to the outcome you expect with regards to height, comfort, performance, etc. Talking in generalities is a good way for the you said/he said type of situation you're experiencing.

3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by Leafsrule531 View Post

Which ground control camber plates did you install? For the E46, there are M and non-M camber plates and non-M plates on an M3 allow much more negative camber, which is why you might have the negative camber problem.

There are a handful of options out there for strut mounts/camber plates, but not a whole lot of information on the details and differences. I’m mostly concerned with streetable, quiet options with some sort of isolation. I wanted to see the differences up close and figured I would share the info. Hopefully this makes sense.

You can run non-M plates and get a significant increase in negative camber. Perfect for track, probably too much for street driving.​

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post
                            Which ground control camber plates did you install? For the E46, there are M and non-M camber plates and non-M plates on an M3 allow much more negative camber, which is why you might have the negative camber problem.
                            I was looking at another post from him and he has the GC race plates, I'm guessing that is contributing to his problem.
                            Last edited by oceansize; 07-24-2024, 03:25 PM.
                            3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by oceansize View Post

I was looking at another post from him and he has the GC race plates, I'm guessing that is contributing to his problem.
                              KW V2s with race plates? Assumed those would usually be paired with street plates

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post

I said the same thing in that other thread -- he said they are "def for the M3" because he bought them (used) from a member of this forum. Whether or not that person had the right setup in the first place....
                                Last edited by elbert; 07-24-2024, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X