Tools for bushings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tools for bushings?

I'm going to DIY a full suspension refresh soon and was curious if anyone had a complete list of bushing pullers/press tools required? Thinking of picking up what I can at Harbor freight with their 4th of July coupon.

Thank you

It is probably a better idea to buy tools designed for the car. I am not familiar with what generic things would work from Harbor Freight, but I can recommend this Bav Auto kit. It will make all six bushings on the trailing arm very easy. I think there is a cheaper version on Amazon somewhere, but I cannot vouch for the quality.

This is to line up the RTAB bracket, although you can use a ruler or make your own.

If you do the struts, you need a spring compressor. I have found this to be safe and effective.

For control arm bushings, I hammer them on with a socket. Might be a good idea to buy the right tool. I cannot help you with the subframe.

Comment

Originally posted by K_M3 View Post
      I'm going to DIY a full suspension refresh soon and was curious if anyone had a complete list of bushing pullers/press tools required? Thinking of picking up what I can at Harbor freight with their 4th of July coupon.

Thank you
      FCAB bushing tool:

CTA Tools 8920 BMW Control Arm... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VX0SXSC...p_mob_ap_share

Comment

Lots of curse words...you'll need those.

Subframe bushings will be the worst ones IMO - wonder what the best toolkit for that would be?

Comment

It's so nice to be able to have a shop do these one time with solids and be done with it forever.

I don't envy you diy guys.
          2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

For the FCABs, any old three jaw puller will get them off. Using dish soap to lubricate on install will make it much easier. To the point where you can practically just push them on by hand.
            2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
              For the FCABs, any old three jaw puller will get them off. Using dish soap to lubricate on install will make it much easier. To the point where you can practically just push them on by hand.
              This was not my experience at all. Hence the tool above.

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post

This was not my experience at all. Hence the tool above.
                Huh, I've done it a few times and the soap made it super easy, but good to know. The tool is probably good to have around.
                2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

Huh, I've done it a few times and the soap made it super easy, but good to know. The tool is probably good to have around.
                  Same here. Dish soap made it easy.

3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post

FCAB bushing tool:

CTA Tools 8920 BMW Control Arm... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VX0SXSC...p_mob_ap_share
                    This links to a RCAB tool, not FCAB. Is that the reason for struggle getting them on compared to other's experiences?

"CTA Tools 8920 BMW Rear Control Arm Bushing Kit is high quality, precision-engineered..."
                    Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post
                      Lots of curse words...you'll need those.

Subframe bushings will be the worst ones IMO - wonder what the best toolkit for that would be?
                      This tool is amazing for the rear subframe bushings. It’s exactly what you want. It’s what BMW uses.

https://www.desertcart.com.om/amp/pr...5-3-series-z-4

several guys rent them on other forums. Just Google it with the part number.

with the subframe it took me 10 minutes per bushing. It was downright civilized! Lovely experience actually. The tool is super cool to use.

I think you can actually use it to remove the bushings with the subframe in the car, as long as you replace with solid or poly. But don’t quote me on that. That’s the way the techs do it.
                      Last edited by tlow98; 07-03-2022, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Subframe bushings: 2-jaw puller and a torch. Use the puller to push the bushings out from the top after heating the subframe with the torch. No need to get red hot or anything, just enough to soften the rubber.

Comment

A couple videos my buddy took last weekend when I was doing some bushing replacement on my wifes E46, I just loaded them so the HD version is still processing.

Certainly not hard if you have the right tools and/or experience. Here I don't have the "right" tools, but I've done dozens and dozens enough to make it work. Also my portable hydraulic ram makes it easy once I get the cups, shims and sockets setup correctly.

Sub bushing removal:

Sub bushing install:
                          https://youtu.be/PmQIv4tsAlY

Trailing arm bushing removal (not RTAB):
                          In this video I am using a portable hydraulic ram with a couple different adapters and sockets to remove a bushing from the rear trailing arm of an E46 BMW (...

Trailing arm bushing install (in this case we replaced with ball joints, Non-M car):
                          In this video I am using a portable hydraulic ram with a couple different adapters and sockets to install a ball joint in the rear trailing arm of an E46 BMW...
                          Last edited by George Hill; 07-04-2022, 09:33 AM.
                          '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT
                          Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
                          Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

For some reason the install video link isn't working when I click it in the original post so if not try this one:
                            '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT
                            Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
                            Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post

This links to a RCAB tool, not FCAB. Is that the reason for struggle getting them on compared to other's experiences?

"CTA Tools 8920 BMW Rear Control Arm Bushing Kit is high quality, precision-engineered..."
                              Amazon description is wrong. Its for FCAB. I’ve used it half a dozen times on several BMW e46 models

Comment

Working...
                              X