The Official Bring A Trailer (BaT) Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TexaZ3 View Post

I know I'm in the minority, but I actually prefer SMG2 in E46 to the manual. Out of 5 E46M cars that I had, 4 of them were SMG cars (by choice), and my ownership of the 6MT was the shortest.
    I have 5 other cars with manuals, so its not like I don't enjoy them, or anything - I just feel that E46 with SMG is such a different car, such a departure from a lot of mainstream systems, and SMG-type cars were so ahead of its time when it came out. Part of it my fascination with old tech and systems, part of it is that with CSL software, it is actually rather capable.
    Not only that but many of us have multiple weekend cars. I don’t want them all to be the same. I want different transmissions, cylinders,makes, NA, boosted, etc. I have that range of vehicles and having the SMG in the fleet is nice. Now if I was limited to one car and it was an E46 M3 then I would go likely go manual.
    Last edited by oceansize; 08-02-2023, 09:20 AM.
    3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by oceansize View Post

Not only that but many of us multiple weekend cars. I don’t want them all to be the same. I want different transmissions, cylinders,makes, NA, boosted, etc. I have that range of vehicles and having the SMG in the fleet is nice. Now if I was limited to one car and it was an E46 M3 then I would go likely go manual.
      Exactly! 100%.
      BMW / E46M Interior & Trim Restoration.
      https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/c...ch-restoration

Comment

I was exactly the same way. I had a z3m 5 speed and SMG 46. Sold the z3 and converted the m3.

Comment

This will be an interesting one to watch.

Sold for $91k dollars back in 2021. Will it approach that today or will the market dictate a significantly lower sale price?

Already at $60k with six days left. Had 4,700 miles in 2021 and now at 6,000 miles.
          3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Thank you - hopefully it will go to a loving home. This car is the best E46 I've owned to date.
            I thought you'd see more for the car, $30k-$35k, maybe $40k given its condition. Maybe I'm off base, wouldn't be the first time, but this number is surprising.

maw

Comment

Originally posted by maw1124 View Post

I thought you'd see more for the car, $30k-$35k, maybe $40k given its condition. Maybe I'm off base, wouldn't be the first time, but this number is surprising.

maw
              I'm in the hunt for a GT P car, I can tell you over the last couple of months, the market is softening up. My suggestion is to not buy anything, just wait it out, prices are coming back from psychotic Covid levels. E46 M3's are no different in terms of the softening.

Comment

maw
                I was hoping for $30k, but I'm fine with the result. Reserve was set at $27k, so it got sold just barely getting there. $1360 buyer fee, and we are looking at $28.6K car, which is likely a fair price in an open market.
                Cars over 100k miles usually don't do too well on BaT, regardless of condition or presentation. Plus like @WestBankM4​ said - looks like market is going back to earth a bit lately.

Comment

maw
                  I also thought it did better than this one:
                  https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...-m3-coupe-222/

Bid up to the same price, and while it was pre-LCI and nowhere near the condition, it was also a 6-speed and under-50K mile car. If that is not an indication that the market is weak right now, I don't know what is.
                  Same day, same venue, same color, mostly same options. I definitely thought that was at least a $35k car.

Comment

Yeah I know the market is weak but I thought your car was strong. At least you're happy with it and onto the next. We're still here.

EDIT ... speculators come and go, and while asset prices may change as they come and go, asset values really don't. I guess BaT has more speculators than I thought.

🍻

maw
                    Last edited by maw1124; 08-05-2023, 04:32 PM.

Comment

SMG with over 100K... it was the car's condition and your attention to detail that got it as high as it did.

Like you said, the market is weak right now. That car was an easy 30-35K a year ago, but times are changin'

Case in point, a sub 50K mile car not even hitting 30K

2004 Dinan S3-R M3
                      2012 Dinan S1 X5M

Comment

Yeah I know the market is weak but I thought your car was strong. At least you're happy with it and onto the next. We're still here.

EDIT ... speculators come and go, and while asset prices may change as they come and go, asset values really don't. I guess BaT has more speculators than I thought.

🍻

maw
                        Yeah, I obviously paid more for the LSB, but for a long time owner (of E46Ms) this is all just normal passage of E46 platform getting where it is right now.
                        I have been with at least one E46M in my garage for the past 15 years. I don't really see myself NOT having one at my disposal. I've bought my first one for under $10k, and my last one cost me more than I sold this one for, but this is all semantics. The point is - the cost/price is largely irrelevant. These cars are glorious, and if this car makes an enthusiast out of its next owner - that'll be awesome (he is a first time BMW owner!). I have driven/owned many M cars, and cars in general, and E46M is my favorite car of all time. Again, at this point to me - the prices are just a ticket.

Enough talk. New favorite car:
                        Last edited by TexaZ3; 08-05-2023, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 9kracing View Post
                          SMG with over 100K... it was the car's condition and your attention to detail that got it as high as it did.

Like you said, the market is weak right now. That car was an easy 30-35K a year ago, but times are changin'

Case in point, a sub 50K mile car not even hitting 30K
                          I agree - to a point. I had a lot more in that car. The thing is - that car was a 100%. And there are a lot of cars that are 97%, and its that final 3% that are the hardest (and most expensive) to get right. Obsessing over details, replacing perfectly good parts just because they have scratches/dings on them. buying only/mostly OE parts, etc - you know the craziness when you see it, lol. I was more disappointed people didn't recognize that in my listing - but I guess that is BaT for you, lol.

Comment

Yeah, I obviously paid more for the LSB, but for a long time owner (of E46Ms) this is all just normal passage of E46 platform getting where it is right now.
                            I have been with at least one E46M in my garage for the past 15 years. I don't really see myself NOT having one at my disposal. I've bought my first one for under $10k, and my last one cost me more than I sold this one for, but this is all semantics. The point is - the cost/price is largely irrelevant. These cars are glorious, and if this car makes an enthusiast out of its next owner - that'll be awesome (he is a first time BMW owner!). I have driven/owned many M cars, and cars in general, and E46M is my favorite car of all time. Again, at this point to me - the prices are just a ticket.
                            Congrats on the sale and the new LSB - 6MT or SMG? I haven't been following the market, but given where it seems to be currently, I guess your car did well all things considered.

Comment

The thing is - that car was a 100%. And there are a lot of cars that are 97%, and it’s that final 3% that are the hardest (and most expensive) to get right. Obsessing over details, replacing perfectly good parts just because they have scratches/dings on them. buying only/mostly OE parts, etc - you know the craziness when you see it, lol. I was more disappointed people didn't recognize that in my listing - but I guess that is BaT for you, lol.
                              That is THE point, which the come and go, follow the hot market BaT crowd will never appreciate. As far as cars go, these are about as good as they come, in all forms. Coupe, droptop, stick, paddles, whatever you want here it is (unless you want prestige, in which case you’re a tool, or you want a classic, in which case you’ll need to wait a bit). And when they’re tip top (as this one was), they’re $35k-$40k cars all day long.

That LSB looks glorious BTW. Looks like the first one I’ve seen color corrected.

maw

Comment

Originally posted by mtpktz View Post

Congrats on the sale and the new LSB - 6MT or SMG? I haven't been following the market, but given where it seems to be currently, I guess your car did well all things considered.
                                SMG. I prefer them with SMGs But its a slciktop with manual seats and black interior.

That is THE point, which the come and go, follow the hot market BaT crowd will never appreciate. As far as cars go, these are about as good as they come, in all forms. Coupe, droptop, stick, paddles, whatever you want here it is (unless you want prestige, in which case you’re a tool, or you want a classic, in which case you’ll need to wait a bit). And when they’re tip top (as this one was), they’re $35k-$40k cars all day long.

That LSB looks glorious BTW. Looks like the first one I’ve seen color corrected.

maw
                                Yeah, agreed. It is what it is though
                                Thank you! LSB is unbelievable color in person.

Comment

Working...
                                X